JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Endorsed the National Firearms Act of 1934

Endorsed the Gun Control Act of 1968

Stood down on the machinegun ban in 1986

And most importantly, endorsed and advocated NICS.

on top of all that they're HQ is in Quantico, Virginia.

The NRA is looking out for the NRA..like most huge lobbying groups.. When it is in the NRA's best interests..to abandon gun owners' interests..they don't hesitate for a second.. I too pay my dues..as a requirement of membership at my range..but otherwise..I wouldn't give 'em a dime.. If you're willing to compromise ANY of my rights..you're NOT on my side..period..

Endorsed the National Firearms Act of 1934

Endorsed the Gun Control Act of 1968

Stood down on the machinegun ban in 1986

And most importantly, endorsed and advocated NICS.

on top of all that they're HQ is in Quantico, Virginia.

+1, although I don't think the HQ location is relevant unless there is something else to mention about it.

The NRA is looking out for the NRA..like most huge lobbying groups.. When it is in the NRA's best interests..to abandon gun owners' interests..they don't hesitate for a second.. I too pay my dues..as a requirement of membership at my range..but otherwise..I wouldn't give 'em a dime.. If you're willing to compromise ANY of my rights..you're NOT on my side..period..

That's exactly how I feel. Except, I don't give them money now, and won't be anytime soon.

I think thier problem is that they got too big and greedy.They have all turned into polititions.

Politicians. :s0155:

While all of that may be true, it if weren't for the NRA, our gun rights would have been gone ages ago. It will take a long time for another organization to gain the clout and capability of the NRA. In the meantime, we need to keep appropriate pressure on the NRA so they can improve, not try to tear them down. That would be shooting ourselves in the foot (pun intended).

Sure, they are politicians---GOOD! They need to DEAL with politicians and I want the NRA to have ALL those skills. So what if they are in Suburban Washington DC (Quantico, Virginia)?---The real estate was affordable and able to be developed; better than exorbitant office building rentals in DC! They built an office building for a PERMANENT presence in politics. You think that some mythical proximity to the FBI is an undue influence? I think the influence works the other way---and I have actually MET a few FBI agents. Somebody needs a new tinfoil hat over this supposed land proximity issue.

You want legal full-auto guns on the street? I don't, and I have no problem with the NRA "cave-in" on that issue. I am happy that it is a serious crime without proper licenses. I have no problem with people having a complicated legal process to get a full-auto weapon. The NRA WILL make a sane compromise to protect the overall right to keep and bear arms.

I LIKE the NICS! I prefer a private sale and I am proud of doing some when I am sure of the buyer or seller. Nevertheless, I am glad that dealers must clear the background of buyers, and I am glad that I can do one myself if I am unsure of a buyer! Ya, ya, it takes five minutes and cost ten bucks for that option---but you can actually be sure that you are not selling to an illegal or a felon or a certified nutter. Your rights are not infringed unless you think the background check is never a good idea.

You probably think that the leadership of the NRA is hereditary like North Korea. Well, every single NRA member is SENT a Ballot for officer elections with provided candidate statements. Vote somebody out, or run for NRA office yourself. The fact is, they answer their mail, and you can contact all of them! Have you heard them SPEAK!

Who does it serve to malign the NRA with unfounded innuendoes? Who DO you support at the national level to fight for Second Ammendment issues? THIS NRA leadership has brought the NRA membership from less than a million to over FIVE MILLION members in only a decade or so. Even Bill Clinton admitted that the NRA defeated his worst anti-Second Ammendment efforts and shooed in a pro-gun Congressional majority.

What, exactly, is the purpose of this original post?......................elsullo :mad:

I understand that some people here do not agree with every single tenet of the NRA. That being said, the NRA is our best chance to preserve and protect our 2nd Amentment rights. Many here have advocated for joining a similar group such as the Oregon Firearms Federation, which is fine, but has nowhere near the political clout of the NRA.

I think of it in these terms: When I was growing up, my stepfather worked in a paper mill. He was a union man all his life, and the union in the mill he worked at was quite effective in representing the workers. During his career, he was faced with the decision to move to a different mill, or lose his job altogether. He made the wise decision and moved to Minnesota and worked there for twn years until retirement. At theat mill, there was a union presence, but instead of one union representing the interests of all the workers, there were ten unions who could not stop squabbling amongst themselves to get anything done in their dealings with the corporation. The result was that the company was able to walk all over the workers because the unions had no power, being as fragmented as they were. To make a long story short, it was a case of United we stand, divided we fall.

Yes, you may not agree with everything about the NRA, but the OFF and other organizations like it just do not have the backing, finances, lobbying power, or members to get anything done in (federal) government.

GOA --- need I say more? The folks at the GOA have it right and if we stood behind them instead of behind the NRA we would be much safer. Unfortunately 99% of people associate guns with the NRA.

I don't like how many gun clubs require you to be an NRA member- isn't it enough that you are a GOA member? If you know the GOA - you know damn well that they will fight dirtbag politicians on gun restrictions no matter what- no compromises!

NRA is certainly in the government's pocket. It is almost permanent division of the Republican party. The Democrats and Republicans are just two wings on the same bird of prey. They are playing the American people against each other. The NRA is just another part of the larger government psy-op.

What, exactly, is the purpose of this original post?......................elsullo :mad:

Well, it was phrased as a question. :eek:

I personally don't know how honest/crooked the NRA is, as I only joined so I could become a member of a local shooting range- but let me say that ANY organization that gets caught up in the politics of D.C. can eventually become a victim of them.

As for their location, I would give any company HQ'd in Quantico an extra bit of skepticism. Bush made it way easy to invade your/my/there privacies without oversight, so I'd think anyone in the FBI's backyard would get first spot in line.

GOA --- need I say more? The folks at the GOA have it right and if we stood behind them instead of behind the NRA we would be much safer. Unfortunately 99% of people associate guns with the NRA.

I don't like how many gun clubs require you to be an NRA member- isn't it enough that you are a GOA member? If you know the GOA - you know damn well that they will fight dirtbag politicians on gun restrictions no matter what- no compromises!

NRA is certainly in the government's pocket. It is almost permanent division of the Republican party. The Democrats and Republicans are just two wings on the same bird of prey. They are playing the American people against each other. The NRA is just another part of the larger government psy-op.

I'm a life member of both...

... NRA is more active...

... GOA cries wolf a lot...

The landmark Heller case - which one brought that one to trial? NRA or GOA?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top