JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had such a hard time finding a NRA Training Counselor in Washington that I thought I'd share what I've found.

Western Washington
Shaun Curtain: Shaun Curtain - Training / Instructor Certification
I have taken Shaun's instructor classes for the disciplines of Pistol and Rifle. Instruction was professional and well presented as he's been polishing his act for 18 years :) It appears that most of his classes are held at Clark Rifle Range.

I am signed up for Shaun's Personal Protection Instructor class in September, 2011 :)

Eastern Washington
R. Theron Cammer / Alternative Ammo
Pasco, WA.
I've recently gotten a mailing from this guy but haven't yet taken any of his classes. He is offering a wide range of instructor classes and can be contacted by phone.
Home (509) 542-0504 / Cell (509) 528-1507

here's something we hope you really enjoy:

<broken link removed>

all instructor training course in western WA.

Yes. That's where I started my search. It was pretty bleak for the Eastern part of both Washington and Oregon. When I did find a Counselor listed, they had let their own certification lapse :(

Why do you want to take NRA instructor's classes?
That seems to be a rather "trollish" question. :(
What's "trollish" about it? I am just curious why you want to take NRA instructors classes. I though the question seemed simple enough. If you're not comfortable answering it, that's your business, but seems unkind and a tad neurotic to call the question "trollish." Whatever floats your boat though.

There's also credibility with the NRA Certification. In the classes I've taken, there have been well qualified firearms instructors who sought the certificate because students and potential employers had asked for their NRA certs.

When I applied for my Oregon non-resident "CCW" they were more interested in a NRA course than in my other training.

There are many reasons why people prefer NRA courses, but the principal reasons are that the NRA courses have been refined over many years, so are quite complete. The course content is the same, no matter where you take the course, or who from.

Of course, individual instructors vary and some will add their own flair (or otherwise) to the course, but the core sylabus is the same.

Many states (including Oregon) require some level of training certification before issuing a concealed handgun permit. These states almost invariably require the training to be delivered by either a law enforcement or NRA trainer.

I will be offering NRA instruction for pistol, range safety, and the Refuse to be a victim seminar when I return home from Afghanistan for good, through my surplus shop in Vancouver. I also have some employees who are certified for the RTBAV course, pistol instructor, and in range safety. We are also working on getting our instructors certified to teach CPR and blood-borne pathogens.

If one doesn't have time for the full NRA pistol course, we can offer a shorter course tailored for the Oregon Concealed Handgun License.

I took my CCW class about a month ago. The guy was NRA certified. That being said, that class consisted of 2 45 minute videos and told us that if we had any questions on firearms laws we should refer to a web site although he couldn't remember what the website was. Afterwards he printed out our cards and sent us on our way. Kind of wondering if there isn't something wrong with this picture.

I took my CCW class about a month ago. The guy was NRA certified. That being said, that class consisted of 2 45 minute videos and told us that if we had any questions on firearms laws we should refer to a web site although he couldn't remember what the website was. Afterwards he printed out our cards and sent us on our way. Kind of wondering if there isn't something wrong with this picture.

I'd expect the instructor to offer more than hitting a play button. Websites also vary greatly in the reliability of their information.

Nothing wrong there.
Oregon only requires a safety course and not full blown concealed carry training. Sheriff's tend to prefer the class be taught by a NRA Certified Instructor but there is no requirement for a NRA sanctioned class. Had you taken a bonafide NRA pistol class, there would have been a lot more to it.

The safety requirement is the key intent in the Oregon CHL class. Last I checked ORS 166, it required that the instructor be NRA certified, but not that the class consist of NRA-sanctioned course content. So you can take the NRA pistol course, or you can take an abbreviated course that doesn't come with the NRA certification.

I don think it's rather cheesy that an instructor would charge you the full price to watch a video. This is an important subject, and any instructor worth paying should be giving you the best benefit that they can- including some serious discussion of the ethics and law of the force continuum and force escalation. Not just a video.

NRA certified instructors are only one way to satisfy the requirements. It seems the most prevalent requirement is that handgun safety is a component of the course. Seems to be a lot less than what I would require if it were my choice! I am a firm believer however that these requirements are better than nothing and that 99.99 percent of CHL holders are good, law abiding folks.

Refer to ORS 166.291 for further: https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

While I think safety training is a good idea for an individual to choose, I don't agree that there should be a legal requirement for it, because there are many ways other than going to a credentialed instructor to learn the same skills. Generally when a credential is legally required, it is not for the benefit of the trainee or the general public, but to limit competition and benefit the trainer's industry.

While I think safety training is a good idea for an individual to choose, I don't agree that there should be a legal requirement for it, because there are many ways other than going to a credentialed instructor to learn the same skills. Generally when a credential is legally required, it is not for the benefit of the trainee or the general public, but to limit competition and benefit the trainer's industry.

Glad you put the word generally in because I completely disagree with this premise.

I've been an NRA Training Counselor for ten years and an NRA Certified Instructor for twenty. I am also an NRA Chief Range Safety Officer and will shortly be an NRA RTBAV Regional Counselor.
I teach people to become NRA Certified Instructors/Range Safety Officers for ALL of the civilian courses, on a two-year rotating schedule.
My next scheduled course is Shotgun, starting on June 7th, followed by RTBAV Instructor starting July 12th.
I teach as a public service, not to make money. My courses are also significantly longer than the minimum NRA requirement, as I feel that my job is to teach you what you can use, not just the minimum to become qualified.
Most of my courses start on Friday evening and continue through either Saturday (all day) or through Saturday and Sunday, depending on the length of the course.
For information, the best way to contact me is via email, at [email protected]. I will send you a current list of scheduled courses, plus a LOT of information regarding NRA courses that will answer the majority of your questions.
Even if you have no interest in taking my courses, if you'd just like the information I'd be glad to send it to you. Please specify, however, if you only want the information brochure because I send potential students many other items.
Thanks!

I had such a hard time finding a NRA Training Counselor in Washington that I thought I'd share what I've found.

Western Washington
Shaun Curtain: Shaun Curtain - Training / Instructor Certification
I have taken Shaun's instructor classes for the disciplines of Pistol and Rifle. Instruction was professional and well presented as he's been polishing his act for 18 years :) It appears that most of his classes are held at Clark Rifle Range.

I am signed up for Shaun's Personal Protection Instructor class in September, 2011 :)

Eastern Washington
R. Theron Cammer / Alternative Ammo
Pasco, WA.
I've recently gotten a mailing from this guy but haven't yet taken any of his classes. He is offering a wide range of instructor classes and can be contacted by phone.
Home (509) 542-0504 / Cell (509) 528-1507

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads