JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As an aside, this fellow will likely lose his WA State concealed-pistol license (CPL) over his carelessness. That means he loses the right to conceal carry in WA State.

Again, if you're going to carry then have your chit together.

Well said. Manual safeties are just warm fuzzies. Amazing how many people RELY on them to supposedly keep them safe. :rolleyes:

They are not warm-fuzzies. They are also not fullproof but I'll bet you a bundle that today, that guy wishes he had a model with a decocking safety. Like it or not, a striker fired pistol with a safety on the trigger is more subject to ND when holstering than a hammer fired gun with a decocking safety. With the striker fired gun you rely on everything going right and nothing getting inside the trigger gaurd. But with a decocking safety, you have to overcome the safety, overcome the double action pull, and overcome your thumb pressing into the back of the hammer when holstering to make sure it doesn't move. Not impossible to do but it adds several layers of protection against being a bonehead. And EVERYONE is a bonehead sometimes.

Last Edited:
He covered it with a napkin, probably because he was embarrassed he was carrying a hi-point. Didn't want anyone seeing it in his holster either,

Sooooo, it was a sanitary napkin then???

The point is she went out for dinner and he shot the old lady so it is his responsibility to pay and take what consenquences come about it.

That's "a" point, but IMO hardly "the" point.

They are not warm-fuzzies. They are also not fullproof but I'll bet you a bundle that today, that guy wishes he had a model with a decocking safety. Like it or not, a striker fired pistol with a safety on the trigger is more subject to ND when holstering than a hammer fired gun with a decocking safety. With the striker fired gun you rely on everything going right and nothing getting inside the trigger gaurd. But with a decocking safety, you have to overcome the safety, overcome the double action pull, and overcome your thumb pressing into the back of the hammer when holstering to make sure it doesn't move. Not impossible to do but it adds several layers of protection against being a bonehead. And EVERYONE is a bonehead sometimes.

I understand your position. I'd be curious if you could cite some sources for the claim that striker fired guns are more likely to ND.

Regardless, I think relying mainly on a manual safety is a REALLY bad habit. I also think that folks who rely on such things probably spend less time learning proper handling because the manual safety DOES give them the warm fuzzy feeling that all is good. It creates complacency and encourages less awareness because afterall, the gun MUST be safe because they flipped the switch. I'm not saying everyone, but I'm sure MANY flip that switch and just assume all is safe and good.

I'd assert that people that have NDs from striker fired guns are people that got used to their warm and fuzzy switch and never really learned proper handling or safe handling of firearms.

Oh, and that proper safe handling along with a quality holster will just about negate any chance of an ND. With ANY firearm.

I understand your position. I'd be curious if you could cite some sources for the claim that striker fired guns are more likely to ND.

I don't have studies. It is based on my prejudice. ;-)

Regardless, I think relying mainly on a manual safety is a REALLY bad habit. I also think that folks who rely on such things probably spend less time learning proper handling because the manual safety DOES give them the warm fuzzy feeling that all is good. It creates complacency and encourages less awareness because afterall, the gun MUST be safe because they flipped the switch. I'm not saying everyone, but I'm sure MANY flip that switch and just assume all is safe and good.

Who knows, maybe, but again based on my prejudices, I don't think so. In order to become proficient with decocking safety DA/SA pistol, you have to practice MORE not less. I think the reason that striker fired pistols with trigger safeties are so popular, is that the training requirements are lessened. I don't have any facts to back that up -- it's just an opinion (and we all know what they say: opinions are like bubblegums, everone's got one).

I'd assert that people that have NDs from striker fired guns are people that got used to their warm and fuzzy switch and never really learned proper handling or safe handling of firearms.

Perhaps, but if you've put in the time to learn how to use a more difficult gun (but with layers of bonehead move protection), why give it up?

Oh, and that proper safe handling along with a quality holster will just about negate any chance of an ND. With ANY firearm.

Absolutely agree 100%. Had he never taken the gun out of the holster, it could have been a hair trigger 1911, cocked, unlocked, and loaded, and he'd have been fine.

I told The Missus about this story. I conveyed my astonishment that he unholstered in public without a threat, and said I'd never do that.

She said, "Well, he probably kept a round in the chamber."

I replied, "That's the way I usually carry."

Silence…

I don't think The Missus approves.

They are not warm-fuzzies. They are also not fullproof but I'll bet you a bundle that today, that guy wishes he had a model with a decocking safety. Like it or not, a striker fired pistol with a safety on the trigger is more subject to ND when holstering than a hammer fired gun with a decocking safety. With the striker fired gun you rely on everything going right and nothing getting inside the trigger gaurd. But with a decocking safety, you have to overcome the safety, overcome the double action pull, and overcome your thumb pressing into the back of the hammer when holstering to make sure it doesn't move. Not impossible to do but it adds several layers of protection against being a bonehead. And
EVERYONE is a bonehead sometimes.

My striker fired XDM also has a rear grip safety like a 1911, I've tried to fire it numerous time when I first acquired it and it works fine.
People just need to learn and practice to keep their GD fingers off the trigger!!!!

One thing I can't help but notice is that gun owners always hold other gun owners accountable when they make dumbass moves. How many other groups of people can you name that grill their own when they do something boneheaded?

One thing I can't help but notice is that gun owners always hold other gun owners accountable when they make dumbass moves. How many other groups of people can you name that grill their own when they do something boneheaded?
Imo we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. There aren't that many other sports where the consequences of a mistake can be so severe.

But having said that it's not that hard to be safe. How many of these type of accidents can be avoided by simply following the basic rules of gun safety? When I was young that was drilled into us before we were ever allowed to touch a gun. Nowadays I wonder how many poeple (fe new to guns or not brought up with guns etc.) don't even know what the basic safety rules are?

Jeff Cooper's Four Rules:
  • All guns are always loaded.
  • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
  • Be sure of your target and what is beyond it

I fixed it for ya

Nowadays I wonder how many poeple (fe new to guns or not brought up with guns etc.) don't even know what the basic safety rules are?

Marine LtCol Jeff Cooper's Four Rules:

When I unholster my gun, it's either to stand in front of the urinal, or to let my wife polish it... I thought it was illegal to fondle my "gun" in public!

As far as critiquing gun owners when they do something negligent....
When someone does something wrong with a gun...someone , maybe even the firearm shooter , can be hurt or killed.
This along with the negative press that will posted or on the news...
Says to me , one should critique the incident and gun owner.

Meaning not just "calling out" the gun owner if he did something stupid....but...
Seeing just what I can learn from what happened...all with the idea of being a "better gun owner".

Is this fair....? Maybe or maybe not...it all depends on the circumstances around the incident.

What I do know is that :
I keep my finger off the trigger , until I am ready to shoot and practice muzzle awareness...
By doing the above , if I do flub up...the chances of harming myself or others goes down.
Andy

When are all the .40 fanboys gonna find a sense of humor? :rolleyes:
We freely admit it isn't as powerful as 10mm. 19EA3762-5B35-4B23-84A1-97C7FF920DDD.jpeg

Imo we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. There aren't that many other sports where the consequences of a mistake can be so severe.

But having said that it's not that hard to be safe. How many of these type of accidents can be avoided by simply following the basic rules of gun safety? When I was young that was drilled into us before we were ever allowed to touch a gun. Nowadays I wonder how many poeple (fe new to guns or not brought up with guns etc.) don't even know what the basic safety rules are?

Jeff Cooper's Four Rules:
Just saying gun owners are an anomaly in that sense. Which other group or demographic will chastise their own when they do senseless, dangerous things? Maybe it's just that gun owners are a more reasonable breed of people :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top