JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would bet there are people out there still chasing it. I hope none of them belong to this site?

There are some. Maybe not chasing the box around but still fall in lockstep. They're just not as open about backing b whoinsane but you can see they are still loyal followers.

Simple math

The person who calculated this bit of information is now, and has been a professor at the University of West Virginia in Morgantown for the last forty some years.

He says that:

A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year.

A new vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons of gas a year.

So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction reduced gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

The government claims 700,000 clunkers were replaced so that is 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $90 per barrel costs about $450 million dollars.

So, the Government paid 3 billion tax dollars in the Cash for Clinkers program, to save $450 million.

They spent $6.67 for every $1.00 they saved with little or no improvement to the environment.

We can rest assured though, that they will do a much better job with your health care.

Last Edited:
I heard on Lars the other day about a guy who's wife was paying $17 a month for her medicine is now paying over $120.....

what's affordable about that? From $204 to over $1400 a year? Are you kidding me?

while that simple math is for a year. how many "years" will that take to break even? 6 or 7 years based on your info. I say that is a good deal due to fact those new cars should last double that per the car industry.

I think the whole thing (obamacare) is just a big "Thank You" for the health insurance companies.
My health insurance just doubled & I don't even have an approved healthcare program.

I recently spent four years working for a healthcare payer, and Obamacare is a train wreck. I say that not with a bias toward my former employer, but rather here are a few considerations:
  1. Obamacare is 10,000+ pages of legislation, whereas the Canada Health Act is 18 pages. Why?
  2. Obamacare does nothing to address issues such as tort reform, pharmaceutical abuse, and more. Why not?
  3. Obamacare forced a redefinition of the benefit level for the offered plans/products. The insurance companies used to forecast assuming about 35% average utilization. Under Obamacare, a bronze plan must assume 60% utilization, a silver plan must assume 70% utilization, and a gold plan must assume 75% (or 80%?) utilization. This drives up costs.
  4. Obamacare requires more services to be covered (even if you don't need them). This drives up costs.
  5. Obamacare removes any lifetime-spending limits. This drives up costs.
  6. Just yesterday (Jan 13, 2014), the media is reporting that younger, healthier people are NOT signing up as needed. This is a serious problem for the underlying actuarial models, such that you can expect costs to go higher in 2015.
Seriously folks, items 3-6 are a mathematical issue. No one likes to think of it this way when it comes to the care of their loved ones, but the money has to come from somewhere.

...and before you berate me, I grew up in Canada and have spent 25+ years in each healthcare system, and I believe in a level of socialized medicine. There are pros and cons to each, but there is definitely no free ride in either system. In Canada you have serious rationing and more (my family still lives in BC).

However, Obamacare as written and approved by the Democrats is a *bubblegum* joke.

Peter

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top