JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this should be here or in the O.F.A. section.

Did anyone go to the carbine course that just took place? Unfortunately I couldn't get time off for it, but I want to look at it when it's on again. Any thoughts about it?

I have been to O.F.A. before and they put on a good course, but I am fairly new to carbines and am wondering how it went.

Thanks.

Peter EH!

I have taken their carbine class a couple years ago and thought it was decent. However, I have taken other classes at OFA that I was not happy with.

Typically, I just lurk around here now-a-days, but...

My experiences with OFA have always been very positive. I haven't been through their carbine class, but I've been through DH1, DH2, and Adv Defensive Handgun. The OFA crew has always been professional, patient, and IMHO highly qualified.

Last Saturday, I sent my wife down to OFA for their DH1 class. She was thoroughly impressed and happy with her experience. I wouldn't send her anywhere else.

Just my 0.02...

I took carbine a couple of years ago and really liked it. Have also done DH1 2 or 3 times and plan on doing it again next year (I like to do it with every new handgun I buy). Never had an issue, always has been a great experience.

I will recommend the Frontsite Practical Rifle course. I've been through it and was impressed.

The whole course is 4 days and includes everything from sighting your weapon to practical shooting techniques in a patrol-like situation to shooting up to 400 yards. The vast majority of the course centers on 50 yards and under. (i.e. anything you will likely ever encounter unless you want to try on the green suit.).

For practical rifle (and I've been through the USAF poopy program) it was excellent.

Last Saturday, I sent my wife down to OFA for their DH1 class. She was thoroughly impressed and happy with her experience. I wouldn't send her anywhere else.

It's always good to get a variety of perspectives.

I've got Frontsite memberships for myself and the fiancee; we just haven't had a chance to take any courses there yet. Probably in the early part of next year. She's got a LOT of basic work to do on just becoming comfortable with a pistol. She's a USAF vet so she's been exposed to the M16, but is not fully versed in rifles either.

I'm hopefuly to ge us both into a course at Frontsite in Jaunary before or after Shot Show. There's also some deal being put on in February in Vegas by one of our firearms vendorss

I plan to send us both through as many local training scenarios as we can afford with various trainers as well. You can learn something from anybody. The key to really learning to be an expert is to learn with your whole mind, not just passivley. You should be critiquing every trainer to yourself. a good way to think is, "if I were teaching this course, how would I present this material?" and it quickly becomes obvious to you when someone is BS-ing that way. Even if you weren't familiar with the material when you tsart the course, being active in this way allows you to absorb it more fully and to discard the parts that are fallacious.

I have not taken OFAs Carbine class, yet, but based on my previous experience with OFA, I would not hesitate to take it. I have taken Basic, DH1 (twice) DH2 w/low light and Glock. Zero complaints. While I have no other formal training other than OFA, I would recommend them to anyone looking for training, weather it be Pistol, Shotgun or Carbine.

That said, I would also like to try other classes/instructor/schools just to mix it up, again for the experience.

Thanks to everyone for input. I have been travelling and didn't get to reply. I was asking about OFA's course for insight in to what to expect basically. Don't want to ruin any of the challenges, but more on your thoughts.

I agree with checking out other schools/courses to see how everyone presents ideas and material. That's how we learn different ideas and tactics.

I will have to wait for vaction picks for next year to come up in a couple of months and hope I can get the time off to make it down there.

Peter EH!

Our very own "Net" is training at Thunder Ranch this week in a three day Urban Rifle/Carbine course for women only. Net is one of our Staff along with her husband Joe who has been with us for 10 years now.

Here is what Clint & Heidi said about Net and OFA on their Facebook page - totally unsolicited btw:

Annette shot great today. She is one of the lead instructors at Oregon Firearms Academy...one of the best schools in the country and we are honored to have her here on the line with us!!

NetatTR3.jpg

I've taken the carbine course at OFA. As well as the carbine course at Thunder Ranch and Larry Vickers two day carbine course. I gotta say that the carbine course at OFA can't be beat. The level of instruction is great and there is a high instructor to student ratio. Not just one person running everyone through drills. Even after four years in the Marine Corps infantry, I learned a lot! Anyone with a carbine should take this course!

I've haven't been thru their carbine class, but having been thru numerous handgun classes with other instructors and then going to OFA...I gotta say OFA rates right up there.

So I can't see where the carbine class would fall short.

I've attended the shotgun course at OFA, a carbine course with Larry Vickers, a practical rifle course with Randy Cain, and a handgun class at Thunder Ranch. I would not hesitate to attend another OFA course. I think their instructors stack up well. I plan on convincing my father to take a DHI course there this next year...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top