JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I keep hearing our NWFA Liberals tell me there is nothing to worry about with Obama and gun control. So all you who have argued vehemently that Obama isn't going to do any gun control and our guns are safe with Obama as President, what do you say now?

Some how I think this thread will be met with Liberal cricket sounds! Yes I'm calling out you defenders, what ya got to say now? As these in fact the Droids we're looking for? :s0112:

Obama To Unveil Gun Control Reforms In Near Future

<broken link removed>
WASHINGTON -- Half a year after the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), the Obama administration is set to release a series of reforms to the current gun law, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said on Thursday.

The reforms, which are being crafted by the Department of Justice, come after a series of meetings with relevant stakeholders in the Second Amendment debate. But in a nod to the difficulties of getting legislation through a Republican-run House of Representatives, only executive orders or administrative actions -- and not an actual bill -- are expected to be handed to Congress.

Administration officials were coy on the specifics, from the reforms the Department of Justice would recommend or when it would actually make those recommendations.

"The president directed the Attorney General to form working groups with key stakeholders to identify common sense measures that would improve American safety and security while fully respecting Second Amendment rights," Carney said at Thursday's briefing. "That process is well underway at the Department of Justice with stakeholders on all sides working through these complex issues and we expect to have more specific announcements in the near future."

Just how near? Carney would only say "not far in the future." Another administration official said weeks would be an appropriate measurement.

When the recommendations do come, it will represent the most comprehensive move on the gun control front from this administration to date. The president has largely punted on the issue since entering the White House, save issuing carefully worded reactions to Supreme Court rulings on local gun laws or bans.

The Giffords shooting had, seemingly, upped the pressure to implement reforms. Obama himself used the occasion to pen an op-ed for the Arizona Daily Star advocating for stronger state-to-state coordination with respect to gun data, expedited background checks and greater enforcement of the laws already on the books. The Department of Justice meetings commenced not too long later and have continued over the course of several months, according to an administration official. They are now finished.

The end result, one source close to the discussions said, was a package of reforms "not huge in scope." They are largely expected to mirror the topics covered in the president's op-ed. Gun control advocates have pushed for more, including legislation that would limit the size of magazines -- such as the 32-round clip that Giffords' shooter used -- or a bill that would force private sellers to conduct background checks at gun shows -- which was pushed in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting.

The idiot house has nothing to fear now becaue they know they will be gone in less than 2 years. Polls keep dropping, gas prices still high, banks making record profits, unemployment still high, unions still controll him, wall street going to get big bonuses this year, mortgage crisis still going and not at the bottom yet, what else? Oh yeah I think there is a billion new shovels in a warehouse somewhere in Utah waiting to be used but Bush took the key so they can't get in.LOL

I love my change and I think I hear 2 pennies hitting each other and I can keep it.

Nothing to loose so why not go forward with g/c.

Who ever thought he was not going to was an idiot as well.

We have nothing to worry about,
be happy !!

r9ekhx.jpg

Oh great. Prices are going to shoot through the roof again.....

and shortages and hoarding and ??? Executive orders can be lethal. Bill Clinton managed through executive order strip, something like 80,000 + veterans of their 2nd Amendment rights that took about 8 years later for Bush to reverse, but it still wasn't completely reversed. Probably something that will only effect honest citizens and no one else.

Trismn - I will respond - I guess I am liberal based on previous blogs. Exactly what is the president going to do - all I hear is maybe , and might and possibly. I for one feel that there should be a means of limiting criminals, and mentally ill and those that hav been kicked out of our military from having guns. All I have heard on here is that the second amendment is a right but the concepts of repsonsibily seems to have been forgotten. I also feel that if the president puts fire arms restictions out there he will lose his race for the presidency, especially if the gun owners and the NRA push the point. I feel that the so called conservatives can come up with a negative complaint about anything - health care is too exspenve but we dont want reform - we want our gun rights but we dont want to be held repsonsible for the actions of those that have guns. We want to speed but we dont think anyone should break the law unless it is for one of our own justifiable reasons. In short you want the cake and the ice cream and dont want to pay for it.
sometimes I feel that trying to have a conversation on this board is like talking to a group of fanactics
let the flames begin - I know that they are acoming.

James Ruby

Trismn - I will respond - I guess I am liberal based on previous blogs. Exactly what is the president going to do - all I hear is maybe , and might and possibly. I for one feel that there should be a means of limiting criminals, and mentally ill and those that hav been kicked out of our military from having guns. All I have heard on here is that the second amendment is a right but the concepts of repsonsibily seems to have been forgotten. I also feel that if the president puts fire arms restictions out there he will lose his race for the presidency, especially if the gun owners and the NRA push the point. I feel that the so called conservatives can come up with a negative complaint about anything - health care is too exspenve but we dont want reform - we want our gun rights but we dont want to be held repsonsible for the actions of those that have guns. We want to speed but we dont think anyone should break the law unless it is for one of our own justifiable reasons. In short you want the cake and the ice cream and dont want to pay for it.
sometimes I feel that trying to have a conversation on this board is like talking to a group of fanactics

James Ruby

No..we don't want to be responsible for the actions of THOSE that have guns.. As conservatives..we believe in Individual responsibility where each person is responsible for their own decisions and actions..a concept you libs just don't grasp.. As a responsible gun owner..and hard core supporter of our Constitution..and Second Amendment in particular..no one is more offended or apalled by the criminal misuse of a firearm than I am.. However..unlike those on your side of the issue..I say hold those individuals responsible..and hand down swift..non-negotiable..severe penalties for those actions..

As for the "flames"..you yourself claim..by your own post..to be a Liberal.. I can't flame you any worse than that..

Trismn - I will respond - I am a liberal based on previous blogs. Exactly what is the president going to do. I for one feel that there should be a means of eliminating criminals, and mentally ill criminals. All I have heard on here is that the second amendment is a right but the concepts of responsibility seems to have been forgotten by the libs/media. I also feel that if the president puts fire arms restictions out there he will lose his race for the presidency, especially if the citizens push the point. I feel that all the so called liberals/progressives can come up with is a negative complaint about anything. We want to speed but we dont think we should be held accountable . In short we want the cake and the ice cream and dont want to pay for it.
James Ruby

Fixed

James Ruby

James,

I'm not sure where you are getting these ideas about conservatives. I have yet to meet a true conservative that does not believe in personal responsibility, and the "negative complaints about anything" usually has to do with the lack of personal responsibilities being shoved down our collective throats and the loss of freedoms.

This is especially true about gun rights. There are plenty of gun related laws on the books, enough to get the job done, whatever that is. The same is true with just about any topic, like immigration for example. I don't think anyone here wants to make it easier for criminals to get guns.

The whole "it takes a village" mentality is not going to make anyone safer. I guess we just have to wait and see what this administration is going to propose as "common sense" guns laws, but if history teaches us anything, the proposal is not going to be good for law abiding gun owners.

Conservatism is not extreme, but that is a very popular notion these days. I may be a fanatic in your eyes. It's true, I am fanatic about this great country and I'm not going to be quite about what I perceive as its total destruction from the inside.

See, no asbestos flame suit required. ;)

Last Edited:
About all I can find in both linked articles is:

'Obama called for "sound and effective" steps to prevent lawbreakers from obtaining guns. A system of criminal background checks must be better implemented and made more efficient, he said.
"We should provide an instant, accurate, comprehensive and consistent system for background checks to (gun) sellers who want to do the right thing, and make sure that criminals can't escape it," he wrote.'

I'm okay with this and still feel my guns are safe, as is my ability to purchase guns in the future. Based on the linked articles.

I am a very strong supporter of the death penalty - I will even donate bullets but that only works after the crime has been committed. Instead we choose based on the 2nd amendment that everyone should have a gun - those that have been convicted criminals, those that have committed previous felonies and those that donot even have the mental capacity to tie thier own shoes have the right to own guns. I want something done before a mental midget goes out and wipes out another 13 people. Yes - on this board I am liberal - in real life many friends and aquaintaces have a hard time beleiving that. With as far right as many on this board are I feel pretty good about my view points. By the way I have been here to long to be trolling so Redcap I think you are pretty stupid yourself.

James Ruby

My response is that the net effect of these measures take guns and accessories out of my my hands; my hands being responsible and qualifying hands. Why must I be deprived of a 32 round magazine? what did I do wrong? Why must I be deprived of an "assault weapon"? what did I do wrong? I've lived my life as a responsible adult yet I (and you) are lumped in with degenerates, the mentally ill and felons, why? what did we do wrong?

I'm just me, I'm not part of a group collective. I never asked to be, nor do I wish to be responsible for the actions of others. I wish to be judged on my own merits, not the merits of the lowest common denominator.

Instead we choose based on the 2nd amendment that everyone should have a gun - those that have been convicted criminals, those that have committed previous felonies and those that donot even have the mental capacity to tie thier own shoes have the right to own guns. I want something done before a mental midget goes out and wipes out another 13 people.

James Ruby

Who's WE Kimo Sabe? I haven't heard anyone on this board advocate that the mentally ill should be able to own firearms, or that convicted felons should own firearms (unless their right has been restored by the courts). There ARE people on this board that are appalled that service men and women that come back from foreign theaters of war with PTSD get their second amendment rights stripped with almost no chance of getting them back even after completing successful therapy.

The problem with Liberals is they they will advocate the passage of laws that will do nothing to reduce gun crime or violence and only place additional burdens on law abiding citizens because it makes them feel like they are doing something about the problem. That way they can ignore the real tough issues like poverty, the breakdown of the family structure in inner city environments, and a culture too eager to replace faith in God and Family with faith in Govt. Entitlements and Gangs.

James Ruby

You should read up on the gun laws. Those things you mentioned are already illegal (federal crimes, even). What do you propose we do? Make it double-dog illegal?

Why should the law abiding gun owners be held responsible (or even punished) for the actions of criminals that have guns? Do you have a driver's license? Know how many folks drove drunk last night? I bet people were even killed because of it. Think you should be punished for their actions? Maybe force you install an ignition interlock device on your car even though you've never driven intoxicated? Same rationale.

I also do not want to be infringed on - I have had guns all my life that I can remember - I have never been in trouble with the law. I have some hi cap magazines and no I dont want to pay 100$ for a box of primers or a magazine. All I really want to do is to be left alone and grow old, shoot fish and hunt, but I know that there may come a time that I may need to put my neck out to protect those that I care about or a right that I feel is more important.

I do not wish to be judged by others and I do take responsibility for my own actions. I certainly feel that we have enough laws - I am certain that I miss one once in a while. I will do what I need to protect my own. I am ready to defend what I think is right.

I also know that I would like to reduce the likely hood of ever having to defend my self by removing the problem before it is created or allowed to take form. I feel for this reason that thier must be a method to prevent or limit the capability for the bad guys to do harm - the question I have been trying to figue out is how is this accomlished - the answer is the mythical holy grail.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads