JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ns-import-izhmash-kalashnikov-saiga-firearms/

Earlier today, the Department of Commerce announced new sanctions against Russian products and companies operating in the United States. Previous sanctions only tangentially impacted the import of cheap and reliable firearms from Russia into the United States, but now the Obama administration is specifically targeting the makers of Saiga rifles and shotguns, as well as other companies. From the Executive Order. . .

The following entities have been added to OFAC's SDN List:

[...]

KALASHNIKOV CONCERN (a.k.a. CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; a.k.a. IZHEVSKIY MASHINOSTROITEL'NYI ZAVOD OAO; f.k.a. IZHMASH R&D CENTER; f.k.a. JSC NPO IZHMASH; f.k.a. NPO IZHMASH OAO; a.k.a. OJSC CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; f.k.a. OJSC IZHMASH; f.k.a. SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION ASSOCIATION IZHMASH JOINT STOCK COMPANY), 3, Derjabin Pr., Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic 426006, Russia; Registration ID 1111832003018 [UKRAINE2].

So the importation of new Izmash-produced firearms is now banned indefinitely in the United States. But that executive order definitely raises some questions for those currently in possession of a firearm manufactured by the now-sanctioned firearms companies. For example, can a gun dealer sell their existing stock? From the FAQ regarding the legality of items already in the United States:

374. If I own a Kalashnikov product, is that product blocked by sanctions? Am I able to resell a Kalashnikov product at a gun show or other secondary market?

If a U.S. person is in possession of a Kalashnikov Concern product that was bought and fully paid for prior to the date of designation (i.e., no payment remains due to Kalashnikov Concern), then that product is not blocked and OFAC sanctions would not prohibit the U.S. person from keeping or selling the product in the secondary market, so long as Kalashnikov Concern has no interest in the transaction. New transactions by U.S. persons with Kalashnikov Concern are prohibited, however, and any property in which Kalashnikov Concern has an interest is blocked pursuant to OFAC's designation of Kalashnikov Concern on July 16, 2014. If a U.S. person has an inventory of Kalashnikov Concern products in which Kalashnikov Concern has an interest (for example, the products are not fully paid for or are being sold on consignment), we advise that U.S. person to contact OFAC for further guidance on handling of the inventory. [7-16-2014]

375. If I have Kalashnikov products in my inventory, can I sell them?

If a U.S. person has an inventory of Kalashnikov Concern products in which Kalashnikov Concern has an interest (for example, the products are not fully paid for or are being sold on consignment), we advise that U.S. person to contact OFAC for further guidance on handling of the inventory. [7-16-2014]

We all saw this coming, but the reality is always more confusing and distasteful than the perception. There is no word at this time whether additional Russian firearms related manufacturers will get the same treatment.​

G'damn SOB's.
This administration is so incredibly evil. They should be able to sue.
They already meet importation requirements AND once here they are generally decked out in US made parts.. A few folks dont follow 922r, but as far as conversion companies go its all up to code.

Its singling out one manufacturer.. Its not like other parts kits from Serbia arent flooding the states! Npaps, M92's and M85s are everywhere now. I heard rumor no more AK pistols including M92's either.. But I had thought that was hog wash.. Guess it has merit now.

Last Edited:
The import ban goes directly against the 2nd amendment more than people care to realise. The first gun in the America's along with the guns used during the revolutionary war, the war that allowed the creation of the 2nd amendment... were imported British, French, Spanish arms etc... This nation was built from the spoils of war. The arms here immediately following the creation of the 2nd amendment were mostly imports or direct copies being made or assembled here......there is absolutely no legal precedence to ban imported firearms in regards to the 2nd amendment. Bush & Obama and any other that has done this are traitors to the Constitution.

Last Edited:
Another BS executive order from what I would say is clearly the most anti-gun president in history. Thank you to everyone that chose to elect this idiot. I hope you're getting your money's worth. This man is a fool and a liar and seems to think he's king rather than president. How this loony got elected to a 2nd term is beyond me. I guess it's time to start writing to senators and congresspeople this morning to tell them yet again that they're not doing their job to protect our rights.

This sucks if you want to buy a Saiga, but it isn't that unusual. Pretty much every President has targeted arms imports as part of sanctions, and done it via Executive Order.

We are potentially entering a conflict with Russia, so it's pretty traditional to target their arms manufacturers and other industries like energy. Hopefully this will put enough pressure from the new breed of Russian oligarchs on Putin to back down over Ukraine before we put boots on the ground.

Since taking office, the Bush administration has imposed sanctions related to unconventional weapons and missile proliferation 278 times against 197 foreign entities and one U.S. entity, a subsidiary of a Chinese company. Many foreign entities have been sanctioned multiple times, such as North Korea's Changgwang Sinyong Corp., which has been penalized on nine separate occasions.

The number of sanctions invoked annually by the Bush administration has oscillated but averages about 35 times per year. In comparison, the Clinton administration averaged eight sanctions annually, according to June 4, 2003, testimony to the House International Relations Committee by John Bolton, then undersecretary of state for arms control and international security.

If all you ever read was this blog you would think that the only thing Obama banned was Russian firearms - but that is only one piece of the pie -

"The Obama administration announced new, tougher sanctions against Russia on Wednesday, targeting major banks and energy companies, a significant swath of the Russian defense industry, and individuals it said were responsible for the continuing support of separatists battling government forces in eastern Ukraine"

I find less and less that I like about Obama but as least put the ban in context.

JRuby the only context that is forum related is what was originally written about by the original poster. Example: When a ceasefire person meets with gunny burdick to write new legislation to ban semi autos, what's important and the only thing relevant to this forum, is the firearm related context. Whether the ceasefire person took a bathroom break or bought a ham sandwich, is not.

This makes it appear that the only thing Obama attacked was Russian arms - which is not completely true - the fact that some would like to beleive that this once again is only about stomping on the 2A is falacy in my opinion. It is about the desire not to send troops into the Ukraine through diplomatic means and you compare that to taking a bathroom break.

So under your logic, lets say if they ban arms under the pretense to be saving children's lives from 'gun violence', we all should be seeing the bigger picture.... not what effects our right to own a type of firearm that is now suddenly banned but "think about the children". Gotcha....

Kalashnikov Concern had one of the best party booths at SHOT 2014.. Hail Kalashnikov headshot posters everywhere, smoothest vodka shots.. (took an hour to walk straight after those) teeny tasty s'amiches with no crusts and giant grapes. For the guys.. 7' well heeled 100lb supermodels. I thought they were a bit much.. but the Russian mafia looking bouncer guys really added to the ambiance..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top