JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Police officer. I was always told cop is kind of rude to say.
I may be wrong.

It depends on who you talk to. Some say cop means Constable on Patrol. Others will say it's a criminal reference to police, a shortened version of "copper" or what there badges use to be made out of. I don't think it's rude to say, but I try to address law enforcement by the agency they work for i.e. Officer, deputy or trooper. In general I try to say local or state law enforcement, but I say cop a **** of a lot too!. :D

Police officer. I was always told cop is kind of rude to say.
I may be wrong.

The term is from England where police were called "coppers" due to their brass buttons. While not rude, it's also not deferential, kind of like saying, "He's a Jew" instead of saying, "He's Jewish".

At any rate, thank you for your service to your community.

It depends on who you talk to. Some say cop means Constable on Patrol. Others will say it's a criminal reference to police, a shortened version of "copper" or what there badges use to be made out of. I don't think it's rude to say, but I try to address law enforcement by the agency they work for i.e. Officer, deputy or trooper. In general I try to say local or state law enforcement, but I say cop a **** of a lot too!. :D

"Cop" short for "Copper"was originally a derogitory slang term used by criminals to refer to the police based upon the material that their badges were made of. If you ever watched an old gangster movie you have probably heard James Cagney say something like "You'll never take me alive you dirty coppers." If you watch the Mad Max movies (based on Australia) they refer similarly to those officers as "bronzes." Like many derogitory terms over time it can be embraced by those as a "badge of honor" excuse the pun. For example during the American Revolution, the British referred to the colonists as Yankees, in order to make fun of them. If you have ever really paid attention to the words of Yankee Doodle, you will know that it wasn't meant to be a positive term. "Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni." However, the colonists embraced the term Yankee with pride instead. Likewise the US Marine Corp got its nickname Devil Dogs from the Germans in WWII based on their fierceness in battle they called them Tuefel Hunds. The Marines wear the name with pride. So although the initial reference to the police as COPS was negative it has been more or less embraced and we have the reality TV show of the same name that the police don't have a problem appearing on because the name is offensive. :s0155:

I just went to their site and read their mission statement. Very cool!!! I hope that many service men and women see the merit of such an organization and take their message to heart. To those of you who are "Oath Keepers" (official or not), thank you for your service and I wish all of you the very best!

I just went to their site and read their mission statement. Very cool!!! I hope that many service men and women see the merit of such an organization and take their message to heart. To those of you who are "Oath Keepers" (official or not), thank you for your service and I wish all of you the very best!

AMEN.....

Mike

There is a reality show called COPS that most cops I know actually like to watch.

I've never met a cop who I believe would be an oath keeper if the SHTF. Would they give up their career, paycheck, benefits and retirement just for you? I doubt it. Belonging right now is easy. Just wait until the rubber meets the road and they will follow orders.

There is a reality show called COPS that most cops I know actually like to watch.

I've never met a cop who I believe would be an oath keeper if the SHTF. Would they give up their career, paycheck, benefits and retirement just for you? I doubt it. Belonging right now is easy. Just wait until the rubber meets the road and they will follow orders.

Sad but true. I know some cops and I have asked this question- "If your governing elected official (mayor, Sheriff, Governor) gave you a directive to disarm law abiding citizens, would you do it?" Their answer was, they would not take a hard stance and say "go to ****", they would go door to door asking, "do you have any guns" while shaking their head no. As if to send a hidden message to the citizen that they are just doing what they were told, even tho thier heart was not in it, to save thir job.
The problem is, if (when) we come to that again (katrina) the cops will be paired up with an informant to notify the elected official of the cops actions and willingness to comply. Its a good exercise, ask the question and just sit back and make notes of the responses you get.
Two good friends of mine were talking, one a Citizen, one a cop. The Citizen friend asked this question to his cop friend. The cop said he would follow the directive. The Citizen said to the cop not to come to his door as he would put a bullet in his head. This really shocked the cop as being such close friends with the Citizen, and through logical dialogue, caused him to rethink his stance.
The Citizen friend is now a cop, he is on the side of defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights at all cost :)

Sad but true. I know some cops and I have asked this question- "If your governing elected official (mayor, Sheriff, Governor) gave you a directive to disarm law abiding citizens, would you do it?" Their answer was, they would not take a hard stance and say "go to ****", they would go door to door asking, "do you have any guns" while shaking their head no. As if to send a hidden message to the citizen that they are just doing what they were told, even tho thier heart was not in it, to save thir job.
The problem is, if (when) we come to that again (katrina) the cops will be paired up with an informant to notify the elected official of the cops actions and willingness to comply. Its a good exercise, ask the question and just sit back and make notes of the responses you get.
Two good friends of mine were talking, one a Citizen, one a cop. The Citizen friend asked this question to his cop friend. The cop said he would follow the directive. The Citizen said to the cop not to come to his door as he would put a bullet in his head. This really shocked the cop as being such close friends with the Citizen, and through logical dialogue, caused him to rethink his stance.
The Citizen friend is now a cop, he is on the side of defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights at all cost :)

You just described the "Political Officer" in a Communist regime, to a T.

You must not know many cops. Many have sacrificed to do the right thing- you just don't see it. It's not always an 'all or nothing' proposition. Do this right thing doesn't always get you fired, it gets you stuck on crappy assignments or being passed over for promotion.

You must not know many cops. Many have sacrificed to do the right thing- you just don't see it. It's not always an 'all or nothing' proposition. Do this right thing doesn't always get you fired, it gets you stuck on crappy assignments or being passed over for promotion.

Which proves the culture sucks.

If the SHTF ALL cops will do one of two things. They will follow orders or they will go home to take care of their families like the rest of us want to do. Everyone of them who has a family including elder parents, etc. will be wanting to go check on them. I see a lot of desertions among the police and the military.

The cops who decide to follow orders, if the orders are to confiscate property people need won't last long. There really aren't that many of them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top