JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dont know if this has already been talked about before, but I was thinking about it and thought Id write a thread to find out.

Could we set up a NWFA Swap Meet/Gun Show, members only, maybe charge 4-5 bucks to get in to help pay for things, and let everyone bring their firearms, ammo, and parts and stuff for sale or trade? Let me know what you think, or if this is a silly idea. Thanks, Rick

Isn't there a (stupid) OR law that you have to do the permission slip from the state or the equivilent if you have more than 10 firearms for sale or trade in one location?

Yeah I think there is a law like that, but I think if you classify it as a collectors meeting?, then you can get around it. I know of a gun show that does something like that.

Couldn't we have an existing gun-shop host something like this? If coctailer did it, he could even do the transfers for us (b/c gunshows require background checks), and have a good amount of his stuff available.

Sort of like a tupperware party where everyone brings tupperware.

Well, there is a gun show I know of.......that happens the last sunday of every month.....dont know how "private" its suppose to be, so I wont go into detail....(I found out through a friend) but they dodge the rule of having to have approval of an actual "gun show" I believe because they bring guns to "display". And if gun deals happen during the show, then its between two private parties(if the seller dosent have a FFL) and there is no need for background checks. I know Ive seen it that way there. So why couldnt we do something similar on some annual basis??

If one of the mods wants to PM me, I'll give the info on the gun show Im talking about(if they dont know already) and maybe we can figure this thing out!

The way that they sanction it or whatever, it is perfectly within the law. I know its legal, if not only for its location.......I also believe there may be some law enforcement who attend.

But its doesnt really matter much, if there is no interest by the site owner and mods. I will give them the down low on this gun show, if its of interest.

If the site owner reads this (Joey Link?) and needs any help getting this going, Id be more than willing to lend a hand in making it happen. I think it would be pretty cool.

Why not just go to the existing (legal) gun shows in OR and WA? I have lived in many parts of the US in my life, and believe me, the laws in OR and WA are plenty gun friendly you don't need to go trying to skirt them or do something furtive.

If the whole idea is to get a good deal, then just realize the free market charges what it does and sell/shop here or at a show?

Existing gun shows are just fine, and I agree with Oro that our NW laws are pretty gun friendly, but the idea of a "show" or "meeting" or whatever, just for NWFA posters/members sounds kinda cool. I'd be there.

Why not just go to the existing (legal) gun shows in OR and WA? I have lived in many parts of the US in my life, and believe me, the laws in OR and WA are plenty gun friendly you don't need to go trying to skirt them or do something furtive.

If the whole idea is to get a good deal, then just realize the free market charges what it does and sell/shop here or at a show?

Look when I was describing the gun show in my earlier posts, I didnt mean to make the show sound illegal. Its not. There is nothing shady about it whatsoever. The gun shows location pretty much ensures that its legal. Its on federally owned property, in the middle of Portland. All I was saying is, that however they do their show, they classify it as something different than a "gun show" and they are able to avoid all the BS surrounding that, but yet they are still able to buy sell and trade firearms there with no B checks between private parties.

And yeah, lets still all go to our regular gun shows, but I thought it would be cool to have a NWFA members show, where everyone could get to meet eveyone else, and be able to display all the guns, ammo, and parts they see here on the forum. It would also give the site owner a chance to sell some NWFA gear, and maybe pick up a few more paid site supporters. Who knows, depending on how expensive the location was to rent for a weekend, the site owner may even make some profit from the whole thing. Just an idea.

Keep sounding off and giving your opinions and maybe we'll get the attention of the PTB here at NWFA!

Do you mean the show in North Portland that takes place at the national guard building?

I got the impression you were describing something much more nefarious.

This is a great idea, anytime our hobby is expanded out of the home and into the public light it's a win for us. Given proper nurturing this could grow into a good opportunity for someone that wanted to grow it into a business.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top