JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting story on NPR this morning: With Robberies Up, Oakland Residents Turn To Private Cops : NPR

Highlights:
The city of Oakland, Calif., is in the middle of a robbery epidemic. In response, some residents in several Oakland neighborhoods are taking matters into their own hands, hiring private security companies to patrol their neighborhoods.

"Three doors down across the street, my neighbor was putting his key in the door at 7 o'clock after coming home from work," Ferris says. "[He] was rushed from the street — didn't see, apparently, the people coming. But he ended up being beaten, hospitalized and, obviously, robbed."

So after the carpool robbery, residents in two different sections of the neighborhood used a crowdfunding website to raise tens of thousands of dollars. They're using the funds to hire private security patrols on a four-month trial period. More than 600 households pay $20 a month for unarmed patrols in clearly marked cars to run 12 hours a day, Monday through Saturday.

and my favorite

Aruda, like Ferris, is an attorney, a parent of two and a neighborhood activist. She says the organizers of the crowdfunding efforts bypassed the objections of their neighbors. "And the rest of us, who have not signed up with this company, there's no accountability for us," she says. "If there are problems with patrols in the neighborhood, we have no one to go to because we're not contractees. The security company has no responsibility to us. There's no transparency." One of Aruda's concerns is the potential for racial profiling. Aruda says she has a teenage son whose friends might be targeted as "suspicious" in their own neighborhood.

So here is the interesting question. As we start to see the realities of tax income not equaling expenditures and basic services (ie police) are cut back, are we going to start to see more calls for self defense? Maybe more gated communities with private security? This is California, how far does the pendulum need to swing until people begin to demand the a return of the ability to defend themselves?

Back in the day I worked in the SF area on a big cable job (lived in Wa). A saying said: "If you drop your wallet in SF, better kick it to Oakland." I guess that ain't a good place to kick yer wallet today...

Yea I recall there was some nice areas in Oakland especially before the fire, those homes were many turn of the century and awesome.
But DT, around Martin Luther King Blvd was alwasy a bad area. It used to be on 80 you can go left off the freeway not right when heading to SF.
Now don't get off LOL

Martin Luther King Blvd is a sh!thole in any town.

My father used to live in Alameda on the boarder of Oakland. The Alameda PD used to have cruisers on each bridge and tunnel to Oakland most nights doing nothing but random checks of thuggish looking folks. Occasionally you would hear about "profiling" but it didn't go very far. Alameda is one of the most diverse communities in the Bay area, (working) middle class and get it. In the event of a Katrina moment, I suspect there would be city dump trucks blocking those bridges with rifles on top.

If California didn't have draconian gun laws on the books, thanks to Bay Area native Diane Feinstein, they wouldn't need private security forces....they could protect themselves via their Constitutional right not being infringed on as it now.

If you are at risk entering and leaving your home, buying OC would be preferable to paying unarmed patrols. Have they completely banned concealed carry in the bay area? If you wanted to try your luck taking anyone with an acceptable level of situational awareness, and some basic pistol training, between their front door and the driveway, they could ruin your day, even with a modest caliber gun with a 10 round magazine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top