JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Within the last 12 hrs I've had two incidents of my security software detecting
and quarantining trojan spyware while on NWFA. Anybody else had this happen?

Yup, I came to the site a couple times late last week and both times I got an alert from my security software. Happened again this morning.

The site runs on advertising and part of that process includes softwares that track your browsing behaviors. In this sense you can call them spyware but almost all sites have these sorts of software. Google does this too but you just dont notice. Try searching "golf" or "electronics" on google then come back to this site. The biggest banner up top will have something to do with what you recently searched for on google...OR big brother is out to get you so break out that old tin foil hat to fight off their mind control

The site runs on advertising and part of that process includes softwares that track your browsing behaviors. In this sense you can call them spyware but almost all sites have these sorts of software. Google does this too but you just dont notice. Try searching "golf" or "electronics" on google then come back to this site. The biggest banner up top will have something to do with what you recently searched for on google...OR big brother is out to get you so break out that old tin foil hat to fight off their mind control

Google and my web host have both said this is what it is, and we've run several full site scans. However, I still don't like this. I'm going to take down the Adsense ad and use a bit of our reserve money to cover expenses until I can get a couple advertisers to purchase ads for that space.

Please let me know if you guys see anything like this again once you stop seeing the adsense ads (the medium ad next to Threat Dynamics).

WOW,
Joe I have to say that is honestly incredible and shows just how much you care about this community. You have quit your paying job recently to support this site and now are dropping site income due to patron issues with some ads causing spyware alerts..

Hats off and my sincere At a Boy, I wish more site owners were as dedicated and caring of thier viewers as you are, I hope you find suitable advertisers soon.

Just did it 2 more times. Within seconds of clicking on NWFA I get a security alert from Windows Security Essentials.

Both times it's the same bug Trojanspy:win32/ursnif.gen1K

Were the Google ads displaying?

If anyone else has any information please PM me. It's possible the spyware was there prior and the warning will only come up when visiting a website with a web-based login, but I'm still looking into this.

I run a couple different programs and get nothing when I come here. All is good.

That's exactly what I'm getting, and I've run every scanner I can find. Not saying there absolutely isn't a problem somewhere. If there is I want to get ahead of it so I can keep our members safe.

I run Safari with its extension called Ghostery installed and activated. Ghostery blocks all third party cookies, which are 99% advertising cookies. In addition, I have my privacy settings set to "Block third party cookies", which is a native setting in the Safari preferences menu. Ghostery also reports the cookies it blocks in the upper right hand corner of my screen, so I can see what's going on. Spam emails have decreased dramatically since I installed Ghostery. I don't know if there is a version for Windows. I suspect there is.

Here's a good read:

HTTP cookie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advertising companies use third-party cookies to track a user across multiple sites. In particular, an advertising company can track a user across all pages where it has placed advertising images or web bugs. Knowledge of the pages visited by a user allows the advertising company to target advertisements to the user's presumed preferences.

I run Norton 360 V 6.0 and Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2012 as a secondary program and i have not had any issues here, but i do run quick scans and file cleanup between sites i visit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top