JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
DEVELOPING: Emergency crews in Texas are responding to two large explosions at a fertilizer plant in the town of West, near Waco, authorities say.
Gayle Scarbrough, a spokeswoman for the Department of Public Safety in Waco, told television station KWTX that DPS troopers have been transporting the injured to hospitals in their patrol cars. She says six helicopters were also en route.
The blast at West Fertilizer plant, reported shortly before 8 p.m. CT, was confirmed by Waco police dispatch operators. First responders are dealing with numerous injuries and major damage to structures and vehicles, Scarbrough said.
Several buildings, some in residential areas, were reported to be burning, others destroyed, and a nearby nursing home was damaged, according to a report from KWTX.
Initial reports say people are trapped in a nearby nursing home and an apartment building.
A local school football field is being setup as a staging area.
According to scanner traffic, authorities are trying to block drivers from coming into town and evacuations are underway

Read more: Numerous injuries reported in large explosion at Texas fertilizer plant | Fox News

(CNN) -- An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in West Texas, causing dozens of injuries, officials said.
A hospital in Waco, Texas, has been told to anticipate 100 injured people coming in from the fertilizer plant area, an official at the medical facility said. Glenn Robinson, CEO of Hillcrest Hospital, said a field triage station was being set up on a football field near the plant some 18 miles north of Waco after the Wednesday night explosion.
"We have had a steady flow of patients coming in by ambulance as well as by private vehicles," Robinson told CNN's Anderson Cooper. He said more than a dozen injured people had been brought in by ambulances and "more than 20 -- that number is continuing to climb -- by private vehicle."
A photo after the explosion -- which reportedly happened around 7:50 p.m. (8:50 p.m. ET) -- showed a huge plume of smoke rising high into the air.
The West Fertilizer Plant is located just north of Waco. A school and a nursing home are among the buildings near the plant, CNN affiliate KWTX reported.
Senator Brian Birdwell said he was aware of the explosion and trying to get more information, a spokesman said.
"I stand ready to assist with any and all state resources that might aid the affected area," Birdwell said in a written statement.
Tommy Alford, who works in a convenience store about three miles from the plant, told CNN that several volunteer firefighters were at the store when they spotted smoke.
Alford said the firefighters headed toward the scene and then between five and 10 minutes later, he heard a massive explosion.
Hazardous material teams were being rushed to the scene, an emergency management official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/texas-explosion/index.html

According to CNN maybe as much as 60 or 70 dead..

Explosion hits fertilizer plant north of Waco, Texas - CNN.com

This is horrifying!! I don't know what to say.. I was just recovering after one explosion and now this..

The timing seems very bizarre. I keep thinking to myself was this set off on accident or was it terrorism? I'm just hoping this is an accident and feel horrible for all the loss of life.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top