JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's the response I got quite some time ago.

"to become certified you must shoot an NRA certified match at Tricounty gun club. You must also purchase an NRA classiication booklet for $13.00 , You must shoot a match anually and purchase a new book anuially. A NRA certified rifle is a target rifle weighing less than 10#2oz. with scope . or a 8#8oz. sporter rifle with scope. or a tube fed lever, pump, or semi auto . No scope."

I think that since the rimfire range got re-purposed for 'action rifle", you do not need a certification to shoot rimfire on the BP range anymore. I am not 100% sure and will check and get back to you guys.

I think that since the rimfire range got re-purposed for 'action rifle", you do not need a certification to shoot rimfire on the BP range anymore. I am not 100% sure and will check and get back to you guys.

I think you need to recheck your info .. up until a couple months ago they had a sign at the BP/rimfire range stating clearly that you cannot shoot silhouette unless you're certified, I don't know if that has changed recently.

From the January 2013 newsletter:

"The new Black Powder/Silhouette/Rimfire Range has comprehensive rules regarding type of gun, targets and ammunition. Please review these rules carefully before using this range. Certification is no longer required on the BP/Sil/RF range to shoot at metal targets, but ammunition is restricted."

From the January 2013 newsletter:

"The new Black Powder/Silhouette/Rimfire Range has comprehensive rules regarding type of gun, targets and ammunition. Please review these rules carefully before using this range. Certification is no longer required on the BP/Sil/RF range to shoot at metal targets, but ammunition is restricted."

techiej, thanks for pointing that out, that's definitely new and I did not look at the newsletter yet.

This is what I got from the guy who coordinates silhouette matches:
To be certified, a shooter needs to attend a couple of our matches (incl the safety briefing prior to the match) and buy a book (which shows they have gone thru the process). The key reasons are
1) to make sure the shooter knows that the targets can be damaged if hit by rifle ammo they were not designed for
2) safety rules for the silhouettes and BP range.

For most TCGC members, this may be a moot issue soon. The Executive Range Officer is talking about buying swinger silhouettes for use by the general membership on the BP range. Will let you know when I know more.

What ammunition is restricted? That is the issue. This is my SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess):
* Rimfire: I am sure you are ok if shooting 22LR. I'd have to get back to you about 17HMR, but my guess is will be ok, too.
* Pistol centerfire: all cast bullets, ok. FMJ, too, as long as the energy stays below 1000 lb-ft at impact. (my guess) 460SW and 500SW could be a problem.
* Rifle centerfire: cast bullets ok. Most Copper jacketed ammo IS NOT. I know some is permitted, like 30-30 round nose bullets, but high velocity or high energy ammo will damage the steel targets, especially if shooting at short distances (at or under 100 yd), and is not permitted. My guess, if you hunt medium to large game with it, it is too hot, unless it is tubular mag lever action ammo. Factory 223Rem, 7.62x39, 308Win, etc, too hot.

Will try to find out the specifics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads