JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Did everyone catch the latest pics or video of Obama deep bowing to Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko today? I think this was actually a deeper bow than was given to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia back in april. Am I wrong, or didnt we win WWII? I must go and check my 13yr olds liberally revised history book on this one.

Did everyone catch the latest pics or video of Obama deep bowing to Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko today? I think this was actually a deeper bow than was given to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia back in april. Am I wrong, or didnt we win WWII? I must go and check my 13yr olds liberally revised history book on this one.

Don't look too hard you may get ticked off at what is actually in it.

You got that right. Being a parent these days can be very challenging. The feedback I get from the classrooms is sometimes disturbing too say the least.

Don't worry. They still say that we threw the japanese in internment camps to "Protect" them.

I'll have to look at the video, but it's probably just a sign of respect.

I very highly doubt that we need to cower from the Japanese. At least until they awaken Godzilla or build Gundams.

Someone really needs to school that twit on proper greetings.
A slight bow is what is given.
A deep bow that shows the back of your head is what peasants to do to the Emperor.

I thought this thread was CLOSED?

ps, not complaining!

Why would you want this closed? Are you for real? Do you and 56kninja realize the significance of a deep bow. A standing President should NEVER give more than a slight nod to any Japanese or German leader! We lost too many good Americans in WWII defeating the enemy to come to that. I may only be 44yrs old, but work around alot of WWII veterans that cannot believe what our society and its leaders have come too.

Why would you want this closed? Are you for real? Do you and 56kninja realize the significance of a deep bow. A standing President should NEVER give more than a slight nod to any Japanese or German leader! We lost too many good Americans in WWII defeating the enemy to come to that. I may only be 44yrs old, but work around alot of WWII veterans that cannot believe what our society and its leaders have come too.

:s0155::s0155::s0155:

What's wrong with bowing deeply as a sign of respect to our allies?

Or would you prefer we firebomb their civilians again?

The emperor of Japan is a symbolic head much like the Queen of England. Obama is not Japanese and a deep bow is inappropriate.

Unless Obama really believes that the emperor is really descended from the gods.

What do they teach in those Ivy league schools?:huh:

Actually it's not considered inappropriate within Japan. The depth of bow is a measure of respect, which as a visitor I witnessed and partook of when I spent time over there - you get much further adhering to the culture you're visiting and my being respectful to our hosts we accomplished far more, business-wise and personally, than we would have had we opted not to show a measure of respect.

Two other factors not being openly considered are 1) Obama's first real engagement with Japan as HoS and 2) bowing to someone 5'5" when you're 6'2" (or whatever) is awkward already at best.

At my last company we spent a fair bit of time discussing dealing with eastern cultures in terms of "how to get what we want." Emphasis on bowing and paying compliments to business cards, never discussing business at evening drinks, and never discussing evening drinks during business always stood out.

And at the end of the day bowing to a Japanese HoS seems far less offensive than some of the other politicians that the U.S. is forced to deal with on a daily basis as allies or strategic partners. If we knew what goes on behind closed doors in the other nations, I'm thinking that the majority of folks would be horrified if they knew just how borderline evil some HoS's can be or are.

A deep bow in Japan is a sign of apology. From Wiki:
Generally, the longer and deeper the bow, the stronger the emotion or the greater the difference in social standing.

I understand respect. As an American I will never understand a fawning apology to the Japanese gov't.

Now if he were to do it to an American of Japanese descent that was interned in one of our "camps" during WWII I might understand that.

The notion that American's need to apologize for our world standing is ludicrous. We started ONE war on foreign soil, and whether that was necessary may be debated, but not by the Kurds or other oppressed Iraqis.
We did however finish a few wars, putting power mad dictators (or emperors) in their place. No apology necessary.
The country apparently elected an apologist, not a leader prepared for the world stage.

I can see the bow thing, it's like us shaking hands, what gets to me is when our Presidents walk around holding hands and saying "I love you" with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, YUK

What exactly is our world standing again?

And as much good as Wiki has done, it is, unfortunately, a work in progress and not always complete. Do business in Japan and spend some time there (or any other culture that's not North American) and you'll find some very interesting things about those cultures, as well as the perception of our world standing.

Most Japanese really, really like us. They don't hold WWII as some sort of honor grudge and have long since released any held beliefs about the Emperor being a deity. The ones that object - that feel a deep seated hatred or wanting that apology and hate our culture - are no worse or different than our own racists here.

There are two things wrong with the (DEEP) bow. 1. The Leader of the Free World should not bow to anyone, but still show adequate respect. 2. The Japanese were thoroughly defeated after THEY fire bombed us first. Therefore the bow was given by the wrong leader.

As to the Japanese being one of our Allies, what a joke. They have been trying to defeat us a second time, economically ever since we rebuilt them after WWII. They only have a very limited military because (WE) have made sure that they can never rebuild and become a threat to us or anyone else. This also goes for Germany.

I believe that we should all learn a little more about history to understand what the present means, and what the future may bring. Unfortunately our history books are being rapidly changed into a more politically correct view of the past to fit a growing number of warped liberal ideals. If you have a child in public schools right now, you know what Im talking about.

I do understand that different cultures should be respected by all people and leaders. We should also learn to forgive, which I believe we have done very well with Japan and Germany, but not for a second should we forget what they did to us and the world. Too many brave Americans lost their lives securing our freedom and liberating many other countries to be bowing down to the King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia and Japanese Emperor Akihito.

Wait, what? State your source where Japanese troops firebombed U.S. civilian population, let alone any. I believe you're confusing Japan with Germany, and the U.S. with Great Britian. I'm talking links to historical sources. You're making a pretty serious assertion that I've never seen validated by history at all.

If you're referencing Pearl? Pearl was a strategic military target, emphasis on military. What did the Japanese do? They attacked a strategic target which it has been debated heavily that our politicians knew was coming - at let it occur as to give us the excuse to get involved in the war. Was Pearl a horrific loss of life? Absolutely, as were the invasions at Wake, the great naval battles of the south pacific, as were the invasions of the Phillipines, Okinawa, and Guadacanal.

You're welcome to your opinion about the Japanese, but it saddens me that it takes such a paranoid and narrow view. A good portion of the rest of the world does not share your view. But here's a final bone for your craw. The name Yamamoto should ring a bell, since he orchestrated the Pearl Harbor attack and the Japanese efforts in the Pacific against the U.S. The man most responsible for loss of U.S. life in the conflict.

His grandson graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and did exceptionally well. He's a damn fine U.S. officer and funny SOB. How do I know this? He was a classmate of my wife in the same company @ Navy and I met him three weeks ago at their 15 year reunion in Annapolis.

Wait, what? State your source where Japanese troops firebombed U.S. civilian population, let alone any. I believe you're confusing Japan with Germany, and the U.S. with Great Britian. I'm talking links to historical sources. You're making a pretty serious assertion that I've never seen validated by history at all.

If you're referencing Pearl? Pearl was a strategic military target, emphasis on military. What did the Japanese do? They attacked a strategic target which it has been debated heavily that our politicians knew was coming - at let it occur as to give us the excuse to get involved in the war. Was Pearl a horrific loss of life? Absolutely, as were the invasions at Wake, the great naval battles of the south pacific, as were the invasions of the Phillipines, Okinawa, and Guadacanal.

You're welcome to your opinion about the Japanese, but it saddens me that it takes such a paranoid and narrow view. A good portion of the rest of the world does not share your view. But here's a final bone for your craw. The name Yamamoto should ring a bell, since he orchestrated the Pearl Harbor attack and the Japanese efforts in the Pacific against the U.S. The man most responsible for loss of U.S. life in the conflict.

His grandson graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and did exceptionally well. He's a damn fine U.S. officer and funny SOB. How do I know this? He was a classmate of my wife in the same company @ Navy and I met him three weeks ago at their 15 year reunion in Annapolis.

Theres not much more than that to be said... There are so many more intelligent people than I in here, so I shall let this lie. Im just going to tell my grandfather to forget his time in WWII and not to pay attention to the disgrace that this President is bringing upon our highest office. You really might want to check out the majority of foreign press as to how the rest of the world views Obama and the US.

The customary bow in Japan is deeper than in Saudi apparently. World War 2 has little to do with everyday diplomatic level courtesy. It's just how it's done. It doesn't have anything to do with supplicating to a foreign power, and besides, we are no longer in MacArthur's postwar governance period or anything. Everyone knows who won that war and why. Japan has 2 cities that are much newer than the rest as reminders.

I thought this thread was CLOSED?

ps, not complaining!

You're living in the last century my friend. Wars are fought, won, lost, and never forgotten but if we adopted that attitude you're recomending, I'm afraid we'd be at war with the whole world.

You should also not that the Emperor is not really a position of power any longer in Japan. Japan is now a form of Democracy, and not Monarchy nor an Imperial nation, so he didn't bow to any leader.

Remember, the old ways aren't the best. The old ways included throwing an entire race of people in shackles when they had done nothing wrong. Which was very well a huge violation of the Constitution.

Lastly, after reviewing the bow Obama gave, I now realize that he didn't know what he was doing. It seems as though he had a lack of understanding of how to bow, and simply did it wrong.

I'm not afraid of Japan thinking we're weak. Remember what happened last time they thought that? I'm sure they do.

But Obama did make a joke of himself.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top