JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello! So I just inherited a browning hi-power 9mm from my father. He has Alzheimer's and it is no longer safe for him to have access to firearms.

Anyway, I identified it as manufactured in 1969 by the serial number, but it has a second number etched on it and I've no idea what this means or what it would be for. I believe it is his old service weapon. Anyone know what's up with it?

Last Edited:
Sorry to hear on your fathers condition!

On the 2nd number, given its done by hand, I would figure it is someone's way of identifying property. Also it looks like a social security #, mayhaps check to see if it is your fathers social.

However, I have minimal Browning HP knowledge, so mayhaps there is some other reason.

Sorry to hear on your fathers condition!

On the 2nd number, given its done by hand, I would figure it is someone's way of identifying property. Also it looks like a social security #, mayhaps check to see if it is your fathers social.

However, I have minimal Browning HP knowledge, so mayhaps there is some other reason.

That's my guess.

039 is the starting digits for Social Security numbers issued in Rhode Island. Is your grandfather from there? If so you may want to take the picture down.

The other possibility is a driver's license number.

Hello! So I just inherited a browning hi-power 9mm from my father. He has Alzheimer's and it is no longer safe for him to have access to firearms.

Anyway, I identified it as manufactured in 1969 by the serial number, but it has a second number etched on it and I've no idea what this means or what it would be for. I believe it is his old service weapon. Anyone know what's up with it?
Service weapon? Was he a member of the FBI's HRT team?

Back then a rifle was a tool, nothing more.

3482.jpg

My grandfather customized his model 71 Deluxe. Ruined the collector value but so what, to him it was a tool.

P

Back then a rifle was a tool, nothing more.

View attachment 574592

My grandfather customized his model 71 Deluxe. Ruined the collector value but so what, to him it was a tool.

P
I've got a 92 Win that has at least that many extra holes and checkering by someone that almost had a little talent and he stipled the top and bottom of the reciever and rechambered to 357mag. When you shoulder it, it feels like perfection.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top