JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
LAX Shooting to Unleash TSA VIPR "Stop and Frisk" Teams

LAX Shooting to Unleash TSA VIPR "Stop and Frisk" Teams

By Robert Farago on November 4, 2013

After last Friday's shooting at Los Angeles International Airport, Senator Diane Feinstein renewed her call for an assault weapons ban. And the sun came up in the East. More worrying: Texas Congressman Michael McCaul called for a greater role for the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA). On CNN's State of the Union the Chairman of Homeland Security Committee danced around the idea of arming TSA Agents. And while you're thinking "what could possibly go wrong?" think about this: McCaul pimped for a greater role of the TSA's VIPR teams (Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response) "to make sure American people are safe and the traveling public are safe when they go to our airports." Uh-oh . . .

Wikipedia reminds us that the TSA's fully-armed SWAT-style VIPR teams were born in 2005 to "detain and search travelers at railroad stations, bus stations, ferries, car tunnels, ports, subways, truck weigh stations, rest areas, and special events." By 2009, Uncle Sam had 10 VIPR detection teams up and running at an annual cost of $30m. The next year that swelled to 15 teams at a cost of $50m. Last year, taxpayers forked-over $109m for 37 teams. All sitting around singing "I want to be where the people are."

TSA VIPR squad wearing DHS shirts at Washington's Union Station in July 2013 (courtesy nytimes.com)

Only it's not so funny for Americans who value their liberty. In 2007, VIPR teams stopped and randomly searched travelers at an Indianapolis bus station. In early 2011, a TSA VIPR team swooped on an Amtrak train in Savannah Georgia, detaining and searching passengers as they got off the train. The ensuing blowback and ongoing public antipathy may account for the fact that the VIPR teams wear DHS-branded clothing rather than TSA blue when out and about. Especially at train stations, now that the temporary ban on their presence has been lifted.

And highways. Did I mention highways? I digress. Sunday's chat show appearance signals Rep. McCaul's desire to green light VIPR teams at airports, giving them the go-ahead to randomly stop and search airline passengers. And anyone else in the airport environs. At any airport in the United States the TSA chooses. Based on . . . ?

In 2009, "TSA officials told [DHS Office of Inspector General] auditors that VIPR deployments were not always based on credible intelligence." Click here to read the report, which says "Additional Surface Inspectors Are Needed to Perform Future Tasks and Enhance Understaffed Field Offices." Are you thinking what I'm thinking? The LAX incident will unleash the TSA's goons as a preventative measure, rather than responding to intelligence, credible or not.

VIPR team out and about (courtesy ar15.com)

Do we want another SWAT team roaming The Land of the Free at enormous expense, increasing inter-agency conflict, complete with Behavior Detection Officers? While this site holds Democrats' feet to the fire on their civilian disarmament agenda, it behooves The People of the Gun to remember that the Republicans' love of law enforcement poses as great a threat to gun owners' liberty as the gun control folk. If not more. If they continue working together in the great bi-partisan spirit of anti-terrorism we could be well and truly f*cked. Just sayin'
Nudge, Shove,,,Shoot

As if I needed another reason to avoid airports, flying.........
If I cant get there by vehicle (land based), boat, foot or horseback, I have no reason to go there, wherever the hell there is .......

As if I needed another reason to avoid airports, flying.........
If I cant get there by vehicle (land based), boat, foot or horseback, I have no reason to go there, wherever the hell there is .......

Ditto. I haven't flown since all this TSABS started, not about to anytime soon.

you are more likely to get hit by lightening than shot at an airport, we need to figure out how to get the masses focused on what is really a threat.

That will never happen. Irrational emotions rule the day. Facts/statistics are meaningless. If that were not the case the 2A would not be doomed eventually.

you are more likely to get hit by lightening than shot at an airport, we need to figure out how to get the masses focused on what is really a threat.

Better watch what you suggest - next thing you know we'll have the thugs out searching hunters for weapons after a hunting accident occurs. "you can't have a weapon while hunting, you might hurt another hunter by accident"

This has nothing to do with the safety of people but everything to do with creating more agencies and increasing the size of the government pie for some inept kangaroo council to micromanage to the demise of personal liberty and freedom for us.

I seriously pray every day that Diane Feinstein doesn't wake up or to see her stroke out on CSPAN during a live hearing......

She's a greater threat than Syria in my opinion.

I know, I'm sick. sorry.

Ask a random stranger on the street if gun violence is going up or down...oh, those pesky facts. But since it's all you ever hear about on the news it must be going up, right?

Can't wait for the first "VIPR" officer to get knocked the bubblegum out by a protective father whose teenage daughter is singled out for a stop and frisk search.

They should concentrate on terrorists by profiling them, not Nuns or white grandmothers...

I disagree on the "Nuns" part. The ones I knew in Catholic school would defiantly qualify as terrorists, and I have the scars to prove it.
Those gals would make a Green Beret run for his life.
And I quote from sister Mary Ellen, "I'm not punishing you, God Is!" No flat edge of the ruler from her, straight edge only.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top