Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Numbers of Patrol Riflemen in large city PDs?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Brutus57, May 24, 2013.

1. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

In about 2002-3 I was empaneled in an jury inquest into a fatal shooting in a hostage situation in Seattle. It turned out it was justifiable...(they negotiated with the DV felon holding his infant son at knifepoint for hours) before they took him down with an AR head shot. However, during this two week process I learned that there were 600 patrol riflemen in Seattle PD. That's a serious amount of firepower! 600 men was the size of a Civil War infantry regiment. Just curious as to if there are numbers out there for other big cities? Interesting to note that 2-3 riflemen rotated out every couple of minutes or so having sights on this whack job. Shot was within 5 yards when it was taken.

Brutus Out

2. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

That's a tough one...

Every Soldier and Marine is a rifleman, technically. But there is only one Squad Designated Marksman per standard squad.

So does Seattle have 600 people qualified with the AR, or 600 people trained to SDM standards? I remember back in the day, the venerable shotgun was standard in the squad car, but I believe they have been mostly moved to the trunk in favor of the AR.+

I don't know any numbers about other large cities, but I do know that most sheriffs departments have everyone qualified on everything.

3. nwhpfan

nwhpfan Hopville Active Member

In a lot of ways the AR has replaced the shotgun, so lots of cops have AR's. As far as being a "rifleman" ... I would be surprised if that's a term they use. How many people at an agency are trained to take a "hostage shot" like on TV, I would guess there are a handful of people at the larger agencies PPB, Clackamas, Washington County, Salem PD, etc. that are members of a tactical team and have that level of training.

4. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the exact term they used in the inquest. Patrol rifleman also the officers were k-9s that spent the most amount of time zeroed in on the guy. When it looked like he was going to jump off the balcony with the 18 month old the Leo fired.

Brutus out.

5. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Qualification example: Patrol Rifle Qualification Course

Targets at 10yds-30yds with 80% min to qualify.
    Sounds more like how most folks here practice with handguns.
    Hardly up to SDM standards. Not even basic army standards.

6. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Yep. But it probably gets you a 3% raise for having the qualification. That's why there's 600 of them.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That sounds probable. I am for any additional marksmanship training, with any weapon available to them, that LEOs can get!

8. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Police training should reflect the scenarios they are likely to face - most Police shootings take place at close range. The military has a different mission and therefore different training.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.