JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WASHINGTON -- The head of the National Rifle Assn. expressed confidence Sunday that the current Congress will not pass a new ban on assault weapons, a major aim of gun-control proponents in the wake of last month’s killing of 20 schoolchildren in Connecticut.

“I would say that the likelihood is that they are not going to be able to get assault weapons ban through this Congress,” NRA President David Keene said on CNN’s “State Of The Union.”

Keene’s comments come two days before Vice President Joe Biden is expected to issue a series of recommendations to President Obama on reducing gun violence, and as gun stores in many areas report a dramatic spike in sales.

Biden’s focus has been on requiring universal background checks for gun sales and on limiting sales of high-capacity ammunition clips, two areas that appear to have widespread public support.

But administration officials have indicated that a ban on assault weapons could be included in an overall package of proposals. Obama has endorsed renewing such a ban, which was passed by Congress in 1994 but expired a decade later.

Congress is exhibiting new energy to restrict production and sales of certain firearms, with some pro-gun members speaking out for the first time against the spread of assault weapons.

But it’s far from clear if there’s enough support, particularly among Republicans, to approve a broad ban on such type of military-style guns.

“I think we have the possibility, but it’s going to be difficult,” said Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) on CNN. He said prospects were better for Congress to push through restrictions on high-capacity magazines and expanded background checks.

Biden met with NRA officials last week as part of his efforts to reach out to all sides on the issue, but Keene described the meeting as disingenuous, saying that the administration had already made up its mind.

Keene insisted that new measures on assault weapons, as well as on high-volume magazines, would be ineffective in preventing gun violence, arguing instead that the focus should be on mentally ill people and curbing their ability to acquire guns.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) on Sunday sharply disagreed with Keene’s assessment that the current Congress would not take action on assault weapons.

“No, I think he’s wrong,” Murphy said on CNN. Saying that he believed such a ban would have prevented the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., Murphy said: “Newtown fundamentally changed things. The NRA doesn’t get this.”

I have not hear any this goood of the news for long time

Congress really isn't required in the process anymore.

I asked a guy I know in the ATF and he said there is talk in his agency about major "revisions" of the current regulations. None of these policy revisions take congressional approval and minor ones happen all of the time behind the scenes. This would not be an all-out ban but things would get very complicated and most likely expensive.

Let's all see what Joe says on Tuesday.

WASHINGTON -- The head of the National Rifle Assn. expressed confidence Sunday that the current Congress will not pass a new ban on assault weapons, a major aim of gun-control proponents in the wake of last month's killing of 20 schoolchildren in Connecticut.

"I would say that the likelihood is that they are not going to be able to get assault weapons ban through this Congress," NRA President David Keene said on CNN's "State Of The Union."

Keene's comments come two days before Vice President Joe Biden is expected to issue a series of recommendations to President Obama on reducing gun violence, and as gun stores in many areas report a dramatic spike in sales.

Biden's focus has been on requiring universal background checks for gun sales and on limiting sales of high-capacity ammunition clips, two areas that appear to have widespread public support.

But administration officials have indicated that a ban on assault weapons could be included in an overall package of proposals. Obama has endorsed renewing such a ban, which was passed by Congress in 1994 but expired a decade later.

Congress is exhibiting new energy to restrict production and sales of certain firearms, with some pro-gun members speaking out for the first time against the spread of assault weapons.

But it's far from clear if there's enough support, particularly among Republicans, to approve a broad ban on such type of military-style guns.

"I think we have the possibility, but it's going to be difficult," said Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) on CNN. He said prospects were better for Congress to push through restrictions on high-capacity magazines and expanded background checks.

Biden met with NRA officials last week as part of his efforts to reach out to all sides on the issue, but Keene described the meeting as disingenuous, saying that the administration had already made up its mind.

Keene insisted that new measures on assault weapons, as well as on high-volume magazines, would be ineffective in preventing gun violence, arguing instead that the focus should be on mentally ill people and curbing their ability to acquire guns.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) on Sunday sharply disagreed with Keene's assessment that the current Congress would not take action on assault weapons.

"No, I think he's wrong," Murphy said on CNN. Saying that he believed such a ban would have prevented the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., Murphy said: "Newtown fundamentally changed things. The NRA doesn't get this."

I have not hear any this goood of the news for long time

What they consider not being high capacity magazines today will become high capacity tomorrow. If successful getting this changed, the first jack-wagon that goes ape-bubblegum with four pistols having 10+ round clips will start this discussion again. Law abiding citizens being penalized by the actions of the few. They're no more interested in curbing gun violence than Hillary is facing the senate commission on the Benghazi debacle. Neutering America and making it a soft tyranny police state is their single objective...period.

Come on people, dont forget that we are living in United States. We the people will not let it happen. So stop being nagative on this subject to help all the gouging firearms dealers making rich out of us. At lease this news will calm the people down a little.

maybe not, maybe so.
But it'll help to have friends.

With lighter paychecks, people may ‘get it' about Obama and gun owners

Activist gun owners looking back at a week of choreographed meetings on gun control led by Vice President Joe Biden may have a lot of new company so far as their diminishing opinion of the Barack Obama presidency is concerned.

<broken link removed>

I'm more concerned that with the various groups saying this now, they will cause the people who want to pass such a ban to double down on their efforts.

It seems in something like this bragging can have a very negative effect and little upside.

i think it's a tactical gamble which can fail, making such a prediction. we all know this has to do with politics, trades, deals, riders written onto the coat tails of laws, etc. if such an AWB does occur the winners will be thumping their chests big time and proclaiming 'we've beaten the NRA...". if the AWB1 has come and gone (by virtue of a sunset clause, not an overturn) I think it's less painful to simply re-up the terms of the earlier one again. if it comes about, they will be emboldened.

The NRA may yet be able to overturn it in court. The level of scrutiny has gone from rational basis to at least intermediate scrutiny and should be strict scrutiny. The "machine gun ban" needs the right court challenger though, not some numbskull, who usually has a criminal record, home brewing a full auto weapon with a file.

Just imagine lifting the ban on post '86 automatic weapons... THAT sends a tingle up MY leg.

I'll be breaking out the files if/when they do! ;)

That won't happen any time soon. Many of the cases that were filed right after Heller are still undecided, which is like 5 years. And there are some pretty straightforward ones, such as right to carry, or "Assault Weapons". Check out this page :
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads