Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NWFA Server Upgrade Status & Donations

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

As all of you who use this site undoubtedly know, every month this site grows slower and slower. Fact is, we've outgrown our current server and need to migrate to a faster platform. I've been working tirelessly to try to optimize the site as best I can (and it's actually very efficient) but there comes a point when the load is just too great. We've reached that point, and now our only option is to upgrade.

The server we'll be upgrading to is extremely fast, but also very expensive. Though I have a small amount of funds in the NWFA account, they're not enough to cover the cost of setup and the additional monthly costs. The cost of the new server is literally three times that of our current server. In addition to that, our vBulletin license is almost expired so we need to renew it. In all, we're looking at over $1,000 in expenses in the next month or two.

Because of our dire need, I'm asking those of you who use this site regularly to consider donating based on what you feel this site is worth to you in order to help us upgrade the server as soon as possible. I'll be putting up a donation bar on the main forum page to show everyone how close we are to reaching our goal. As soon as we reach our goal I'll begin the migration :thumbup:

Once again, I want to thank all of you who have already donated. I also want to thank our advertisers and supporting vendors, and encourage all of you to use them first for any of your firearm needs. Without our supporters this site would not exist.

Anything we collect beyond the $975 will go into the NWFA savings to pay for the future hosting costs of the site.

============= Update 7-3-2010 @ 7:36pm ============

WE DID IT!

Thank you so much everyone for making this happen, and in only 3 1/2 hours at that!! I'm so excited I wish the Paypal transfer were instant so I could get started with the migration! Unfortunately I'll have to wait until the funds are deposited into my bank account to get the ball rolling, but at least they're on the way :)

I won't be modifying the goal, since I only want to use this for when the site *really* needs help, but I will leave the bar up there for a couple days and let it continue counting donations to cover the monthly hosting expenses (almost $300/mo) if people want to continue contributing.

Thanks again everyone, and get ready for NWFA Turbo!

2. Will

Will Everett Active Member

I'm in! This is a great forum and I'm happy to donate to keep it running smooth. It took seconds to make a donation and as quick to see the silver status show on my name bar. Thank all for making this a great forum.

Will

3. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Ya what he ^^^^ said

4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thank you guys so much. In 40 minutes we've raised $320! At this rate it looks like we may be upgrading this weekend!

Don't forget, along with these donations come the Supporting Membership perks :)

5. Sawz

Sawz Aurora OR. Member

I'm in too. I have noticed the burden on the server.I have enjoyed this site and have received more from this site than I can give, but am happy to do what I can to support the community. Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

6. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

count me in too....how do we pay?

7. BigNickShooting

BigNickShooting Centralia, WA Active Member

how can we donate?

8. BigNickShooting

BigNickShooting Centralia, WA Active Member

I wanna donate $200 but I don't know how?

9. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Made a donation via the "support NWFA Community" at top of page. I had already donated as far as renewing my previous subscription just last month but donated again through the same format. Hope that works okay....?

10. Joe Link

Guys, I can't believe this, thank you so much for your help and support. The paypal transfer takes 3-4 business days, so by my guess the migration will happen sometime within the next week!

You can donate by clicking on Support The NWFA Community link on the upper right of the page, or by clicking here.

11. Joe Link

Yep! If you already have a Supporting Membership you can either choose another level, in which case you'll have two Supporting Memberships, or you can choose the same one you already have and it will extend it by an additional year :thumbup:

12. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I just renewed my membership yesterday for the year, lets see what else I can do.

13. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Best I can do, I dont have a bussness to be a vendor...........:laugh::dunno:

14. Joe Link

Hahaha thank you deadeye! Not many '4 star generals' running around here ;)

15. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

This is impressive by any standard! Kudos to the members!

16. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Congrats to the new four-star!! :thumbup:

Too bad money is tight right now or I'd pitch in more. :(

17. Will

Will Everett Active Member

I added a Bronze membership to put it over the top, bought a silver earlier . Consider extending the goal ammount to the drive for the future growth.

18. Joe Link

Thank you so much everyone for making this happen, and in only 3 1/2 hours at that!! I'm so excited I wish the Paypal transfer were instant so I could get started with the migration! Unfortunately I'll have to wait until the funds are deposited into my bank account to get the ball rolling, but at least they're on the way :)

I won't be modifying the goal, since I only want to use this for when the site *really* needs help, but I will leave the bar up there for a couple days and let it continue counting donations to cover the monthly hosting expenses (almost $300/mo) if people want to continue contributing.

Thanks again everyone, and get ready for NWFA Turbo!

19. CJ49er

CJ49er Lake Oswego Member

its nice to see that goal number go off the charts:thumbup:

20. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

Are you still accepting additional donations ???