JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All you have to do is provide a real republican candidate that the majority of the populace supports more than Obama - if Obama is as bad as everyone thinks that should be a cake walk - what are you worried about? Maybe even Sarah Palin might be the next president based on this logic.

James Ruby

I was thinking the Republicans should nominate Obama for the Republican ticket. :s0131:

Ok let me clarify - if you are discharged as any thing other than a honorable discharge you should not have the right to own a weapon - you have not completed your agreement with this country of ours. I do not care for what ever reason it is. I have spent 13+ years of my life in the navy riding submarines. I apologize for not being more accurate.

James Ruby

Ok let me clarify - if you are discharged as any thing other than a honorable discharge you should not have the right to own a weapon - you have not completed your agreement with this country of ours. I do not care for what ever reason it is. I have spent 13+ years of my life in the navy riding submarines. I apologize for not being more accurate.

James Ruby

Just going to throw this out there:

My first wife and the mother of my sons was in the Air Force (before I met her). She was Dishonorably discharged after being caught smoking Marijuana, she was young and dumb as most kids in their early 20's are. You mean to tell me she should permanently lose her 2nd amendment rights for a stupid indiscretion?

Sorry Trismn - she broke the law - the fact that she is a relative has nothing to do with the fact that it was and is against the law to smoke mary jane in the service. When you sign that oath to protect and serve you are playing thier game, she swore to defend this country and its rules. I beleive on the form that you sign to buy a gun it asks the question of wether you have ever been dishonrably discharged from the service, or am I wrong? I did a great deal of alcohol in the service and though I never did other drugs there were many times I was happy to get back to my barracks room and get half my body in that door, none the less the bunk. I do not feel that marijuana is bad other than it is currently against the law for casual use. I once had a friend that got kicked out of the Navy on a trumped up cocaine charge and had to go before the captain - a good sailor other than this one event but he should have known better - looking back he got what he deserved - I had no part in making that decison. The choices that one makes in life often has a life long effect.

James Ruby

James Ruby

So being spit out by the military with a medical be it a physical and not mental constitutes a good reason to lose a constitutional right permanently? I do believe you spent too many years couped up in a tube full of sea men.

James Ruby

Complete and utter bullbubblegum.

If I may. I would like to clear some misunderstanding and ignorance from this and a few other statements

"Instead we choose based on the 2nd amendment that everyone should have a gun - those that have been convicted criminals, those that have committed previous felonies Under current law if you commit felonies you lose your gun rights. It is a difficult process to recover them, Even after you meet the required conditions.
i will grant you that career criminals should lose their 2A rights.

and those that don't even have the mental capacity to tie thier own shoes have the right to own guns." There are rules in place that would prevent this. but liberals have caused the cost of doing so to be so extra-ordinarily high that most places are unable to find judges to sign orders to strip the extermly mental unstable of any rights.

Regarding the discharging of service members
"if you are discharged as any thing other than a honorable discharge you should not have the right to own a weapon - you have not completed your agreement with this country of ours. "

I agree that people who are discharged prior to EAOS, except for medical reasons, have not completed their obligations. but to say that only those honorablely discharged are entitled to 2A right is beyond ignorant. It is stupid.

Since you are a buublehead lets make it a look-up on this subject. See what you learn.

medical discharges - These can be either a general or honorable condition. I will grant there are rare cases where a person should not have gun rights in these example

General discharges - A myriad of reasons fall under this condition. Including one example from your own community. My previous neighbor was aboard an Ohio class boat. He decides to inform the inform the command he can not support a nuclear capable warship (submarine) and he wants off the boat. He gets out of the SS and the Navy discharges him.
Should he lose his 2A rights (Actually knowing that loon I would be in favor of it)

General for Convenience of the Government - little johnny just can't hang with the squids. Good guy, but just lacks the personal strenght to be a service member. Goes on to be successful in his life, should he be stripped of his 2A rights.

Dishonorable Discharge - Lets use Trism's ex wife as an example. Smoking pot a violation of the UCMJ. YES.. dishonorable according to military law at the time, Yes.
Now show me where in federal law, using either the statues in place at the time or current statues require or suggest she lose her 2A rights.
50 bucks says you can not do it.

I commend you on your service and spending so much time riding boats, but your lack of knowledge and understanding were I in your chain of command would result in mandatory training in the UCMJ and federal code to help you overcome your ignorance.

I will refrain from my customary bubblehead banter as you have dishonored the Navy enough with your comments.

I'm curious Granted it asks the question on the form about dishonorable dischange but will that in fact disqualify you from purchasing a firearm? Or will it just bring up another level of background check in a different data base?

I ask because if they are running a background check why do they have to ask you? Wouldn't that be in your "file" if it was a killjoy?

And it does ask about DISHONORABLE not General or Admin or any other type. So those would appear to be fine. I knew a couple guys who got Admin/General discharges when they were unable to complete basic training. I also knew guys who had been through drug rehab programs that included 2-3 months of group theropy and left the service with an Honorable/medical.

James Ruby

In other words the goal is to remove people's 2nd Amendment rights, so in your mind it is by any and all means? (sort of a Bobby Seals quote) There is a term that I like to think represents one of our (USA) ideals, it is call Justice. The punishment must fit the crime. Excessive punishment does not fit the crime, other words it is unjust. Maybe next time you do 56 in a 55, we fine you and strip you of your 2nd Amendment rights. Obviously you would yell, that is excessive, but a lot of people have the hurray for me, screw you attitude. Which is neither just or representative of the ideals of this nation.

I believe Reagan is responsible at least partially for the 1986 nfa stuff. and the reason a mac 10 that could hardly have been given away in 1980 now sells for 3500 bucks.
Anyone that believes this need to read the NRA's take on the Firearms Owners Protection Act.
The NRA had worked on it for years, and it was only through Mr Hughes, a New Jersey democrat and Mr Rangel's illegal pronouncement of a "successful" voice vote that the Hughes Amendment was included.

The NRA asked President Reagan to sign the bill into law, as they felt it was worth it to prevent ANY FORM of federal government gun/owner registration.
It also protects your rights to buy or sell a gun between private parties, without risk of forfeiture if there's a problem.
It enables private sales at gun shows.
It also requires the ATF/DOJ to pay your court costs and attorney fees if you are acquitted because they screwed up.
Read more here:
<broken link removed>
FOPA dramatically changed the rules.

Seizure would in most cases require proof of a willful violation. Intent to use must be proven by clear and convincing evidence. The firearms to be seized must be “individually identified” as intended for misuse, and legal proceedings must commence within 120 days of seizure.

Finally, if the collector or dealer won the case, the government would have to pay the owner’s attorneys’ fees. (The bill’s opponents protested, correctly, that gun owners would have protections that no one else had in forfeiture proceedings!) • Confiscations and license revocations despite acquittal. Without FOPA, prosecuting agencies had forfeited collections and revoked licenses despite the gun owner being found not guilty in criminal proceedings. FOPA provided that seized guns must be returned upon their owner’s winning acquittal or dismissal of charges, and that license revocations could not be based on such charges, either.

• “Prohibited possessor” reforms.

Under the Gun Control Act, conviction for a felon in possession of a firearm could be obtained even if the possessor had received a pardon, had the conviction set aside or had his civil rights restored. Under FOPA, winning any of these remedies would restore gun rights, unless the order expressly provided to the contrary.

• Dealer records. The Gun Control Act allowed unlimited repetitive search of dealers’ records and inventory, which had been used as a tool for harassment.

FOPA allowed one annual inspection, plus inquiries to trace a specific gun or to carry out a criminal investigation of someone other than the dealer. If records are taken, the dealer must be given a copy so he can continue his business.

• Gun shows. The Gun Control Act only allowed licensees to transfer guns at their licensed premises. FOPA allowed dealers to conduct business at events sponsored by groups “devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms”—making possible gun shows as we know them today.

• Transportation of firearms. Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach.

These were just the major changes.

James Ruby
So the medical examiner misses something on your entrance physical that shows up after enlistment.
You get a medical discharge because you have a chronically bad knee or ankle for instance,...

Sorry, but you just lost your gun rights.

Man, some people can't even BUY a clue.

James Ruby

That's almost like saying if you ever get fired or layed off from a job you should lose your 2A rights because you didn't fulfill your employment obligation. I think the only reason for a 2A restriction would be a dishonerable discharge where you actually had to serve time in the stockade or brig before discharge. And even then, there might be a few caveats; like refusing an order that would get you and most of your team killed for no good reason.

elsie

OOHhh... whhhhaaaaaa... "I'm just going to sit back and watch this thread"... "there will be to much name calling and won't have any meaningful discussion".... ooohhhh whhhhaaaaaa...

Flippin' wussified HYPOCRITES!!! You'd be all over this if it was George W., Sara Palin, Joe Arpaio or some other "conservative". Don't EVEN refer to yourselves as men, and don't even remotely think you are as "good as me". Contemptable silence is all you have.

Can you tell I'm "in a mood"?! :s0112:

Last edited by a moderator:
liberals-9.jpg

OOHhh... whhhhaaaaaa... "I'm just going to sit back and watch this thread"... "there will be to much name calling and won't have any meaningful discussion".... ooohhhh whhhhaaaaaa...

Flippin' wussified HYPOCRITES!!! You'd be all over this if it was George W., Sara Palin, Joe Arpaio or some other "conservative". Don't EVEN refer to yourselves as men, and don't even remotely think you are as "good as me". Contemptable silence is all you have.

Can you tell I'm "in a mood"?! :s0112:

Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews