Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NRA Silhouette certification to shoot silhouettes with rimfires at Tri-County

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RifleEnthusiast, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

For Tri-county members, does anyone know what it takes to be 'NRA Silhouette certified' in order to be able to shoot silhouettes with rimfires in the black power/rimfire range?

2. Hamundr

Hamundr Portland, OR Member

We are trying to figure this out too

3. RifleEnthusiast

I emailed Mike (can't remember his last name) and he gave me all the details will post them if I find the email.

4. Hamundr

Hamundr Portland, OR Member

Thank you!

5. RifleEnthusiast

That's the response I got quite some time ago.

"to become certified you must shoot an NRA certified match at Tricounty gun club. You must also purchase an NRA classiication booklet for $13.00 , You must shoot a match anually and purchase a new book anuially. A NRA certified rifle is a target rifle weighing less than 10#2oz. with scope . or a 8#8oz. sporter rifle with scope. or a tube fed lever, pump, or semi auto . No scope."

6. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I think that since the rimfire range got re-purposed for 'action rifle", you do not need a certification to shoot rimfire on the BP range anymore. I am not 100% sure and will check and get back to you guys.

7. RifleEnthusiast

I think you need to recheck your info .. up until a couple months ago they had a sign at the BP/rimfire range stating clearly that you cannot shoot silhouette unless you're certified, I don't know if that has changed recently.

8. RifleEnthusiast

Oh wait, I think I misunderstood you, you can shoot BP/rimfire at the BP range without certification, if you want to shoot silhouette with a rimfire you need to be certified.

9. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

From the January 2013 newsletter:

"The new Black Powder/Silhouette/Rimfire Range has comprehensive rules regarding type of gun, targets and ammunition. Please review these rules carefully before using this range. Certification is no longer required on the BP/Sil/RF range to shoot at metal targets, but ammunition is restricted."

10. RifleEnthusiast

techiej, thanks for pointing that out, that's definitely new and I did not look at the newsletter yet.

11. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

This is what I got from the guy who coordinates silhouette matches:
    What ammunition is restricted? That is the issue. This is my SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess):
    * Rimfire: I am sure you are ok if shooting 22LR. I'd have to get back to you about 17HMR, but my guess is will be ok, too.
    * Pistol centerfire: all cast bullets, ok. FMJ, too, as long as the energy stays below 1000 lb-ft at impact. (my guess) 460SW and 500SW could be a problem.
    * Rifle centerfire: cast bullets ok. Most Copper jacketed ammo IS NOT. I know some is permitted, like 30-30 round nose bullets, but high velocity or high energy ammo will damage the steel targets, especially if shooting at short distances (at or under 100 yd), and is not permitted. My guess, if you hunt medium to large game with it, it is too hot, unless it is tubular mag lever action ammo. Factory 223Rem, 7.62x39, 308Win, etc, too hot.

Will try to find out the specifics.

12. RifleEnthusiast

Can you shoot pistols in the BP/Rimfire range? I thought that was only for BP and rimfire rifles.