JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Are you guys making a late April Fools joke? Because, I mean, you can't be serious... 173 citations, a lot of them ARE FOX, most of which point out factual inaccuracies in FOX reporting like when they Photoshop rival journalists, intentionally use the wrong video footage, or straight up lye about facts. And how can you say "Those articles are crap because they're written by crap liberal media" WHEN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT FOX!

And I have watched it before. Fact is every journalist has a slant, and I respect one that takes a stand and promoted their values. But the level of BS that many FOX reports vomit out on a regular basis makes me want to throw up.

Fox news has zero to do with NBC's maliciously motivated edit, you are changing the subject and putting a third and uninvolved party on trial, where is your outrage for NBC who is guilty. Have some objectivity if you want some respect, taking the party line shows that you are not interested in the truth when it goes against your political slant which make you less than credible.

Since Trlsmn is the most recent above this, I'll address it first. I didn't try to change the subject, someone pointed out how the liberal media always puts a slant on everything, I was just pointing out that all media outlets do that.

Now to everyone else. Maybe when you get together your sensory functions exponentially degrade, but the title of this forum is Northwest Firearms. Turns out I live in the beautiful Pacific northwest, and I like guns, so actually I have a pretty darn important thing in common with everyone else on this forum.

See the thing about normal people (eg. not you) is that we have a unique set of moral values and beliefs that I stand by. While you may be some radical extremist that just does and think what you're told by your parties leaders and media, then immediately turn around and rant about how "them liberals are trying to destroy our way of life and throw us in internment camps" only proves the fact that you probably have a hard time picking out your own clothes in the morning.

Something I see a lot in this forum are people saying things along the lines of "oh we can't speak our minds or the liberals will call us racist homophobic bigots." I'd like to address those now:
-Racist: While I have seen some posts by certain people on the forum that possibly boarder racism, nothing stands such that I feel the need to comment here.
-Homophobic: I've seen nothing of the sort on this forum. If there are people on here that "hate the gays", they're doing a good job not mentioning it. Nothing else to say.
-Bigot: Actually yes, you are.
Big-ot [big-uht] noun: A person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Yes, that's you. I personally am just one example. Every time you say how all the (x type of people) wrong and how they should be kick out of the country / internment camps / whatever other crazy ideas you have, you only prove it. I should say there are also liberal bigots. But right now, it's you. Don't deny it. QED bubblegum.

Lastly, that comment about being your "pet." Cute. I am not, nor will I ever be, anyone else's "pet." IF I was your pet, the first thing I would do is piss all over your rug. Preferably one that ties the room together.

You just got rocked. Try not to cry too hard, it happens to the best of us. I'm out.

Since Trlsmn is the most recent above this, I'll address it first. I didn't try to change the subject, someone pointed out how the liberal media always puts a slant on everything, I was just pointing out that all media outlets do that.

Now to everyone else. Maybe when you get together your sensory functions exponentially degrade, but the title of this forum is Northwest Firearms. Turns out I live in the beautiful Pacific northwest, and I like guns, so actually I have a pretty darn important thing in common with everyone else on this forum.

See the thing about normal people (eg. not you) is that we have a unique set of moral values and beliefs that I stand by. While you may be some radical extremist that just does and think what you're told by your parties leaders and media, then immediately turn around and rant about how "them liberals are trying to destroy our way of life and throw us in internment camps" only proves the fact that you probably have a hard time picking out your own clothes in the morning.

Something I see a lot in this forum are people saying things along the lines of "oh we can't speak our minds or the liberals will call us racist homophobic bigots." I'd like to address those now:
-Racist: While I have seen some posts by certain people on the forum that possibly boarder racism, nothing stands such that I feel the need to comment here.
-Homophobic: I've seen nothing of the sort on this forum. If there are people on here that "hate the gays", they're doing a good job not mentioning it. Nothing else to say.
Big-ot [big-uht] noun: A person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Yes, that's you. I personally am just one example. Every time you say how all the (x type of people) wrong and how they should be kick out of the country / internment camps / whatever other crazy ideas you have, you only prove it. I should say there are also liberal bigots. But right now, it's you. Don't deny it. QED bubblegum.

Lastly, that comment about being your "pet." Cute. I am not, nor will I ever be, anyone else's "pet." IF I was your pet, the first thing I would do is piss all over your rug. Preferably one that ties the room together.

You just got rocked. Try not to cry too hard, it happens to the best of us. I'm out.

Label la·bel [ˈleɪbəl] noun: What liberals away give anyone who doesn't think like them, because of their (liberals) inability to use actual facts to support their argument, instead relying on emotions and feelings.

implied-facepalm-implied-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1259858393.jpg

BadMotel-I have publically defended your right to be a liberal. Now you are just an idiot. The idea that other races can march in the streets, call for the public lynching of a not only unconvicted, but uncharged man while black on white crimes are somehow viewed as "the universe balancing itself". Let me guess, you subscribe to the George Clooney' and Susan Sarandon' of the world? You probably believe that while bodies are stacked around the world that we are the most racist, hate-filled people on the planet. This is proven by us freeing our slaves long before any of us were born. Also, the way we commit genocide like we have seen done to Kurds and Jews, in Bosnia and Rwanda and so many countless places. The fact that this opinion even exists is a prime example of the bourgeois(sorry if I spelled that wrong, I'm American, not French. I also don't use spellcheck. You should try even typing on your own laurels sometime, it's liberating) lifestyle and comfort we have grown to expect. Do you know what the Palestinian government that liberals so badly want to put in place would do to your liberal values? They would behead them, then send your mother the video and your tongue. Again, let's just look at the liberal view of the establishment of a Palestinian government('cuz they're such a peaceful religion and the country of Palestine would be a beautiful place, where everyone could express themselves freely). Your liberal views would be held in high regard as homosexuals were burned at the stake and rape victims stoned to death. Families could be entered in a "free bag of rice for every male child willing to strap a bomb to his chest and walk into a mosque" program. It is amazing how liberals can defend a religion and a people who want nothing more than to completely destroy your "right to choose". That has nothing to do with abortion, but your right to choose anything. Your inherent ability to judge which of us are racist, homophobic or in any other way bigotted definitely lends credence to your standard of equality. So, take your little peashootin' guns, the ones that you will happily line up to turn in when they are deemed illegal and kiss off. Enough of your racism towards whites and your anti-American slant.

t.huynh-Your assessment of racial profiling and stereotyping of your own people is absolutely correct, though my point was that we are all stereotyped. Combatting racism is absolutely ridiculous. A more realistic approach would be to accept that we are all prejudice(break it down. It means to pre-judge. We all do it, based on skin color, style of dress, the way a person carries themself) and deal with it. When people see a white guy with a shaved head and boots, it is completely normal to call that person a skinhead without knowing their name. When we see a black guy with saggy jeans, a red or blue bandana, gang style tattoos and a gold "grill", we are to assume nothing and know that we should not pretend to "know their culture". Again, the double standard makes me choke. Kip

Lastly, that comment about being your “pet.” Cute. I am not, nor will I ever be, anyone else’s “pet.” IF I was your pet, the first thing I would do is piss all over your rug. Preferably one that ties the room together.

The quote above sounds very much like what a quite liberal female would write. Either too young to comprehend or too old, lonely and bitter to care.
It's the whole negative attention is better than no attention thing.

Not to pile on, just a small observation. If true, would explain much.

NBC go BOOM!

February 22, 1993 William A. Henry III

PRESS: Where NBC Went Wrong The network suffers a humiliating bout of confessions and soul-searching after admitting it rigged the crash-and-burn of a GM truck

But for a puff of smoke, it all might have turned out differently.

Last week General Motors Corp. might still have been reeling from a $105.2 million jury verdict, awarded to an Atlanta couple whose son died when his GM truck exploded in a collision. NBC News might have been touting itself for having exposed the danger of GM's controversial ''sidesaddle'' gas tanks in a riveting Dateline NBC segment. Instead the network singed its reputation, and the car company won in the court of public opinion the safety battle it had lost in the courthouse.

Dateline's report on Nov. 17 featured 14 min. of balanced debate, capped by 57 seconds of crash footage that explosively showed how the gas tanks of certain old GM trucks could catch fire in a sideways collision.

Following a tip, GM hired detectives, searched 22 junkyards for 18 hours, and found evidence to debunk almost every aspect of the crash sequence. Last week, in a devastating press conference, GM showed that the conflagration was rigged, its causes misattributed, its severity overstated and other facts distorted. Two crucial errors: NBC said the truck's gas tank had ruptured, yet an X ray showed it hadn't; NBC consultants set off explosive miniature rockets beneath the truck split seconds before the crash -- yet no one told the viewers.

There was plenty of sarcastic speculation about what happened between Monday afternoon, when NBC was defiantly dismissing GM's charges, and Tuesday morning, when it drafted an abject apology largely on GM's terms. NBC News president Michael Gartner says he simply realized that he had goofed by speaking first and asking questions later: ''The more I learned, the worse it got. Ultimately I was troubled by almost every aspect of the crash. I knew we had to apologize. We put 225,000 minutes of news on the air last year, and I didn't want to be defined by those 57 seconds.'' Gartner also faced nonjournalistic pressures. GM's top management had sent word it would sue via the top management of NBC's parent company, General Electric, a big GM supplier. Dateline co-anchor Jane Pauley, who shared the awkward duty of apologizing on air, told the staff in a pep talk the next day that she took ''perverse pride'' in the readiness to admit failings.

But most journalists and, for that matter, most news consumers seemed to agree with former NBC News president Reuven Frank, who said, ''This is the worst black eye NBC News has suffered in my experience, which goes back to 1950.'' How could NBC go so far wrong? One veteran correspondent was not surprised. ''The whole atmosphere'' has been so competitive and overeager, he said, that the network was ''an accident waiting to happen.'' More details may emerge from NBC's investigation, but it is already clear that employees fell into some familiar traps:

1. CHOOSE A SEXY TOPIC AND SELL IT SEXILY. Video newsmagazines are proliferating because they are cheaper, and thus more profitable, than comedy or drama. But to beat the tabloid ''news'' and talk shows, network magazines increasingly concentrate on crime, celebrities and scandals -- and on graphic visual imagery. Gartner says NBC would have had a perfectly sound, valid and sensible 14-min. story about the controversy without a crash. But the producers felt the story would be stronger with one.

2. PICTURES ARE EVERYTHING. The firm that NBC hired staged just two crashes. GM trucks do not, of course, explode in half of all sideways collisions, or there wouldn't be many left on the road. So the consultants helped things along. As GM later demonstrated, the truck that did burn -- apparently because it had an ill-fitting gas-tank cap, made for a different truck -- ignited for only about 15 sec. But to ensure that its images were graphic, NBC used tightly edited shots in which the flames looked much worse.

3. TRUST THE EXPERTS. NBC's testers insisted that the rockets wouldn't matter unless fuel was spilled, and that on the actual day the explosion was sparked by a broken headlamp anyway. The producers were so taken with this reasoning that they forgot the basic question, Is it fair? The essential contract is not with any source or expert, but with the reader or viewer, who is entitled to the facts to judge for himself.

4. CIRCLE THE WAGONS. Journalists are so often assailed by news subjects protesting stories that are fair and true -- but inconvenient -- that they tend to dismiss all complaints. It was ill advised of the story's producers to answer GM without consulting NBC's legal department or journalistic superiors. It was loyal but just as unwise for Gartner to reaffirm the story later without checking. Even the ablest journalist sometimes gets things wrong.

What will this episode mean for NBC News? Theories last week ranged from short-term embarrassment all the way up to demise. The most probable result is that all TV-news shows will look for more about celebrities, crime and vastly less complex scandals. The safety of GM trucks is exactly the kind of issue that popular news programs should address. But instead of making sure that they do it right, skittish producers and executives will probably be inclined for a while not to do it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews