JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I stumbled upon the NRA marksmanship program today and am interested in attempting to pass all of the levels to get to distinguished expert.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from the googling I've done today it looks like all I need to do is acquire the official targets and have a fellow NRA member present to watch and verify I completed the test legitimately?

Then what do I do with the targets?

Thanks

For those interested in this see the link above. If you need a witness and are in the Vancouver area shoot me an email and I"ll help. Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club has shooting competition for Juniors and Adults. Give them a call if you'd like to join in. vancouverrifle.com

For those interested in this see the link above. If you need a witness and are in the Vancouver area shoot me an email and I"ll help. Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club has shooting competition for Juniors and Adults. Give them a call if you'd like to join in. vancouverrifle.com

I already read through all that. Was just looking for some clarification.
Thanks too bad Vancouver is so far from me.

… Then what do I do with the targets? ...

If you are doing this solo you can shoot all but the Distinguished level on the honor system. So you can do whatever you want with the targets. It's been a very long time since I was coaching junior teams and using this program, but at that time once a shooter went Distinguished there was a particular form that was filled out and witnessed by another NRA member. On this form the scores were listed, but there was not a need to send in the targets. Just the completed form with the witness's signature and NRA number was all that was necessary.

It's a great program. It provides a step by step ladder to improve in realistic fashion. Many find motivation when they have something like this. Once you make Distinguished in this program you are shooting the equivalent of a solid Sharpshooter level as listed in the formal competition classification system.

I went out and looked at the form. In addition to the witness signature for the distinguished level shooting they also ask for the dates of completion for each level pro-marksman through expert. I'd just print up the form and fill in the completion dates as you hit them … keeping it simple.

I dug through some old files and came across the score sheets my daughter, 10 at the time, was working through with air rifle and pistol. I showed them to her asking why we stopped doing the program. She couldn't remember but asked if we could start it up again … so we will be working through the levels. It will be fun! She wants to do the high power rifle now as well.

Let us know how it goes for you.

I went out and looked at the form. In addition to the witness signature for the distinguished level shooting they also ask for the dates of completion for each level pro-marksman through expert. I'd just print up the form and fill in the completion dates as you hit them … keeping it simple.

I dug through some old files and came across the score sheets my daughter, 10 at the time, was working through with air rifle and pistol. I showed them to her asking why we stopped doing the program. She couldn't remember but asked if we could start it up again … so we will be working through the levels. It will be fun! She wants to do the high power rifle now as well.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Thank you this has been helpful.
Once I get my red dot back from leupold I'll start working on these.
Gonna try to knock all.of them out in a session if possible aside from distinguished expert

I'm looking for a source of printable AP-2 reduced targets for the pistol qualifiers. The program has changed since a few years ago when all that was shot were bullseye targets (and still are for precision pistol). She is beginning to shoot action pistol with my boys and I so we will do that version instead.

I'll let you know if I find a source. You can buy them from the big target companies at about $16 per hundred plus shipping for the paper versions … but I'm cheap and have lot's of scratch paper with a blank side on which to lazer print targets!

I'm looking for a source of printable AP-2 reduced targets for the pistol qualifiers. The program has changed since a few years ago when all that was shot were bullseye targets (and still are for precision pistol). She is beginning to shoot action pistol with my boys and I so we will do that version instead.

I'll let you know if I find a source. You can buy them from the big target companies at about $16 per hundred plus shipping for the paper versions … but I'm cheap and have lot's of scratch paper with a blank side on which to lazer print targets!

Awesome! Let me know if u find something
Thanks for all your help

Been there. Done that. Most printer paper has long fibers and is pretty tough so when you shoot them they get rips rather than neat holes. For my money? Buy targets. Much easier to see. Worth the money

For this type of shooting rips are fine and can be minimized by attaching the target to a clean cardboard backer.

Where clean holes are important, such as when I'm printing targets to use with my Olympic grade 10m air rifle, I use 100 pound stock. This leaves very clean edges and is still cheaper than buying factory targets. And I can print downsized targets that are the right size to shoot at say 6m, which nicely fits my living room and is much warmer ann drier than outside in the winter!

I've found a copy or the AP2 target that's used at 15 yards for several of the pistol disciplines. The base of the target should be 5 inches across. If you cut out the shapes removing the black borders you will have a properly sized target … at least on the two printers I have at home..

Okay apparently I can't just insert a file? Like a word document or a PDF? I'll keep looking to see how to do this, but in the meantime PM me an email address and I'll send you a copy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top