JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In some calibers with the right ammo, some people use these for turkey.

Heard they are popular in Europe too. Not to mention drillings and other combination long guns.

Valmet made the 412 models with interchangeable barrels, O/U double rifles, double shotguns, combination and IIRC you could adjust the POI. Valmet also made some for Savage who rebranded them, but you could not swap out the barrels - otherwise they were the same as the Valmets.

Savage made some combos themselves - I have one in .223 and 20 ga. - IIRC they made a combo in .30-30 and 20 ga.

I also have an M6 Scout in .410 and .22 rimfire.

I think Winchester at one time made an O/U combo too IIRC.
Savage did indeed chamber their Model 24 in .30-30 over 20ga (and I believe over 12ga as well). Carrying this versatile gun, the hunter afield is ready and well-equipped for any critter that walks our woods. Since the gun is not a tube-fed repeater, bullet selection for the ol' "thutty thutty" expands limitlessly to accommodate any application (think 165gr Nosler Partitions!). Elk medicine toot sweet. Or, go the other direction for coyotes (think 110gr Hollowpoints!).

Not a tube-fed repeater, but certainly can be classified as a repeater, since that second barrel is only a hammer sweep away. Should a monster Wapiti not loose his footing right away with the .30 caliber injection, administering a 20ga slug will convince him lead poisoning is certainly fatal.

Collectors (including myself) and hunters (including myself) are snagging up the Model 24's right and left. It is getting harder and harder to find ones in decent shape (they were guns that were used A LOT!), but they are out there at premium asking prices. Best bet is to find one that has "been around the block" but "still all there". (Cosmetic issues only.) Overhaul/refinish it to suit yourself, mount optics or peep sight if desired, attach a buttstock ammo carrier that will hold 4-5 rounds of each of the two calibers and you are set for "Grab and Go" for an all-day hunt or more.

With apologies to the breath-mint industry, "It's two! Two! Two guns in one!"

I myself have several Savage 24s. 2 30-30/20Ga, a .223/20ga, a .357mag/20ga, and the original model the Stevens .22/.410. They are wonderful guns and, even though they stopped being made in the 80's, more modern that some of the other O/U models. You can find them out there cheaper than the one you linked to and in more common calibers.

Brief History

Stevens started with the .22/.410 model rifle over shotgun combo
When Savage bought them, they renamed it the Model 24

During its production calibers ranged all over the place with 20ga and .410 being the shotgun calibers until toward the end. In the end there were some 12ga. the 24F series being where most showed up. There were some .223, .22 Hornet, and 30-30 listed over 12ga. From all my research, these were made in far few numbers that the earlier 20ga.

Rifle calibers included 22 Hornet, .222Rem, .223Rem, .30-30Win,.357 Magnum, .357 Rem Maximum, 17HMR, .& 22lr.

The Savage 2400 was made by Valmet for Savage. It was a Shotgun over rifle configuration and was only chambered in .222Rem/12ga and .308Win/12ga.

Savage had an Italian company make one labeled the Savage 389. It was shotgun over rifle in configuration. It came with 2 triggers (one for each barrel so no selector) and was chambered in .222Rem/12ga and .308Win/12ga. I think only model that had a 3 inch chamber

Also, to muddy the water, Savage took custom orders. So some employees and customers ordered combos that were not in the catalog. I think the rarest I saw was a .357Mag over .410. IIRC, it is considered a one of a kind. Also, some guys had their .222Rem bored out to .223 after .222 started falling out of favor.

There are also Deluxe models of some combos that had a Nickle receiver. The .357max one came with a pistol grip to swap onto it in place of the standard stock if you wanted to.

Yes, I am a bit obsessed..... but not as much as some others that follow these.

Some of the rarer combos can get pricy.

Last Edited:
Interesting thread. I inherited a 22lr/20ga from my grandpa a few years back. I believe it is a Savage. I've taken it out a few times to shoot clay and have often thought it would make a great "woods" gun for small game/bird/varmints...albeit it's a bit heavy.

SxS Cape Guns have been game getters for many years. I wouldn't mind having this Westley Richards 12 Gage x .500 Black Powder Express:

DNG-WR-12g-Cape-Gun-T8731-Left-Side-2.jpg

Agreed. The Savage 389 was chambered in 308win/12Ga. Good luck finding one though! I had a heck of a time looking for a 410/.22lr but they do show up from time to time. Just like the Savage 99. :). Collectors and hunters buy them up.

FWIW
I had a Savage 24F .223 / 12 ga. Had screw in choke tubes, plastic stock. Shot ok but weighed about seven tons, did not shoulder and swing to my liking. As I recall the 20ga. combo guns were much lighter and faster handling.

SxS Cape Guns have been game getters for many years. I wouldn't mind having this Westley Richards 12 Gage x .500 Black Powder Express:

View attachment 771532
Beautiful. Nothing like holding/shooting a SxS for me. I appreciate over and unders but they always somehow feel like holding a 2x4 sort of feeling for me. I like them all but just love the feeling/balance of a well made SxS, personal preference i guess and the next guy might feel the opposite which is just as valid.

Agreed. The Savage 389 was chambered in 308win/12Ga. Good luck finding one though! I had a heck of a time looking for a 410/.22lr but they do show up from time to time. Just like the Savage 99. :). Collectors and hunters buy them up.

Just like the Stevens .22/.410.. if you see it with an original wood stock .. buy it. It is Pre-war. Just be careful because later stocks can fit the older ones.

FWIW
I had a Savage 24F .223 / 12 ga. Had screw in choke tubes, plastic stock. Shot ok but weighed about seven tons, did not shoulder and swing to my liking. As I recall the 20ga. combo guns were much lighter and faster handling.

My .223/20ga is a composite stock, but does not have choke tubes. I have never fired it. I ran into it a couple years ago in box for sale. I think it has been shot, so I will eventually. I really wish they had made a .308/12ga model in the rife/shotgun. It would weigh as much as an elephant, but would be good for almost anything.

Savage did indeed chamber their Model 24 in .30-30 over 20ga (and I believe over 12ga as well). Carrying this versatile gun, the hunter afield is ready and well-equipped for any critter that walks our woods. Since the gun is not a tube-fed repeater, bullet selection for the ol' "thutty thutty" expands limitlessly to accommodate any application (think 165gr Nosler Partitions!). Elk medicine toot sweet. Or, go the other direction for coyotes (think 110gr Hollowpoints!).

Not a tube-fed repeater, but certainly can be classified as a repeater, since that second barrel is only a hammer sweep away. Should a monster Wapiti not loose his footing right away with the .30 caliber injection, administering a 20ga slug will convince him lead poisoning is certainly fatal.

Collectors (including myself) and hunters (including myself) are snagging up the Model 24's right and left. It is getting harder and harder to find ones in decent shape (they were guns that were used A LOT!), but they are out there at premium asking prices. Best bet is to find one that has "been around the block" but "still all there". (Cosmetic issues only.) Overhaul/refinish it to suit yourself, mount optics or peep sight if desired, attach a buttstock ammo carrier that will hold 4-5 rounds of each of the two calibers and you are set for "Grab and Go" for an all-day hunt or more.

With apologies to the breath-mint industry, "It's two! Two! Two guns in one!"
Only problem with the 165gr in 30-30 is getting them to expand right. That said, the Lehigh (i don't think I spelled that right) bullet offerings for 300blk have caught my interest. Might be the thing for a pointed 30-30 bullet. And yes I do have the Savage 24 in 30-30 over 20ga. Been my walk around my woods firearm during deer season for many years.

Only problem with the 165gr in 30-30 is getting them to expand right. That said, the Lehigh (i don't think I spelled that right) bullet offerings for 300blk have caught my interest. Might be the thing for a pointed 30-30 bullet. And yes I do have the Savage 24 in 30-30 over 20ga. Been my walk around my woods firearm during deer season for many years.

Partitions are more frangible in the forward section than some might think. 170 round noses (factory load) do just fine at '94 velocities. Another experiment for the back burner. For my 24 in .30-30 it is fed 150gr Ballistic Tips. Devastating.

Partitions are more frangible in the forward section than some might think. 170 round noses (factory load) do just fine at '94 velocities. Another experiment for the back burner. For my 24 in .30-30 it is fed 150gr Ballistic Tips. Devastating.

What is the heaviest 30-30 bullet you have tried out of the 24? I am just starting reloading and it is slim pickings on components around here. Naturally all the standard bullets are hard to come by. Not looking for perfection in groups, just to get something I loaded to go bang without killing me, the gun, or squibbing. So I though of using some heavier projectiles that I CAN get. The 24 should be more forgiving I assume since it is not having to cycle the ammo.

Remington used to sell Imported Baikal IZH-94 O/U combos for awhile .308/12ga 7.62x39/12ga 12/.30-06 .223 etc. even double rifle O/U and SxS. 1604510184994.png

Last Edited:
That Winchester Boar is a beauty. Curious how it generates so much more interest (12 bids so far) than the CZ Brno I linked to earlier, even though they're quite similar in price and capabilities.

That Winchester Boar is a beauty. Curious how it generates so much more interest (12 bids so far) than the CZ Brno I linked to earlier, even though they're quite similar in price and capabilities.

I gave up long ago understanding how some of that works. One item sells one day for $3000 and an identical item, maybe in better condition, sells for $500 the next day. On eBay, I attribute it to money laundering, but I do not know on GunBroker.

What is the heaviest 30-30 bullet you have tried out of the 24? I am just starting reloading and it is slim pickings on components around here. Naturally all the standard bullets are hard to come by. Not looking for perfection in groups, just to get something I loaded to go bang without killing me, the gun, or squibbing. So I though of using some heavier projectiles that I CAN get. The 24 should be more forgiving I assume since it is not having to cycle the ammo.

aforementioned factory 170's. But have not killed with that. Two deer with the 150g Ballistic Tips. Any 150 fine for deer. 125 Ballistic Tips if your deer run smaller. May result in a faster "shock kill" in the chest.

"There are also Deluxe models of some combos that had a Nickle receiver."

Silver anodized, including the trigger guard that housed a gold-plated trigger. Fox and Grouse engravings on each side of the receiver. My WMR/20 is in this configuration. Marked "24H-DL".

P3300130.JPG

Of true American manufactured Combination Guns (or "Drillings"), little known is the "Hollenbeck" produced by the Three Barrel Gun Company of Wheeling, West Virginia. (1902-1909).

This one was produced in 1905, and is of "Highest Grade". Deluxe wood, profusely engraved (including all screws). Chambered in 12ga x 12ga over .32-40 Winchester (the 6.5 Creedmoor has nothing on this cartridge for "fad mass appeal/accuracy" for its time).

Note the rifle barrel hammer is an under-lever: pushed forward to cock and engage it for firing. Also the sights are intricate and perfect for mixed-use application in the field (rear Express, front Open Window topped by bead).

The gun sold new (in 1905) for $500. We'd call that six month's wages.

PB050321.JPG

PB050329.JPG

PB050328.JPG

PB050324.JPG

Me and my wife both love combo guns, the savage 24 has so many different versions over the years you basically have your choice of options/accessories.

I was curious, what's your experience with accuracy and separate barrels vs fused barrels? If they have hangers are they adjustable?

I really want 223/12 I think it would make a great timber coyote gun and the wife wants a 22wmr/20 for small game and hiking.

Gorgeous guns guys

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads