JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I just want some feedback on a deal gone bad. A pistol was up for sale last night, I was first to post accepting it and I PMed him accepting it. I had cash in hand and called him first and set up a meeting to buy it.

Well, unfortunately for me, someone called after me and told him he would come by with cash that night. I told him I would meet at his convenience. If I had any idea that the guy would sell to anyone who showed at his door, I would have left immediately.

So, here is the question. Is it appropriate to call someone from the classifieds if you are not the first poster to try and make a deal? Once someone says, "I'll take it", does that constitute a deal of some kind that should be respected by NWFA members, or it it ok to try to make a side deal with the seller?

I don't have any evidence that the guy sold it to a NWFA member because it was listed on another site, but I just want to know the acceptable standards here.

Anyhoo, I am sure that I could have done things better and next time I will do things differently, but I could use some feedback.

Even when posting on multiple boards (which I and many others do) the first person to post/call/email with "I'll take it" get's first dibs. I've been in the situation once before where I had 2 people post within a few minutes of each other. I explained the situation to the 2nd party to respond and they were very accepting of it.

I don't think it's very good business practice and warrants a negative trade rating if one person says I'll take it but isn't given the opportunity to purchase first.

I sell a lot of motorcycle parts and money talks. I can't tell you how many "I'll take it" posters are never heard from again. Seems like the gun crowd is a little more responsible but in the end if you don't put a cash deposit down I would consider the item still for sale.

Sounds like you did set a time to get the deal done so he should have atleast given you the chance to do it immediately before selling to somebody else.

Seems to me that you had an "electronic hand-shake" and that ethically the seller should have followed the terms of your agreement until you either bought the gun or broke the agreement terms.

Make sure to give the guy an appropriate rating for his ethical misconduct. I believe it is up to the seller as much as it is up to the buyer to respect an agreement.

I sell alot of saltwater aquarium stuff and live coral on another forum and I get people saying they will come right, away never to show up. I give them a day or so to respond and if no response then the item is back up for grabs.

I appreciate the input guys.

Is it appropriate to call someone from the classifieds if you are not the first poster to try and make a deal?

I actually just had this situation with some dirtbike wheels. Posted and got two "I'll take it" replys so I start working out the details with guy #1. In the mean time I get a call from a local guy that wants to pick them up ASAP. I told him that he was #3 in line but I would get back to him. Short story is that guy #1 and #2 flaked so I called guy #3 back hoping he was still looking. He had already bought some on ebay so I was left without a sale.

If people would actually honor their word I would have no problem holding something for a few days but I stick with cash in my hand now.

Yeah that is unfortunate. I don't mind if people have the first cash here wins, but make it known that you are planning on welching on our deal at the first sight of cash. That is the travesty of this situation. I had cash, I had the time, I just didn't know that this sale was like Walmart on Black Friday.

I appreciate the input guys.

Is it appropriate to call someone from the classifieds if you are not the first poster to try and make a deal?

it most certainly is appropriate to call even if you aren't the first one. How many times do you see someone say "I'll take it!" then the very next post is "still for sale".

If you want to buy something call and let the seller personally tell you no. Until you hear no it's still fair game.

I actually just had this situation with some dirtbike wheels. Posted and got two "I'll take it" replys so I start working out the details with guy #1. In the mean time I get a call from a local guy that wants to pick them up ASAP. I told him that he was #3 in line but I would get back to him. Short story is that guy #1 and #2 flaked so I called guy #3 back hoping he was still looking. He had already bought some on ebay so I was left without a sale.

If people would actually honor their word I would have no problem holding something for a few days but I stick with cash in my hand now.

That's fine as long as you let it be known "first come first serve," but if you make a deal with someone, then sell it out from under them because someone has cash in hand, or a better offer comes along, then "you are not honoring your word"..

So if I call and he says that he has a buyer lined up, is it ok to offer more than the asking price to entice the seller to sell to you?
Well, if the seller has already struck a deal with someone else, that would speak volumes about the integrity of both the buyer and the seller, depending on the outcome........

Ya, that is disappointing. I had a deal today with the same seller. (Not the gun you wanted MarkSBG)

I was the first to post, first to call and accept, and the seller was worried about me flaking out and said if someone shows up before with cash, he will need to sell it.

I said "I'd like for you to give me till 10:00AM tomorrow to get there with cash. I am totally committed to buying it"

He said "OK"

Here is the thing..............Everyone saw me post. Everyone saw that I called and set up to meet the guy with cash,(I posted that in the thread as well) yet the guys phone was still exploding with people calling in offers to buy out from under me.

I guess part of the blame goes to the buyer, who deliberately took cuts in front of you knowing full well you were first in line.

Had the guy even breathed that he would sell it to the first guy with money, I would have scheduled for an immediate meeting. I had the cash in hand and lived in the same city as him...

Oh well... live and learn... It just depresses me that the 1st commitment system here goes to pot the instant people have the ability to jump the line.

Had the guy even breathed that he would sell it to the first guy with money, I would have scheduled for an immediate meeting. I had the cash in hand and lived in the same city as him...

Oh well... live and learn... It just depresses me that the 1st commitment system here goes to pot the instant people have the ability to jump the line.

You're right. I lost out on a deal here before the exact same way.

I said in another thread that the first person to actually post in the thread "I'll take it" should get it.

Seems like most of the members didn't like that idea.

Some said the first to PM the seller gets it, some said the first to call gets it.

I like keeping the transactions out in the open for all to see in the thread.

That would cut down on all the sneaky behind the scenes action, and PM bidding.

One way to avoid this is to schedule multiple people to come by at the same time. I've done this when selling a few of my motorcycles. That way you have a better chance of at least one person showing, and then if it's worth more to one of the buyers they can take it with them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top