JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Division st. now, 2 lanes plus huge turn lane.
division 2018.JPG

Division st. 2013, 4 lanes.

division 2103.JPG

Poeple have no choice but to drive through residential regular streets now. And the people on those streets now complain about too much traffic and driving too fast. Hmm, think it has anything to do with cutting road lanes by half?

A few months ago it took me over 30 minutes to drive from approx. se 23rd to se 11th. I haven't driven that "main road" since. They are purposely trying to make it hard to drive and we have to remember that these people really do hate cars.

Last Edited:
I was living here 30 years ago. It sure seemed nicer and smaller, but I didn't have the internet, a smart phone, and as finely honed media trolls that exist today. Even if crime was cut in half again, there would still be enough to fill someones news feed with whatever narritive you want, 24/7.

I would much rather walk down a pearl district street, Mississippi or 82nd at night now than 30 years ago. It may not be great, but it it is better in my opinion.

I was born (Holiday Park) and raised in NE PDX (Alameda) and I don't think that a gentrified N PDX (where crime is still very high) or the internet even if i can carry it in my pocket even comes close to compensating me for Antifa, The "occupy movement", The "homeless" problem or the folks that now run the city and encourage these urban terrorists..........there is more of course but hey........enjoy! It's so kewl

there is oh soooo much that the general public does not hear about, does not make it to the media ect.
get a scanner app for your phone and listen to pdx cops, especially 2am to about 6am and hear the weird poop and what the police wont do, it is utterly amazing!
again, there is a lot that does not get out to the tax payers, and its not just portland, it is everywhere.

Which scanner app for the phone?

Here is a related question: Given the violence demographics as illustrated above and the number of assailants, is there a preferred pistol or type of revolver best suited for an awful and potentially violent encounter? Are the assaults coming in groups of bad guys or bad women? Given these violence demographics will 5-7 round capacity cover the bases given the way Pdx had changed?

What tells you someone is a meth head? What do you look for?
A meth head will be up at all hours through the night. If you have a meth head neighbor you'll know there's a meth problem by all the unfinished projects laying around. I'm not talking some of us gun guys projects all over the house/garage. :D The meth head will have mostly garbage stuff that gets constantly moved around the house and yard late at night.
@Mikej , garbage is not so much a sign, moving it around at night can be. Had a neighbor who was frequently in his garage between 2am and 5am. Turns out he was cooking. I moved.
Recognizing the 'not yet addicted' tweaker is hard for me.

Top 10 Signs from The Canyon (Top 10 Signs You're a Meth Addict | The Canyon)
  1. Meth addicts have no appetite. A sure sign you're addicted is major weight loss in very little time.
  2. A decline in grades, job productivity and excessive absences is another trademark of meth addicts. Many cannot hold down a job for more than a couple of months.
  3. You may have heard of "meth mouth," meth addicts suffer from tooth decay and often have blackened or missing teeth and sore red gums.
  4. You smell of cat urine. Meth addicts sweat a lot and the smell is likened to that of cat urine.
  5. In addition to having a bad smell and rotting teeth, meth addicts often have an unwashed appearance and suffer from massive acne outbreaks.
  6. Meth addicts are often paranoid thinking everyone is out to get them.
  7. Many meth addicts stay awake for weeks at a time causing mood swings, irritability and paranoia.
  8. Room is littered with squares of burnt tin foil and bits of lightbulb, which are used for smoking meth.
  9. Your skin is so itchy you can't take it anymore. You scratch so much you draw blood.
  10. You have to have meth first thing in the morning. You feel you can't get through the day without your drugs.
I was living here 30 years ago. It sure seemed nicer and smaller, but I didn't have the internet, a smart phone, and as finely honed media trolls that exist today. Even if crime was cut in half again, there would still be enough to fill someones news feed with whatever narritive you want, 24/7.
I would much rather walk down a pearl district street, Mississippi or 82nd at night now than 30 years ago. It may not be great, but it it is better in my opinion.
Don't let the gentrification deceive you, there's still a lot of seediness in Portland.

Personally I don't think state-wide crime stats are very relevant to the more prevalent crime in Portland. Portland is becoming much more dense. More criminals are becoming visible in day to day life. It's is a huge change from even 5 years ago. Even just average driving puts u in touch with road rage and crazy stuff that simply were not here before.
More people, more problems!

Here is a related question: Given the violence demographics as illustrated above and the number of assailants, is there a preferred pistol or type of revolver best suited for an awful and potentially violent encounter? Are the assaults coming in groups of bad guys or bad women? Given these violence demographics will 5-7 round capacity cover the bases given the way Pdx had changed?
Re: # of assailants, just based on what I've heard listening to the police and sheriff on the free "5-0 radio" app over the last year or so, most of the assailants (almost all actually) are from 1 person. Just my observation and in no way scientific or anything else. Same for robberies (ie with a weapon). Can't speak to burglaries.

Everyone has different opinions and preferences on capacity and they r all valid (for them).

Then of course there is the caliber debate. Again personal preference.

Having said that, I've been thinking about this question in the context of mouse caliber "last resort" guns (ie when I can't carry ur regular carry gun).

Ellifritz study on 18 years of real-world shootings showed that a good portion of assailants stopped once they were shot, with any caliber and hit anywhere on their body. They were "psychologically incapacitated" so to speak (ie they just didn't want to get shot anymore so they gave up).

So a certain % of people will stop the attack once they are shot with any gun. That doesn't account for some guy on pcp or whatever that thinks he is Superman and nothing short of physical incapacitation will stop him.

Another thing he emphasiszed was shot placement. Shots to the head or vitals caused physical incapacitation at about the same rate regardless of caliber.

So that tells me #1, that having any gun with you can stop a large % of assailants due to "psychological incapacitation".

Related to this I've thought about adding lasers to my handguns for this psychological reason. When that laser is on them they may stop the attack before any shots r fired (Ie an extra way to stop the attack before having to pull the trigger).

#2, that u need to shoot accurately under stress and that is more important than caliber.

#3, then for those that won't give up until they physically can't of course caliber, power, ammo become more important.

As civilians our goal is to stop the attack and make the assailants go away. For law enforcement they have to actually stop and arrest (capture) the guy. So I wonder if some of these little guns like the NAA 22 mag mini revolver would be effective at stopping the attack if that is all u had. According to Ellifritz it appears it would. Better than no gun at all and only 6.2 ounces or whatever and tiny. Not a replacement for main carry gun though.

That's my thinking at the moment anyway and subject to change as I learn more.

I came thru Portland in 1984 on my way to move to Alaska , It was a very Nice place, the people I met were friendly, I felt safe and I didnt see a single Cardboard sign franchise operator at any Intersection. Fall of 2017 I came back to Portland to visit my buddy Bealzybub and help him while he was injured and found Portland is a Craphole now. Cranksters trying to steal stuff in the yard, crazy women fighting in the streets, people burning campfires IN the Fred Meyers driveway , beggars with cardboard signs at every intersection and stupid drivers giving em money, we saw em later at the store buying booze and smokes, Freakin homeless camps and Trash and human waste everywhere, a-holes on Bicycles thinkin they own the road, and some weird looking , weird dressed people that would scare a clown ! I slept with My .44 mag besides my bed in my camper in his yard... and I didnt get much deep sleep.
You couldn't pay me 10 million bucks to live there even with your Krispy Kreme donut shop !

I came thru Portland in 1984 on my way to move to Alaska , It was a very Nice place, the people I met were friendly, I felt safe and I didnt see a single Cardboard sign franchise operator at any Intersection. Fall of 2017 I came back to Portland to visit my buddy Bealzybub and help him while he was injured and found Portland is a Craphole now. Cranksters trying to steal stuff in the yard, crazy women fighting in the streets, people burning campfires IN the Fred Meyers driveway , beggars with cardboard signs at every intersection and stupid drivers giving em money, we saw em later at the store buying booze and smokes, Freakin homeless camps and Trash and human waste everywhere, a-holes on Bicycles thinkin they own the road, and some weird looking , weird dressed people that would scare a clown ! I slept with My .44 mag besides my bed in my camper in his yard... and I didnt get much deep sleep.
You couldn't pay me 10 million bucks to live there even with your Krispy Kreme donut shop !
The Krispy Kreme gave it away, but that sure sounds like Clackamas! XD

I believe a lot of stabbings go unreported since most people can handle a non life threatening wound. Bullets are hard to explain and remove.

I also think crime stats are skewed to fit an agenda. Whether it's to keep home price up or get more funding for a department. Maybe a stabbing in Lake Oswego gets reported as a lesser attack or a crime off 82nd street reports everything from intent to untied shoe laces. I offer Ted Wheeler as an example. No crime here. Ignore the bloody man in the Trump hat.

I believe a lot of stabbings go unreported since most people can handle a non life threatening wound. Bullets are hard to explain and remove.

That's an interesting thing to say, do you have a reference for stabbings being easy to 'handle'? The statistic I've seen is that you're more likely to die from a stabbing than being shot, but reporting bias might affect that if true.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top