JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long article in the NYT on people with mental illness reclaiming their gun rights in court, with very little oversight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/us/03guns.html

On one hand I don't want to see 2A rights restricted. On the other hand, I know from personal exposure to mentally ill people how dangerous they can be. Should they just be able to get a note from their GP, appear in small claims court and get their guns back?

In the end I guess you can't save people from themselves, guns or no guns.

While I can't speak to how well the system in NY works, I will say I think there needs to be a system available. Not everyone is the same their whole life. The same goes for felons. Surely they should lose their gun access, but if after a certain time of paying dues, flying right, etc. they want to vote and shoot, there should be a process for that. The details will be a mess of course.

Kind of a "hatchet job" on gun rights if you ask me! Blaming the NRA for allowing people to get their rights back and glossing over the loss of gun ownership for our veterans for merely saying they were troubled by stress.

Also there are many many different kinds of metal illness. Not all are violent or dangerous to others.

Well.... I had a girl friend, she was manic-depressive and in and out of mental institutions. I bought a pistol and took her shooting. She was good enough that the RO at English pit wanted her to compete. When we broke up she told her Dr. she was going to kill me. The Dr. broke patient confidentiality to warn me and tell me where to go to retrieve my gun. At that point I got my WA CPL, which I still have today even though it has been over 25 years.

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Also there are many many different kinds of metal illness. Not all are violent or dangerous to others.

This. As a mental health worker myself, most individuals with mental illness are not violent. I know individuals with mental illness, schizophrenia, and drug and alcohol issues freak out the normies but "looking freaky" and being dangerous are not synonymous.

The Dr. broke patient confidentiality to warn me

He didn't break confidentiality. If the mental health worker believes that a client will either harm themselves or another they are mandated to report it. Health care confidentiality is not like legal confidentiality (like with a lawyer). As a mandatory reporter I have to report: child abuse (any kind), suspected child abuse (third party witness tells me about child abuse), neglect, self-harm (if the individual is a minor or not able to care for themselves), and threats of violence against others, to name a few.

The latter is usually at the discretion of the clinician. Saying you're going to kill someone just off the cuff doesn't generate an automatic report, the clinician would use their best judgement as to whether this was a real threat or just someone blowing off steam or being dramatic. It's very similar to a suicide assessment: do you have a plan? do you have a weapon? when did you intend to do it? etc.

Not all mental illnesses are the same also Bill Clinton used executive order to remove the 2nd Amendment rights of over 80,000 Vets, who for VA reason where mentally ill. That standard is not the same as and actually below that which is legally required in the court. Those veterans lost those rights with out due process. GW signed a bill about 8 years later, supposedly reversing that executive order.

The ant-gun nuts have found out mental health issues is a easy way to prohibit gun ownership, such as domestic fighting.

People who read the New York Times should contact their mental health provider for immediate assistance. I detest that paper. It has become so vile I would not let my dog pee on it.
But, you must know your enemy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads