JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, better have your "recall" recalled.
Your recall is faulty, as it was misinformed, and you never fixed it.

The Romney Record, Mitt Romney's Record as Governor of MA

Let me help remove the veil from your eyes, Jamie.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Executive Department
State House Boston, MA 02133
(617) 725-4000

Mitt Romney, Governor
Kerry Healey, Lieutenant Governor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, July 1, 2004

ROMNEY SIGNS OFF ON PERMANENT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

In a move that will help keep the streets and neighborhoods of Massachusetts safe, Governor Mitt Romney today signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that forever makes it harder for criminals to get their hands on these dangerous guns.

“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts,” Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony with legislators, sportsmen’s groups and gun safety advocates. “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people

Like the federal assault weapons ban, the state ban, put in place in 1998, was scheduled to expire in September. The new law ensures these deadly weapons, including AK-47s, UZIs and Mac-10 rifles, are permanently prohibited in Massachusetts no matter what happens on the federal level."

How is Harry Reid, the darling of the NRA and the recipient of the membership dues treating gun owners today?

Fact is... the Republicans put up a crappy candidate with a known anti 2A stance, and there was Barry. Both the (R) and the (D) candidate sucked, and I'm pretty sure Mitt would be signing an AWB right now in exchange for Democratic support on averting the fiscal cliff. I voted Libertarian.

Now... we both agree that a weapons ban will accomplish nothing to protect anyone, and we agree that gun free zones equal killing fields, and I'm pretty sure all this bickering and finger pointing isn't accomplishing anything to preserve our freedoms.

I suggest we propose a ban on AK-15 and AR-47 weapons(written just as I wrote them), Semi-auto crossbows, teflon bullets, exploding bullets, ray guns, belt-fed shotguns, heat seeking high powered rifle ammo, ray guns and light sabers.

The anti-gunners will be ecstatic that they got legislation passed and kept these evil weapons off the street.

Well, considering those three weapons are fully automatic and NFA weapons, he really didn't do much. He played politics, he told the Antis he was banning dangerous guns and wrote the legislation to ban things that the vast majority of the gun owners in Massachusetts didn't care about.

Well, considering those three weapons are fully automatic and NFA weapons, he really didn't do much. He played politics, he told the Antis he was banning dangerous guns and wrote the legislation to ban things that the vast majority of the gun owners in Massachusetts didn't care about.

That's a nice thought, Norm, but not the facts. The AWB he endorsed and signed was almost identical to the Clinton AWB, and probably similar to what we are facing now. So...you can't blame gun folks for voting for Barry when the Republican party nominated and endorsed an Antigunner. Here are the details of the ban, for the curious.

Massachusetts law considers "assault weapons" to be part of a larger class of guns known as "large capacity weapons". There are restrictions on possession, purchase and transportation of these guns and the penalties for using them in a crime are generally more severe. There is also a ban on "large capacity magazines" made after September 13, 1994.

The definition of "assault weapon" is the same as the federal law that went into effect on September 13, 1994. Specific guns are banned by name, and guns with certain combinations of features are banned:

a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'"

A "large capacity feeding device" is defined the same as in federal law, or:
"a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; ... The term "large capacity feeding device" shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition."

It really doesn't matter to me what Romney would be or wouldn't be doing right now. I can see with my own eyes what Barry is doing right now.

See the difference ? What MIGHT Romney be doing right now versus what Barry IS doing right now.

Stop trying to change the subject.

It really doesn't matter to me what Romney would be or wouldn't be doing right now. I can see with my own eyes what Barry is doing right now.

See the difference ? What MIGHT Romney be doing right now versus what Barry IS doing right now.

Stop trying to change the subject.

Let me fix that for ya.

"What Romney DID, and what the current government MIGHT do."

One is proven fact and history, the other is still to be determined.

How is this relevant? Read the title of this thread. This IS the subject.

Kalama, if you think there is any politician who truly and deeply cares about your right to keep and bear arms, you are being delusional. Ok, let's just say any politician in this day and age, who really stands a chance to hold office. In fact, I don't think Romney would have caved into the pressure, but I could be wrong. For one, Romney would want a 2nd term. Being a 1st term president, he would have to play nice and the pro-gun supporters are so numerous it could easily break him in a re-election. Politicians don't go by morality, those ones never see the light of day anymore. They go by populace and Romney was championing the pro-gun/2A cause. He was being endorsed by the NRA and aligned himself with gun owners. In a way, I forgive him for his past and I am not naive or stupid to think that he has some deep love and appreciation for our gun freedoms. For example, I don't view African, Eastern European or Middle Eastern politicians to be any more immoral than American ones, it is just that they have more power, corruption and means of leverage and manipulation. You give any man too much power, he will die before he loses it. Our politicians are only limited by the very checks and balances they seek to overturn, manipulate or evade.

NOW.. Romney isn't in power. And, I have yet to hear the Republicans as a collective whole preach the anti-gun gospel. However, I am seeing Mr. Barack Hussein and his henchmen: Joe Biden, Eric Holder and Diane Feinstein putting together a very effective and comprehensive anti-gun bill that will strip us of our rights to own most semi-automatic firearms and magazines. Even most of the "pro-gun democrats" are also demanding a ban on all semi-automatic weapons and magazines. These people are using nazi-like scare tactics to brainwash the minds of ignorant American sheeple to obey to strip the rights of law-abiding citizens. The fact is, ever since the last AWB has ended, gun crime has went down significantly. But thanks to the nazi-like media who is in bed with the liberal government, now there are many people championing their cause. And, now, there will be plaques hung on the wall of the NRA and all people who oppose the gun ban as "Child Murderers." Back in the days of Nazi-germany, anyone who would help hide a Jewish family was considered a "child murderer" and aiding and helping the enemy. These people were either executed on the spot or put into the Concentration Camps along with the people they were helping. A powerful media help build the Nazi empire!

Let's face the problem at hand. Let's stop talking about how unethical Romney, Bush, Clinton, Obama were etc etc .. These people represent their own self-image in power , not justice, righteousness and integrity. However, Obama Hussein has always had deep resentment to gun owners, our freedoms and (sorry to say this) Caucasian community in general. Many forget where this guy was raised and the organizations and religious institutions he attended. Leaving all that aside, he is one of the greatest proponents and architects of this legislation. He is wasting no time!! He is DEMANDING IMMEDIATE ACTION!! This is probably the highlight of his entire presidency. To exert power and dominance and strip Americans of their rights.. Especially, those "RICH, WHITE PEOPLE." These are the words of his own pastor, Jeremiah Wright, who baptized his children and married him to his wife. The man he called "uncle".

And, you just cannot get anymore anti-gun than this statement, from Barack Hussein, himself:
Barack Hussein said:
" let's take a close look at a culture that, all too often, glorifies guns and violence."

So... I take it you don't like the guy.

Here's why:

Barack Hussein said:
"There is a big chunk of space between what the Second Amendment means and having no rules at all, and that space is what Joe's going to be working on to try to identify where we'll find some common ground,"

Washington Post said:
White House officials say the package of proposals is almost certain to include new restrictions on guns, particularly assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. But aides said it will also probably include mental-health initiatives and, as Obama noted Wednesday, a close look "at a culture that, all too often, glorifies guns and violence."

Look at what is written in bold.. Even though I definitely don't want guns to fall into the hands of the mentally-ill, I have more fear of this government than the mentally ill. Sorry to say! Who knows what type of INITIATIVES they may propose. My fear is that these very initiatives may make it very hard for anyone to purchase a gun. Maybe, it's time we get over our phobia of mentally-ill people and have more of a fear of mentally-ill governments!

"Guns for everybody... Including crazy people!!! If they act up, we'll shoot them first with our own guns!!"

If ya step back, this is what this sounds like, which is a pretty hard to sell to the average voting housewife after a school massacre.

It will be interesting to see what ol Joe comes up with.

Now would be a good time to be finding the email and snail mail address and phone # of your congressman and senator, and star getting vocal where it matters.

"Guns for everybody... Including crazy people!!! If they act up, we'll shoot them first with our own guns!!"

Saying that is about as extreme as "Let's round up all the guns from everyone so our children can be safe from gun-toting maniacs!" Yet, I bet the media and all the liberals would be much more open and receptive to such a statement than "guns for everybody." Obviously, saying one extreme statement or the other will result in chaos on either side.

Personally, rather than saying "let's ban assault weapons (aka semi auto rifles) and hi cap magazines (aka any mag over 5 or 10rds)" he could have said "we need trained security personnel to protect the children at our schools." This would have probably been an even more rational, sensible and easier to sell to grieving and terrified housewives then let's make an assault weapon ban. Many of these naive people don't even know what really is an assault weapon ban. However, advocating armed guards would not empower the government, it would empower the people. What benefit does that have to an autocratic government like that of Barack Hussein? An assault weapon ban is much more palatable, as this will empower the government and weaken his greatest enemies and defenders of the Constitution, law-abiding gun owners.

Agreed about contacting state congressman and senators.

And here we all sit and B-itch while at a key board, the real question is what will you do when, yes when, not if they come for your weapons? We can all sit and finger point and say he voted for or she did, but will you or wont you roll over and play dead? Not me. From my cold dead hands. Thanks Chuck.

You're a really tough guy behind a keyboard. My prediction? Like all the other keyboard commandos you'll fold like a cheap suit when push comes to shove.

The more bravado, the less actual courage. It's pretty much a truism.

If you're not ALREADY taking pot-shots at cops for violations of basic rights, I have a VERY hard time believing you'll be willing to die (and you will) when a SWAT team comes to your front door.

This kind of crap serves us no good whatever in the broader fight for gun rights. Everyone here knows you're a blowhard idiot. But have no fear, the FBI and the Brady bunch will use your stupid-assed quote to paint us all as right-wing zealots and thereby justify all kinds of new restrictions. -Thanks a lot...idiot.

You have no idea WTF you re talking about. I LIVED in Mass in this time. You wouldn't belive the nonsense his ew legislation required. -starting with a 300% increase in fees for a "license" to own ANY gun.

Are you saying our culture doesn't glorify guns?

If you think one madman who was willing to kill 20 kindergartner-third graders was in any way influenced by a "glorification of guns." I challenge you Right here, tight the F now, to produce peer-revirewed evience (including all the people who called BS on the claim) to support your claim, HERE AND NOW.

There is not a SHRED of evidence to show that mass shootings have any relation whatever to our gun culture. There is a rather large body of evidence to support the claim that we have really crappy mental health-care treatment.

Occam's Razor makes me think this is about almost ANYTHING but a "gun culture."

If you think one madman who was willing to kill 20 kindergartner-third graders was in any way influenced by a "glorification of guns." I challenge you Right here, tight the F now, to produce peer-revirewed evience (including all the people who called BS on the claim) to support your claim, HERE AND NOW.

There is not a SHRED of evidence to show that mass shootings have any relation whatever to our gun culture. There is a rather large body of evidence to support the claim that we have really crappy mental health-care treatment.

Occam's Razor makes me think this is about almost ANYTHING but a "gun culture."

I don't think that. I don't think gun culture has anything to do with it. I meant "our" as in the US as a whole, Not our as in the gun culture that you and i are currently trying to defend. Since he was quoting obama, and I don't think he is part of our (gun) culture.

I guess what i meant is the glorification of gun related violent in the US.

There is a rather large body of evidence to support the claim that we have really crappy mental health-care treatment.

I agree wholeheartedly. Now, that, coupled with the constant celebritization (is that a word?) of past murderers in media, is an issue.

I don't think that. I don't think gun culture has anything to do with it.
that's exactly what you said.

90% percent of murders ae one scumbag killing or attempting to kill another scumbag. It's actually the rare exception that real innocents are killed. It certainly works that way in MY county.

These are sociopaths which for the most part, the existing, woefully, disgracefully uderfunded, couldn't begin to fix.

First i would like to make a point concerning popular opinion as it relates to constitutional rights. We were founded as a republic instead of a majority rules democracy for a reason. Even if the majority of the population doesn't like a right, it is still a right. We need to keep that in mind as things progress.

Second, I have read, and heard many people discuss where their "line in the sand"is. The tipping point where this person will take up arms in protection of their rights. Generally this point is after their guns would be confiscated. People must have watched Rambo one too many times. Militias were formed for a reason. You are not going to just stand up one day and over throw a corrupt government single handedly.
This is a huge place that conservatives fail politically. Notice that everything the liberals do is a organized effort. Community organization defined. Conservatives on the other hand sit back and wait until its almost certainly too late, then launch a solo effort to try to fix the problem. That is why liberals are winning. We have to organize in order to make any meaningful statement. We need to work on public opinion as the liberals do. We need to put extraordinary pressure on our representatives. Study what liberals have done to be effective.

In order for conservatives to survive politically, we don't have to change our belief system. We just have to change the way we do things. God forbid it ever comes down to people in this country fighting against a foreign or domestic threat, we better be organized and not just putting forth a individual effort, or we will fail.

that's exactly what you said.

Well, I didn't SAY anything. I did however ASK something in my OP. I worded it poorly. I believe "gun culture" and "the glorification of gun related violent in the US as per the media" are not the same thing. That is what i clarified in my response.

Did you not read my response? I AGREE.

90% percent of murders ae one scumbag killing or attempting to kill another scumbag. It's actually the rare exception that real innocents are killed. It certainly works that way in MY county.

YEP.

These are sociopaths which for the most part, the existing, woefully, disgracefully uderfunded, couldn't begin to fix.

YEP.

Are you saying our culture doesn't glorify guns?

That is not the point, as MisterBill pointed out. The point is that there is nothing wrong with glorifying guns.. Obama was condemning the fact that our culture glorifies guns, as if glorifying and respecting the beauty, the art, the sport and the protection that guns give us is bad. I was quoting Obama's statement to prove to the naive people here who think Obama is pro gun or supports our rights to own guns. He showed his true colors in this statement and contradicted himself grossly. First, he claims to SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment, then he condemns people who "Glorify Guns". What he meant by the word "Glorify" could be up to debate, but for anyone who's head is outside of their rectal cavity, I think its rather blatantly obvious that he thinks a society that respects and admires gun ownership is bad.. And then, notice how combines the words GLORIFY GUNS AND VIOLENCE .. He basically equates guns with violences and that people who love guns, also love violence as well.

He is a double-speaking, two-faced politician. He isn't even that great of a liar or a politician.. It's not like I couldn't see through him like glass. However, he has a very powerful and far-reaching propaganda machine and a plethora of advisers and helpers who are aiding him work his way through to promote his tyrannical agenda. In a lot of ways he is just a welfare check, free school, free food, free citizenship, gay marriage and liberty for all to a good chunk of the voting bloc who cared nothing about his substance, but rather about all the broken promises and personal benefits they would receive from voting for him. Many just voted for him, because that is what the media, or all the "politically-correct" people said to do.

My point is, Obama is degrading you and I as gun owners and absolutely, positively has no greater desire than to strip us of our freedoms. Obama cares nothing of violence or dead children.. I guarantee he'd be more than happy to see another dead 30, 60, 100 if it meant an increase in his own power.

Misterbill, Finger pointing and name calling is how it starts, Say what you want Bill, I'm a keyboard commando you bet ya buddy. Me not knowing you personally, and you not knowing me, we can only assume each others mind set. The reality is that if we knew each other better you would know you've spoke out of line on this one . False bravado? I'm no firefighter, not a peace officer or doctor Bill, but there are a few things that you may want to know about a person before you call someone out for being a fake Bill. Actions are far more important than words old man. Bill, Please feel free to PM me, I would be willing to share a few things with you in private that may just change your opinion. This is not a challenge nor threat Bill, just an opportunity for you to find out the facts about a person that you would call a blow hard idiot Bill, what do you say?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top