JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
I'd like to know if I'm out of line ?

If someone commits to selling or buying something than backs out or just ghost's "you".
to me that's good reason to leave negative feedback correct ?

Am I out of line by feeling others should know how these individuals have conducted/lack of business via negative feedback ?

Seems to me once a deal has been made via NWFA the seller should mark the ad "SPF" (sold pending funds)
Might be a good idea to make this a requirement ... ?

It is hard to get people to buy on this site as it is, let alone the fear of negative feedback.. :(

Being spread out over 4 states is not conducive to commerce when some items have to be sold/bought face to face. I would LOVE to buy some of the powder or ammo I see on here. But I'm not driving to Portland to get it. The same for a firearm. A nice, reasonably priced rifle is no longer reasonably priced if I have to drive to Bend to do the transaction.
Another example is the guy that lives in the middle of absolutely NOWHERE, and has some really obscure item that he won't ship. The odds of anyone else in middle of absolutely NOWHERE wanting said obscure item are slim to none.
I have had several successful deals on here, but the logistics don't always favor completion in many cases.

Upvote 0
Absolutely. You relied on the contract in turning down a different desirable deal because the funds were committed to the original deal.

"seller accepted his offer price, but the other does not believe there is a committed deal in place"

Seller offered an item for sale. Buyer proposed a price and seller accepted. That's the legal definition of a contract. In court you must prove the elements of the contract, so it's much easier to prevail with a written contract, but a verbal contract is still binding if you can show that it existed (testimony, messages, emails, etc.) to the court's satisfaction.

In fact, for most firearms sales, you could sue for specific performance, meaning that the seller must provide the exact firearm that you contracted for. If he sold it to someone else he would have to buy it back so he could sell it to you at the agreed upon price. This would probably come up with a collector's item.

These are pretty much the legal standards for a sales contract. They represent the minimum ethical standards for everyday people buying and selling. A truly ethical buyer or seller may go way beyond those minimums in treating others ethically.

Thank you, that confirms my understanding of how contract law works as well.

Upvote 0
Hey, guys, consider NOT leaving negative feedback even if you are "stood up", and communication stops......completely.. Life happens, and sometimes people do get into accidents or have unforeseen medical emergencies or other life changing circumstances. Consider being kind instead, regardless of the inconvenience and reach out to them out of concern to find out if they're ok.

You may be asking me by now if I've given this a try when stood up......yeah, I did......waited for a good while with no communication at all, later to find out the individual actually wound up in the hospital unexpectedly for a few days.

I survived, and thank goodness he did too. Wanna know what happened after his release from the hospital? We went about our business, completed the transaction and we have been good friends ever since.

It'a true, life just ain't fair at times. But we sure can be.
Y'all take care now! :)

Good to keep in mind!

Also good to keep in mind: you can change feedback you leave, at least for several days after. I'm not sure if there is a time limit, but I personally have changed mine a few days after I left it.

Upvote 0
There is no such thing as contract law on this forum. NOTHING on this forum is official in any capacity. This is local classified where everyone has to go to a FFL to exchange nationally regulated arms. The ONLY law that applies in this community/website is following law when exchanging items regulated by the ATF. The only part the ATF regulates (ex. Firearm) has nothing to do with the 15 people that flaked out before you gave it to the criminal. That is the ONLY thing official in this forum. As someone said before me, this is just a bunch of people that are trading and selling stuff. This is why sellers require deposits for various things, that way you have something on the line to lose. I have been in several career fields where someone left a deposit and never saw them again. It's just what happens, because they hold the right to back out at any point in time for whatever reason. People get ghosted all the time, I doubt anyone has never had to deal with being "ghosted" or a "no-show". I have backed out with several people using proper communication, apologizing for wasting there time and I have been face a with various reactions. A big thing that drives people to ghost, they changed their mind about the deal and have fear of how the other person will react. Unfortunately I understand this. I have had people that have blown up on me. You can refer to my negative review on my profile. To enlighten you, me and a guy made a deal and later that day I backed out. Our deal wasn't supposed to take place for 2 days. I simply changed my mind. I let him know I apologized for wasting his time, and all I got in return was nasty abusive name calling. Kind of makes me wish I would have just ghosted him because it's better then feeling obligated to go through with a deal simply because I didn't want to piss him off. He was nothing invested in it other than locking his ad. Which as we all know can easily be unlocked. I've backed out of deals simply because the buyer was being very rude. People like this almost turn me away from this community. However, I have made several friends in this community as well. Always remember, this is an unofficial community/thread/whatever you want to call it. The only part that applies to the law, is if the buyer is allowed to own such item. Other than that stop getting so Invested in word of mouth. If you want to invest your time into a deal, that falls to you. You also hold the right to back out at any point in time, for any reason you like. I have been on both sides. I have taken time off to buy a product, "flaked on" as some of you might put it. You know what I did? Went and had breakfast with my kids. Its called flexibility.

Upvote 0
There is no such thing as contract law on this forum. NOTHING on this forum is official in any capacity. This is local classified where everyone has to go to a FFL to exchange nationally regulated arms. The ONLY law that applies in this community/website is following law when exchanging items regulated by the ATF. The only part the ATF regulates (ex. Firearm) has nothing to do with the 15 people that flaked out before you gave it to the criminal. That is the ONLY thing official in this forum. As someone said before me, this is just a bunch of people that are trading and selling stuff. This is why sellers require deposits for various things, that way you have something on the line to lose. I have been in several career fields where someone left a deposit and never saw them again. It's just what happens, because they hold the right to back out at any point in time for whatever reason. People get ghosted all the time, I doubt anyone has never had to deal with being "ghosted" or a "no-show". I have backed out with several people using proper communication, apologizing for wasting there time and I have been face a with various reactions. A big thing that drives people to ghost, they changed their mind about the deal and have fear of how the other person will react. Unfortunately I understand this. I have had people that have blown up on me. You can refer to my negative review on my profile. To enlighten you, me and a guy made a deal and later that day I backed out. Our deal wasn't supposed to take place for 2 days. I simply changed my mind. I let him know I apologized for wasting his time, and all I got in return was nasty abusive name calling. Kind of makes me wish I would have just ghosted him because it's better then feeling obligated to go through with a deal simply because I didn't want to piss him off. He was nothing invested in it other than locking his ad. Which as we all know can easily be unlocked. I've backed out of deals simply because the buyer was being very rude. People like this almost turn me away from this community. However, I have made several friends in this community as well. Always remember, this is an unofficial community/thread/whatever you want to call it. The only part that applies to the law, is if the buyer is allowed to own such item. Other than that stop getting so Invested in word of mouth. If you want to invest your time into a deal, that falls to you. You also hold the right to back out at any point in time, for any reason you like. I have been on both sides. I have taken time off to buy a product, "flaked on" as some of you might put it. You know what I did? Went and had breakfast with my kids. Its called flexibility.

Well said, my friend!
It ain't over til it's over, and in all fairness both parties should be allowed to feel comfortable going ahead with the transaction or backing out for any reason without question. Both parties should also communicate that to each other as well. At the end of the day we're all quite invested in our firearms and have the right to make our own choices and allow others to do the same.

Upvote 0
Might as well just add my user name and mention that you continue to hound my posts and profile. It has nothing to do with the legality of whether something is or isn't a contract. Ever heard of being a man of your word? Take your gimmick to armslist.

Instead you want to be a keyboard commando and mess up someone else's profile because you can't follow through and keep your word. Not my fault you made a back door deal with someone else. There are rules to the forum and being a man of your word. Glad your kids can count on you keeping your word.

Try investing some time into this community by donating and cleaning up our public shooting spots rather than ranting on and on about the friends you have made and the deals you back out on man.

Upvote 0
Might as well just add my user name and mention that you continue to hound my posts and profile. It has nothing to do with the legality of whether something is or isn't a contract. Ever heard of being a man of your word? Take your gimmick to armslist.

Instead you want to be a keyboard commando and mess up someone else's profile because you can't follow through and keep your word. Not my fault you made a back door deal with someone else. There are rules to the forum and being a man of your word. Glad your kids can count on you keeping your word.

Try investing some time into this community by donating and cleaning up our public shooting spots rather than ranting on and on about the friends you have made and the deals you back out on man.

I expect you treat everyone unkindly, don't you? That's really sad, and I pity you for it

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who knows there's a "Neutral" Feedback option?
That's a pretty good option to leave just this sort of non-judgemental concern, right?
I always thought it was cool. There are a few "Neutral" feedback conversations and comments where things seemed to have worked themselves out.
jm2c

neutral.png

Upvote 0
There is no such thing as contract law on this forum.

No. Wrong. Contract law is ubiquitous and applies everywhere the law applies. This isn't some super secret "legalities don't apply here" sovereign zone on the internet where laws are just nonexistent.

Now, if you don't like the tone of people talking about the law as it applies, fine. That's your prerogative, and it's also your prerogative to say you don't really care what the law says or if it's applied, or that you'd prefer to ignore it.

But that doesn't make it not apply. It does apply, regardless of your preferences. Don't like it? Still fine.

But you not liking it doesn't change reality itself. The law is the law, whether you want it to be or not. It's just a question of whether people obey or enforce it.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who knows there's a "Neutral" Feedback option?
That's a pretty good option to leave just this sort of non-judgemental concern, right?
I always thought it was cool. There are a few "Neutral" feedback conversations and comments where things seemed to have worked themselves out.
jm2c

View attachment 850216

Definitely. I changed a review from negative to neutral after discussion - it's a good option to have!

Upvote 0
You commit and back out you get feedback from me. If I see someone's feedback and they have a half dozen back outs I may not want to deal with them.

Last Edited:
Upvote 0
Well said, my friend!
It ain't over til it's over, and in all fairness both parties should be allowed to feel comfortable going ahead with the transaction or backing out for any reason without question. Both parties should also communicate that to each other as well. At the end of the day we're all quite invested in our firearms and have the right to make our own choices and allow others to do the same.
Well, that's two more people I don't need to deal with on this forum. Contract law applies to every deal made everywhere in this country, on every forum and website. That you think it doesn't, and that you think it is OK to make a deal, give your word, and then back out, tells me a lot about you and your ethics. Aside from the "Neutral Feedback" feature there's another useful and not well known feature called the "Ignore" button.

Upvote 0
Aaaaaah.
Sound of satisfaction. I went out in the rain today, hopeful that some old fashioned wheelin dealin was in my future. Got some good trades accomplished. Spent a couple hundo too.

I see the Galactic Senate fair and equitable trade commitee was busy debating complex matters far beyond my understanding. Good stuff fellas.

I once again don't feel compelled to leave or request feedback from the other party. He and I made mutually acceptable transactions.

I probably could have bought someone else's rifle out from under them by offering an extra $50 above the agreement prior to my arrival. I was standing there cash in hand, and the extra fiddy means nothing to me.
I didn't even try because I'm not a Richard. I guarantee it's not contract law that held me back. I think it's because I don't want to put a dent in someone else's enjoyment of my favorite hobby.

Upvote 0
Many of us here are fairly relaxed and aren't going to take each other to court over a deal that doesn't materialize.

At any rate, it's a good framework for how to do business - don't commit unless you're serious about it, and be considerate of the other person.

Have I EVER backed out of a deal? Yes. And if that other person had wanted to, they could have come after me and, if warranted, sued for specific performance, which is where a court forces you to perform the contract as originally agreed upon. Much of the time, that isn't pursued because it's not worth the trouble to the parties involved. But it COULD be - and for good reason.

Again, as Knobgoblin says - don't be a Richard, and everyone will get along just fine. Be a jerk, and you risk an ugly outcome.

Upvote 0
Buyer should not commit to by, unless they are sure they are going to hold up to the deal on their end.
buyers should express the plan to negotiate price upon meeting if that is there intent. Nothing worse then a fair priced item, and you to meet, and the guy wants to low ball you.
I list my items fair, with clear description of condition, and firm price. Upon meeting make the deal quick and painless. I have only had on guy not know what "firm" meant, and when i asked him to leave, he quickly understood the concept of the price being firm and what we agreed upon.
I told him I was not selling the item to him any longer, he was pissed, but I closed the garage and asked him to leave. He did after a few minutes...

sellers should be clear on item description, sale terms, and price. When it comes to meeting, life happens, just communicate changes as they happen.
request a deposit for anything someone wants held. If not deposit, it remains for sale.
agreed with all the comments on your word should me something

if you read this far, good on you, and most likely you are not the type to earn negative feedback anyway...

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads