JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"There are also Deluxe models of some combos that had a Nickle receiver."

Silver anodized, including the trigger guard that housed a gold-plated trigger. Fox and Grouse engravings on each side of the receiver. My WMR/20 is in this configuration. Marked "24H-DL".

View attachment 772365

I stupidly turned down a deal on a deluxe .357 Max/20ga a few years back... still kick myself.

Me and my wife both love combo guns, the savage 24 has so many different versions over the years you basically have your choice of options/accessories.

I was curious, what's your experience with accuracy and separate barrels vs fused barrels? If they have hangers are they adjustable?

I really want 223/12 I think it would make a great timber coyote gun and the wife wants a 22wmr/20 for small game and hiking.

Gorgeous guns guys

I have the .223/20ga, but good luck finding a .233/12ga. They were done during the last gasp of the Model 24, so production numbers were low I think.

Combo guns have always struck me as the El Camino of the gun world. Really don't do anything well.

I will grant you the credit of believing you have no extensive experience with a Savage Model 24.

My introduction to them was my father's WMR/20ga.

Much to the contrary, Sir: this gun has done everything well for its entire service: when a less versatile gun was not the best.

Utilized less than 4 weeks ago to keep a skunk out of camp...permanently. It was the one gun in camp with ammo attached to it that could serve toward any decision that skunk made.
These guns earn their keep. All the time. Sometimes for 55 years.

And the Hollenbeck did something well on this day:

P1120222.JPG

Sometimes they do all things well for 115 years.

A childhood friend of mine has been a Sheriff in eastern Oregon for many years. 5,6,7 years ago we met up in Estacada for lunch. After lunch we walked out to his SUV and he showed me his "get home gun". It was one of the Baikal 12 over .308. An ammo can of each sat beside it. While I'd rather a repeater with a little more capacity for that duty, he obviously has much more experience dealing with trouble.
I'd be more inclined to believe one like his would be the ultimate survival tool.

Combo guns have always struck me as the El Camino of the gun world. Really don't do anything well.

On lots of stuff, I totally agree, but not Savage 24s. My 30-30/20ga could be your only gun and still feed and defend you well. With the right mix of ammo you could take anything from squirrels all the way up to the largest game animals in North America. With the 30-30, buck shot, and slugs, you could keep 2 legged predators cleaned put too.

I owned a model 24 in 22mag/20 gage and a Bakial in 22/410....for the 2 guns I owned the impact point between the barrels was so different you could not use the sights for both barrels..at 40yds when the rifle was dead on the shotgun on one would be a full pattern and a half low....I'd use the open sights for the shotgun and then see thru mounts and a scope for the rifle which would make the gun unwieldy so I got rid of them

For modern combination guns available on market today
Blaser for 5k$ +
FAIR combo /double rifle/ for 2200$ order from Italian gun group. Bonus of FAIR that possible order with multiple barrels O/U shotgun/combo/double rifle
Sabatti Forest 1800$ for combo gun can be ordered from Italian Gun Group.

I only owned Baikal combo and double rifle. Can't say it's nice or good shooting, barrel regulation suck, it's heavy no balance. But it's only cost 350$ Each back then.

41E785CC-3B4D-4157-BF79-1947502DBF6D.jpeg

I'm going to play a little "Devil's Advocate" here, but I just don't like the idea of the rifle and shotgun built into one gun.
It just seems like a lot of extra weight to be dragging around, when only half the gun is being used.
A much more preferable idea, to me, would be a break action single that's available with a separate rifle barrel and shotgun barrel.
You simply choose what quarry you want to pursue (before heading out), insert the proper barrel and you're off to the races.
AFAIK, only H&R and Rossi ever offered such a package, though....seems like it should be a more popular setup.
JMHO.

Dean

Last Edited:
"You simply choose what your quarry is going to be at that moment ..."

And proceed to disassemble your firearm. And reassemble your firearm.
I believe your "moment" is of a greater longevity than most I've had while hunting.

I'll speculate and re-interpret that you would choose your quarry and the barrel prior to hunting.

And that, my friend, is the beauty of a Combo Gun: You don't have to do that.

If I needed a different long gun during a hunt, I would probably not be going for swapping barrels between shotgun and rifle barrels before the hunt. I would just choose another long gun; I already have shotguns and rifles.

As said, the benefit of a O/U (or drilling/et. al.) is having both shotgun and rifle along at the time so that when you run into game that is better taken with either, you have it handy. Walking around in the woods hunting, I have more often run into birds or rabbits/etc. than I have a deer or elk. In short, you often do not know what game you will run into in the field - if you do (e.g., hunting pheasant, ducks, geese, etc.), then just choose a shotgun to start with.

In a SHTF situation, having such a combination long gun would be a benefit IMO.

I have several combos; a Savage .223 over 20 ga (yes, it is relatively heavy) and a M6 Scout .410/.22LR (I gave this to my dad as a survival gun as he was a pilot). I was tempted by the Savage 12/.223 O/U combo currently in the classifieds, but I figure the 20 ga I have is adequate, maybe even more appropriate, and $ is short right now.

If I needed a different long gun during a hunt, I would probably not be going for swapping barrels between shotgun and rifle barrels before the hunt. I would just choose another long gun; I already have shotguns and rifles.

As said, the benefit of a O/U (or drilling/et. al.) is having both shotgun and rifle along at the time so that when you run into game that is better taken with either, you have it handy. Walking around in the woods hunting, I have more often run into birds or rabbits/etc. than I have a deer or elk. In short, you often do not know what game you will run into in the field - if you do (e.g., hunting pheasant, ducks, geese, etc.), then just choose a shotgun to start with.

In a SHTF situation, having such a combination long gun would be a benefit IMO.

I have several combos; a Savage .223 over 20 ga (yes, it is relatively heavy) and a M6 Scout .410/.22LR (I gave this to my dad as a survival gun as he was a pilot). I was tempted by the Savage 12/.223 O/U combo currently in the classifieds, but I figure the 20 ga I have is adequate, maybe even more appropriate, and $ is short right now.

@The Heretic - I don't see it. Where was that one at in the classifides

"You simply choose what your quarry is going to be at that moment ..."

And proceed to disassemble your firearm. And reassemble your firearm.
I believe your "moment" is of a greater longevity than most I've had while hunting.

I'll speculate and re-interpret that you would choose your quarry and the barrel prior to hunting.

And that, my friend, is the beauty of a Combo Gun: You don't have to do that.
I just re-read my post and must apologize.
I didn't mean that you carry the extra barrel around and "instantly" change it depending on what game presented itself to you.
I meant that, once you park the car, you could choose the barrel to suit your hunting situation, and then head out.
In this sense, you don't need an "arsenal" of separate arms, only a single receiver that would fit various barrels of differing calibers and gauges.
I still feel that's a better way to go, since its purpose at the time you're using it is more "pure ", but we're all due our own opinions.
Apologies for the mislead.
Not intentional, and I've modified my post to reflect that.

Dean

Last Edited:
I just re-read my post and must apologize.
I didn't mean that you carry the extra barrel around and "instantly" change it depending on what game presented itself to you.
I meant that, once you park the car, you could choose the barrel to suit your hunting situation, and then head out.
In this sense, you don't need an "arsenal" of separate arms, only a single receiver that would fit various barrels of differing calibers and gauges.
I still feel that's a better way to go, since its purpose at the time you're using it is more "pure ", but we're all due our own opinions.
Apologies for the mislead.
Not intentional, and I've modified my post to reflect that.

Dean
I knew what you meant, gave you credit for it, and addressed even that. (But not before I made light fun of your choice of words.:))

My point (and our only difference) is that there are hunts quite regular in my current and past experience where the quarry is not isolated to one species. A switch barrel gun does not account for that once the hunter has left camp (or the truck). As only one example, the combo gun allows a deer/antelope hunter in Eastern Montana to effectively pursue Sharptail Grouse and Pheasants while being entirely equipped to make a shot on big game at those ranges, then stop on the return trip to call predators.

All in ONE walk.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top