JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Has the Obama administration proposed any intitiatives to restrict your gun rights?
Definitely, and from the walrus' own mouth.

You say it's from the "walrus' own mouth" but don't quote him? How weak is that? The best you can do is a general description of some foreign speech with some comment about guns with no legislative proposal attached, followed by off-topic references to Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton? Come on.

Has the Obama administration proposed any gun control legislation, or directed any anti-gun administrative action while in office? If so, cite it, and don't cite Bush initiatives that Obama hasn't cancelled. It should be easy if it's out there. When a president proposes legislation or directs a new administrative policy, it's a big deal and very public. If you can't find it, just man up and say so. Your wife will still love you.

So far all I'm hearing is a lot of "Ok, so he hasn't done anything yet, but.. but .. but .. I think he will, and that's good enuf for me... blah blah blah Democrats... blah blah blah... ruin our way of life... Nancy Pelosi and Hillary ...blah blah blah.. take away our guns... blah blah blah... God and country... blah blah blah."

Anyone got ANYTHING substantive?

I'm a pro-gun guy just looking for rationality rather than religious zealotry on this issue.

You guys know even if you spoon feed him forever it doesn't mean he will understand, take the current administration for example.

Last Edited:
Now now, let's keep this above the belt. No need for personal insults. I was just asking this question: Has the Obama administration proposed any intitiatives to restrict your gun rights?

So far, I'm still waiting. Anyone want to weigh in with real examples? I don't find "Obama and guns is a Oxy moron" or long-held grievances about the Democratic Party particularly helpful in that regard.

Okay, Gee, CEF, you're right. Maybe this guy Obama is just misunderstood and our bigoted fears are just getting in the way of understanding that there's nothing to fear, and we can all trust President Obama to heal the country and fix the damage done by the last 8 years.

You're right, he's done nothing to suggest my second amendment rights are in danger.

With all the other slimy behaviors of Obama, Rahm, Axelrod, Jarrett and the other mobsters from Mayor Daley's Chinatown crew, you want a thinking adult to say that Obama's policies are not part and parcel of a radical left-big union mob connected "Gangster government" that has a proven track record of anti-2A behavior?

That is very naive, my man. Good luck with the hopeychange.

Obama's been in office for over 6 months now -- 1/8 of his term. Has his administration taken any action specifically designed to restrict gun rights? Any proposals for gun, ammo, or accessory bans?

Seems to be a lot of hysteria about that, but I wonder if there's any foundation for it.

Reminds me of the story about a guy who goes to the police and says, "I want to file a complaint against my neighbor for stealing my car." The police captain says, "Your neighbor stole your car?" And the guy says, "No, but I can tell by the look in his eye that he's thinking about it."

Go watch Cam and Company on NRANEWS.COM and check out the NRA sight. You will see Obama has his hands on the guns already. He is being careful right now because of midterm elections and doesn't want to lose the house. But he will. TRUST ME.

I'm a pro-gun guy just looking for rationality rather than religious zealotry on this issue.

Hold up there big guy.

This is no place to bring up rationality. I've seen the ignorant "Bubbas" rise up like the peasants in the movie Frankenstein to destroy a logically assembled body of facts.

Mob of townspeople: "Burn the monster, kill him..." (Crowed jeers - shake pitchforks - wave torches)

Quit while your ahead CEF1959.
There are many people who won't be swayed by the truth.:nuts:

My original question was this: Given all the hysteria about how Obama's election was going to mean the end of private gun ownership, what has the OBAMA ADMINISTRATION done to propose a curtailment of YOUR gun rights?
I'm still waiting.
Wait no more,
Google up CIFTA and you will find the more recent insistence by Obama that he will be pushing for senate ratification.
Now, if you don't care about working on your own guns, or reloading your own ammunition, then maybe you don't feel this is "curtailment" of our gun rights.

Personally I think it is.

Then there are the statements by Eric Holder (the AG).

I could go on if you truly have an open mind.

careful CEF1959. A lot of people have developed an identity based on their firerams. Their pistols, rifles, and shotuns are no longer just a tool, a pastime, a recreation, but instead are a talisman. The fiream becomes an integral part of how one views one's self. Any perceived attack on the object is an attack on the individual. Because an individual will never be satisfied by these material objects, the interest and enthusiasm for shooting and firearms will manifest itself in many, many ways. Grown up men accessorizing their CQB rifle, painting their rifle in greens and browns, spending hard earned dollars to get that Nickel-plated 1911... it's Barbie dress-up for guns. I'm no different, but at least I am cognizant of what I am...
Stack up the hours spent cruising gunbroker, northwestfirearms, any number of online and brick and mortar stores... How many firearms related magazines might an individual subscribe to or purchase... compared to hours per month actually pulling a trigger? The ratios will be as varied as the individuals that make up this little online community.
Political awareness and activism is critical to preserving and maintaining gun ownership rights. But it's a slippery slope into righteous indignation, victimhood, and know-it-all-ism. The potential persecution, the perceived slight, is enough to make a peson cry "foul!", regardless of what really happened...
By all means, join the NRA, OFA, or whatever other affiliation you choose. Watch the Senate hearings carefully and pay attention to the mood of the legislative bodies that govern the country. Vote with your ballot and with your dollars. But be aware also that political diatribe is a habit, and preaching constantly to the choir is useless noise.

I see what is happening here, CEF1959 is only picking and choosing the points in the posts that suit his theory. I see many points made that he can't refute that he skipped right over. When someone makes a valid point he picks out something mundane and ignores the relevant.

I see what is happening here, CEF1959 is only picking and choosing the points in the posts that suit his theory. I see many points made that he can't refute that he skipped right over. When someone makes a valid point he picks out something mundane and ignores the relevant.

Kinda sounds like what a politician would do.

I think CEF1959 is trying to focus in to close. It is not a matter of what Obama has personaly proposed. The democrats have control right now, lead by our democratic president and they have a history of wanting to resrict our gun rights. If that is not enough to make the pro gun population nervouse about the future of their gun rights then I don't know what is. The beauty of the situation for Obama is he does not have to do it himself. That is what congress is for. He just has to sign it at the end.

So while you are sitting back quizing people on what Obama specificaly started himself (which is completely irrelavent) they will be slowly taking away our rights.

We should not be focusing on who is doing what. Instead we should make sure that we retain every gun right we currently have and maybe regain some we have lost. If we don't, they will take them away one at a time untill we are standing in lines waiting to hand our weapons and our freedom over to the government just like the people of England and Australia.

Good example of Obama deciding NOT to make an anti-gun proposal. Thanks.

Anyone else? Examples of Obama's administration proposing a restriction on gun rights?

Hey 1959! Dismissing the dangerous use of foreign treaties to deprive American citizens of their Constitutional rights is not a thing to take lightly and dismiss.
This tactic is becoming standard procedure in obtaining rules to "change" our legal system. There are more examples: the Administration is attempting to get Congress to ratify a United Nations treaty to enforce child care and treatment in the USA: as if there are not enough rules affecting the Family in this country. This has major implications in the implemenation of regulations NOT formed in this country. Not: by, for and OF the People!
Back to Gun Rights: Check out this link concerning the Mexico treaty.
http://www.gunowners.org/fs0901.htm
This "treaty" in fact would ban illicit manufacturing.
THAT is how reloading ammunition is described.
Does this help?, the new thrust is going around our elected government.
You will find the devil is in the details, and they are NOT widely published.
Furthermore, the Democrat Party leadership does not want the Congress to be able to read the details in the current batch of laws they are pushing.
Don't you question this?
Or do You assume they are all benign and protective of the citizens of this great county... I doubt it!

Last Edited:
Hold up there big guy.

This is no place to bring up rationality. I've seen the ignorant "Bubbas" rise up like the peasants in the movie Frankenstein to destroy a logically assembled body of facts.

Mob of townspeople: "Burn the monster, kill him..." (Crowed jeers - shake pitchforks - wave torches)

Quit while your ahead CEF1959.
There are many people who won't be swayed by the truth.:nuts:

And rather than try to add to the discussion, you label the other side "Bubbas" and come up with witty repartee to discredit anyone who disagrees with you. They're ignorant peasants, don't rile them up. Frankly your comments are borderline offensive, and I think I smell a pair of trolls.

Internet bravado.

Wait until universal healthcare is mandated.
How much do you think it costs (how much more it costs) to treat gunshot trauma?
How do you think the ruling-pro-health-care-party will propose to pay this extra cost?

Want to bet it's an ammo tax? Gun sales tax? Gun owner fee/registration?

It's coming folks, an the left is going to use every route there is to get there.

Wait until universal healthcare is mandated.
How much do you think it costs (how much more it costs) to treat gunshot trauma?
How do you think the ruling-pro-health-care-party will propose to pay this extra cost?

Want to bet it's an ammo tax? Gun sales tax? Gun owner fee/registration?

It's coming folks, an the left is going to use every route there is to get there.

That is an angle i hadn't thought of. I wonder how Canada handles this since they tax Tobacco and Alcohol to pay for medical expenses, oh that's right they have strict gun control :s0155:

OK here is Obama's own statement from change.gov

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

To CEF1959,

While I can appreciate you wanting
Anyone got ANYTHING substantive?
take a look at the bigger picture, at least in my opinion. Our current administration is withdrawn, paranoid and unpredictable. Obama never displays anything remotely suggesting Traditional American Values, even at the most basic levels and, what I see, appears to have deep, repressed anger. I am more distrustful of this administration than I have ever been since I was first able to vote (Ronald Reagen was my first Presidential vote) and I see this distrust growing daily in the community. Will this administration come after guns? You decide.

Some of Obama's track record:

Junior Senator (IL); President-Elect

Opposed bill okaying illegal gun use in home invasions
Hale DeMar, a 52-year-old Wilmette resident, was arrested and charged with misdemeanor violations for shooting, in the shoulder and leg, a burglar who broke into his home not once, but twice. Cook County prosecutors dropped all charges against DeMar.

In March 2004, the Illinois Senate passed Senate Bill 2165, a law introduced in response to DeMar's case, with provisions designed to assert a right of citizens to protect themselves against home invasions, such that self-defense requirements would be viewed to take precedence over local ordinances against handgun possession. The measure passed the Illinois Senate by a vote of 38-20. Barack Obama was one of the 20 state senators voting against the measure.

Governor Rod Blagojevich vetoed the bill. On Nov. 9, 2004, the Illinois Senate voted 40-18 to override Blagojevich's veto. Again, Obama acted against the bill.

On Nov. 17, the Illinois House voted overwhelmingly, 85-30, to override the governor's veto and Senate Bill 2165 became law.
Source: Obama Nation, by Jerome Corsi, p.241-242 Aug 1, 2008

Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws
Q: Is the D.C. law prohibiting ownership of handguns consistent with an individual's right to bear arms?

A: As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can't constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it.

Q: But do you still favor the registration & licensing of guns?

A: I think we can provide common-sense approaches to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets. We can make sure that criminals don't have guns in their hands. We can make certain that those who are mentally deranged are not getting a hold of handguns. We can trace guns that have been used in crimes to unscrupulous gun dealers that may be selling to straw purchasers and dumping them on the streets.
Source: 2008 Philadelphia primary debate, on eve of PA primary Apr 16, 2008

FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban
Obama was being misleading when he denied that his handwriting had been on a document endorsing a state ban on the sale and possession of handguns in Illinois. Obama responded, "No, my writing wasn't on that particular questionnaire. As I said, I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns."

Actually, Obama's writing was on the 1996 document, which was filed when Obama was running for the Illinois state Senate. A Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois, had this question, and Obama took hard line:

35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.

Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok
Q: You said recently, "I have no intention of taking away folks' guns." But you support the D.C. handgun ban, and you've said that it's constitutional. How do you reconcile those two positions?

A: Because I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country. I think it's important for us to recognize that we've got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people's traditions.
Source: 2008 Politico pre-Potomac Primary interview Feb 11, 2008

2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month
Obama sought moderate gun control measures, such as a 2000 bill he cosponsored to limit handgun purchases to one per month (it did not pass). He voted against letting people violate local weapons bans in cases of self-defense, but also voted in2004 to let retired police officers carry concealed handguns.

Source: The Improbable Quest, by John K. Wilson, p.148 Oct 30, 2007

Concealed carry OK for retired police officers
Obama voted for a bill in the Illinois senate that allowed retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons. If there was any issue on which Obama rarely deviated, it was gun control. He was the most strident candidate when it came to enforcin and expanding gun control laws. So this vote jumped out as inconsistent.

When I queried him about the vote, he said, "I didn't find that [vote] surprising. I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. This was a narrow exception in an exceptional circumstance where a retired police officer might find himself vulnerable as a consequence of the work he has previously done--and had been trained extensively in the proper use of firearms."

It wasn't until a few weeks later that another theory came forward about the uncharacteristic vote. Obama was battling with his GOP opponent to win the endorsement of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Source: From Promise to Power, by David Mendell, p.250-251 Aug 14, 2007

Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities
Q: How would you address gun violence that continues to be the #1 cause of death among African-American men?

A: You know, when the massacre happened at Virginia Tech, I think all of us were grief stricken and shocked by the carnage. But in this year alone, in Chicago, we've had 34 Chicago public school students gunned down and killed. And for the most part, there has been silence. We know what to do. We've got to enforce the gun laws that are on the books. We've got to make sure that unscrupulous gun dealers aren't loading up vans and dumping guns in our communities, because we know they're not made in our communities. There aren't any gun manufacturers here, right here in the middle of Detroit. But what we also have to do is to make sure that we change our politics so that we care just as much about those 30-some children in Chicago who've been shot as we do the children in Virginia Tech. That's a mindset that we have to have in the White House and we don't have it right now.
Source: 2007 NAACP Presidential Primary Forum Jul 12, 2007

Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality
I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manfuacturer's lobby. But I also believe that when a gangbanger shoots indiscriminately into a crowd because he feels someone disrespected him, we have a problem of morality. Not only do ew need to punish thatman for his crime, but we need to acknowledge that there's a hole in his heart, one that government programs alone may not be able to repair.
Source: The Audacity of Hope, by Barack Obama, p.215 Oct 1, 2006

Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban
KEYES: [to Obama]: I am a strong believer in the second amendment. The gun control mentality is ruthlessly absurd. It suggests that we should pass a law that prevents law abiding citizens from carrying weapons. You end up with a situation where the crook have all the guns and the law abiding citizens cannot defend themselves. I guess that's good enough for Senator Obama who voted against the bill that would have allowed homeowners to defend themselves if their homes were broken into.

OBAMA: Let's be honest. Mr. Keyes does not believe in common gun control measures like the assault weapons bill. Mr. Keyes does not believe in any limits from what I can tell with respect to the possession of guns, including assault weapons that have only one purpose, to kill people. I think it is a scandal that this president did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban.
Source: Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes Oct 21, 2004

Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions

* Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
* Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.

* Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.

Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998

Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.

Very well done Trismn, thank you for your effort and research.

I hope this keeps this type of forum open and interesting, but the jabbing and reckless taunting by a Corvallis based poster sometimes leave one to wonder how Liberal and Left winged our educational system had become.. In reality it just demonstrates what is known and being taught.

Very well done Trismn, thank you for your effort and research.

I hope this keeps this type of forum open and interesting, but the jabbing and reckless taunting by a Corvallis based poster sometimes leave one to wonder how Liberal and Left winged our educational system had become.. In reality it just demonstrates what is known and being taught.

You had to know when he put up the challenge that the phrase "I'm your Huckleberry" popped in to my head. :D

One thing I must give the guy credit for though is asking for sources and not internet conjecture

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads