JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you're misunderstanding me. I want to receive e-mails alerting me to new posts on topics to which I've subscribed, but I want those e-mails to include the text of the latest reply in the body of the e-mail. Right now I have to click the link in the e-mail and go to the site to see the new reply.

I like the look of the interface. For me, the biggest problem I have on any forum is not posting or putting up photos (I do prefer to be able to upload them from my computer, not link them from a separate site like Photobucket) is searching the forum. Sometimes I may want to look up comments or posts by a particular user, or maybe I want to find a certain type of firearm for sale in my state only, without including posts about that type of firearm. I find that, particularly with the advanced search functions, that they can be difficult to navigate and don't always allow the kind of search filtering that I would like. Searching withing a particular thread or forum, for example, even while in that particular thread or forum would be really nice. If I am in a thread that's fairly long, it would be nice to have a search window available that will search just that thread.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Looks good otherwise.

That is a nicely done website, Joe. I had to join, via my MacBookPro, because my iPad Mini could not confirm I was a human, ;)

And I have yet to add TapaTalk to my Apps.

Now,
I thought California was absorbed by Mexico in the 70-80's and is now New North Mexico.

That is true, save for the extreme Northern Section, which I have at times called Baja Oregon ;) If that didn't sink in real fast, give it a moment or two.

When I moved Out of NORTHERN California, to Oregon, I was embarassed to state my prior location, invariably, a Kalifornian, would ask me (about Northern CA) like this: "you mean, San Jose"? Dude, that is Central California. Most folks think LaLa Land ~is~ Kalifornia.... And do not know about the North, where their Electricity, and half their water comes from.

In fact, that is the reason California has voted 27 times to Not Split the State, into two states, N. CA & S. CA The water rights.

philip,
In the Boondocks, sorry about the Geography lesson. I will now go to the Blackboard, and write out, "I am a ~Bad Boy~ for talking about Kalifornia", 500 times ... I did that in my Fourth Grade Class, for saying the word Republican.... ;)

Noted :)

Yeah, I really love this place. No worries about the gf, it was time for me to marry her or break up.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your dislike for the XenForo platform. The bubbly stuff is the stock style, and I've found it's much more user friendly.

Yep, and only a few people knew about it. I'm now ready to start promoting it ;)

I thought you had a login, but I can't find it.

I tend to go back and fix my typos, but noticed that there was no edit option after a day or so from tapatalk.
Is that part of the new site. Some forums limit edit time I know, or just something to switch on or off?

Joe..Please just keep this site a free speech zone, it is much appreciated, NWF is currently far superior to the other gun forums you've mentioned

......Even has a gun chick, Anna.
She knows a lot about us know-it-alls!

It has a gun chick........cool.

Seriously Joe it looks good. I had a chance to play around over there for a bit and I think you have a winner. But since I don't see colors to well its going to take a bit of getting used to when NWFA migrates over. But not to worry I will make it work. I like it though. Seems a bit more user friendly than NWFA, not that NWFA was not user friendly. :s0155:

Software update sounds fine. But I hope you don't change the whole layout, function, and color scheme to fruity pastels. I don't think you need to basically re-brand the site every time you update. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

vBulletin has been like Microsoft Windows over the years.

I can remember as well when it started out clean. Simple, and easy to use/maintain.

Now it's so bloated... time for some quality software over "can do everything but not perfect".

Will take a few to adjust but in the end quality is always greater.

Joe! The new platform looks great!
The only thing that isn't absolutely perfect is photo uploading (not even sure if this is a bug, but...)

When you go to upload a photo (which is great btw), it asks if you want a thumbnail or a full image (awesome). Then once you hit submit, this is the code that displays the image:

Now, I am assuming that the three images I uploaded on my test post are given by those numbers there. Meaning that, at the time of my post, there had been 53 images uploaded (total) on the entire forum.

If I go change 51 in the code to 49 (for example), it shows me someone else's photo! (Some dude with his dog on a harley).

Doesn't that seem a bit wide open, privacy wise? Or is that intentional?

Just thought I should let you know!

Looks great!
Dan

First, thanks for all the comments. I'll reply to the ones I can speak on.

SWFA site thoughts
Inital page interface is a bit cartoonish.
Crating posy and uploading pics works well.
Ammunition and Reloading need to be diffferent sections in maintenance and repair.
Pics seem easy to upload.
nothing on the site really wows me as far as features go.
Is it customizable for each user for interfaces?
Are the add-ins all foing to be avialable for use?
Well we have, unlike now, a realiable platform that does not continuoesly logged us out when we leave the site when we have selected keep my logged in. I never know if I am going to be logged in or not.

Ok enough time lost must read items of value.

- The color scheme and the bubbly/cartoon feel are both functions of what is called the 'theme', which will be customized to be as close to looking like this site as possible.
- I will tweak the categories to copy what we have here.
- I'm not sure what you mean by customizable interfaces for each user.
- I haven't found any that aren't available for the new software, though I'll have to have a developer re-write the bump limit software.
- The way the new software handles cookies (which controls whether you're logged in or out) is much better, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed today that the uploaded photos aren't viewable on Tapatalk; instead there's a link to click that takes you to the webpage, except the photos won't load up unless you're logged in to SWFA on the webpage. So that's fairly inconvenient.

I'll check that out. I'm going to make it so you don't have to be logged in to view a full size image and enable avatars for everyone (SV or not).

On SWFA it would be nice if the number of pages in a particular thread was viewable without hovering the mouse over that thread link.

One bug on this site (NWFA) that has never been fixed is the need to press the "back" button several times to go back one page after reading a thread. I think it's related to the ads since the drop down on the "back" button shows "googleleads doubleclick". Very annoying. Hope the new software fixes that one.

I'll take a look at both of these things.

It looks very bright to me. And I got a big screen to be able to put more content on, not more fillers like extra wide round bubbly things. :)

See above regarding the theme.

That was my Model 11 and I pulled down the photo links after it sold ....... Sorry ...

Hey Joe, when ya gonna' "squeeze" Oklahoma in there ???? ......... ;)

Yep, regarding the X'd images, they're old.

We'll see Randy :p

Not sure if someone already stated this, but I noticed on SWFA that you cant isolate states when your searching thru the classifieds....I like being able to weed out all the Was.hington and Idaho folks when searching

This will be implemented as it is here, just hasn't been done yet.

I think the underlying platform isn't going to be an issue for the most part.

What people will notice right away are the aesthetics.

For example, I'm a big fan of the color scheme on this forum. We have several different shades of gray, black, white, red...colors that are masculine.

When I visit Southwest Firearms, I see baby blue, peach, orange, teal, and a whole lot of white space. All the white gives the forum a very flat look. Fonts are different and font sizes are larger. I know that each forum should have a unique theme, but I'm hoping Northwest Firearms will keep as much of it's style as possible in the switch. I'll stick with the forum regardless, because it's a great online community.

See above about the theme.

One thing that drives me up the wall about some other forums (and SWFA apparently does this too) is that the e-mails alerting me to a new post on a topic to which I've subscribed don't include the text of the new post. It's annoying, like a teaser at the start of a news program or a website that lists a really cool product but doesn't list a price.

"Click here for more information" is not the way to run a forum IMHO.

The reason this is done is so people have to visit the site, then hopefully stay to read more. I believe this is something I can change, but I'm not sure what it'd take.

I like the look of the interface. For me, the biggest problem I have on any forum is not posting or putting up photos (I do prefer to be able to upload them from my computer, not link them from a separate site like Photobucket) is searching the forum. Sometimes I may want to look up comments or posts by a particular user, or maybe I want to find a certain type of firearm for sale in my state only, without including posts about that type of firearm. I find that, particularly with the advanced search functions, that they can be difficult to navigate and don't always allow the kind of search filtering that I would like. Searching withing a particular thread or forum, for example, even while in that particular thread or forum would be really nice. If I am in a thread that's fairly long, it would be nice to have a search window available that will search just that thread.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Looks good otherwise.

I'm hoping to implement more advanced search features on the new site. I'm not sure what limitations we have, but I'll find out.

That is a nicely done website, Joe. I had to join, via my MacBookPro, because my iPad Mini could not confirm I was a human, ;)

And I have yet to add TapaTalk to my Apps.

Interesting, I was able to slide the slider on my iPhone. Anyone else have trouble with the registration slider? I figured it'd be a lot easier than entering random letters and numbers, or even answering questions.

I tend to go back and fix my typos, but noticed that there was no edit option after a day or so from tapatalk.
Is that part of the new site. Some forums limit edit time I know, or just something to switch on or off?

I think it is, I'll check.

Software update sounds fine. But I hope you don't change the whole layout, function, and color scheme to fruity pastels. I don't think you need to basically re-brand the site every time you update. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

See above about the theme. It'll be as close to this site as possible, but easier to use.

vBulletin has been like Microsoft Windows over the years.

I can remember as well when it started out clean. Simple, and easy to use/maintain.

Now it's so bloated... time for some quality software over "can do everything but not perfect".

Will take a few to adjust but in the end quality is always greater.

My thoughts exactly! vBulletin software is so overly bloated and poorly written that it literally uses almost twice the resources as the new platform.

Tapatalk (latest version) stopped working on NWFA today. Just me?

Looking into this tonight.

Joe! The new platform looks great!
The only thing that isn't absolutely perfect is photo uploading (not even sure if this is a bug, but...)

When you go to upload a photo (which is great btw), it asks if you want a thumbnail or a full image (awesome). Then once you hit submit, this is the code that displays the image:

Now, I am assuming that the three images I uploaded on my test post are given by those numbers there. Meaning that, at the time of my post, there had been 53 images uploaded (total) on the entire forum.

If I go change 51 in the code to 49 (for example), it shows me someone else's photo! (Some dude with his dog on a harley).

Doesn't that seem a bit wide open, privacy wise? Or is that intentional?

Just thought I should let you know!

Looks great!
Dan

Thanks for the heads up Dan. As long as the attachments are posted on the forum for all to see (and not private) this is something you're able to do. Owners can hide or delete their photos.

This may seem kinda selfish, but are "likes" and sellar's ratings going to be transferred too?

Not selfish at all! Ratings definitely will, I'll check on the likes.

I belong to varied forums and some people get overboard on changes.

PLEASE REMEMBER !

Not everyone is tech savvy or a quick learner. I know people on here that are well into their grey years and took them time to learn how to use the site. I hate when site owners go all liberal and start repainting the house when the paint job was fine before.
Software fixes to make it easy are great, but I wont be a happy guy if you reinvent the freekin wheel. Bunny said it best.

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT !

And remember not everyone is going to want to rejoin up or even try and learn new sheeeeet!
I am hopeful you will be sensitive to all members not just the ones that are tech and forum savvy.

The site still has a feel of the wild west, please don't make us wear Birkenstocks, listen to CCR and join green peace.

I am working with a site owner right now who is all gung ho putting flash and stuff on his site, having one hell of a time telling this 25 year old site owner that big and pretty is not what people want. Gun guys want sites like we like our guns we want functional and easy and effective.
Fluff is for for selling sneakers and purses. !

My focus is always on the end user. My father is one of the most computer technologically impaired people I've ever met, so I keep him in the back of my mind with any changes I make. I actually use him for QA testing from time to time when implementing new features or writing how-to's :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top