JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NRA-ILA | Limits on Doctors: Guns in Home Not Relevant
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/in-the-news/2014/9/limits-on-doctors-guns-in-home-not-relevant.aspx
Limits on Doctors: Guns in Home Not Relevant
http://www.theledger.com/article/20140913/EDIT01/140919746/1036/edit03?p=all&tc=pgall

THE LEDGER
Published: Saturday, September 13, 2014 at 12:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, September 12, 2014 at 11:54 p.m.

Picture this: You've never been arrested for anything. You don't even have a
speeding ticket or accident on your record. You've never had to call the police or appear in court, other than to serve as a juror. You are the model citizen.
Now add this to the picture you're painting: You take your 8-year-old daughter to the pediatrician for a routine physical. Nothing's wrong. Nothing's happened.
Just routine stuff: Check height and weight. Look down the throat and in the ears. Poke a little here and prod a little there.
And then, to you: Do you have any guns in your house? Guns? What does that have to do with my child's health? you wonder.
You are not alone.
In late July, a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned an injunction in the "Docs vs. Glocks" case that, for a time, allowed doctors to ask people whether they had guns in their homes.
That injunction came on an appeal from doctors after the Florida Legislature passed, and Gov. Rick Scott signed, a 2011 law that discouraged doctors from asking such questions unless they were relevant to a patient's health.
Violation of the Firearm Owners' Privacy Act could trigger penalties ranging from fines to revocation of a doctor's license to practice.
The majority opinion in the 2-1 ruling said the law, backed by the National Rifle Association, "has only an incidental effect on physicians' speech."
As it stands now, doctors cannot ask questions about gun ownership.
But they have once again appealed the ruling, this time to the full 11th Circuit.
They have support from gun-control advocates and the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, which was "astounded" by the ruling.
"It's a sad day when judges tell doctors what is in the best interest of their patients," executive director Howard Simon said in a statement.
In a dissenting opinion, Circuit Judge Charles Wilson wrote that the law puts a "gag order" on physicians.
We say: Gag away.
Under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, people have a right to bear arms.
Responsible adults know how to use their weapons and understand why they should keep locks on them to protect their children.
Doctors have no right to ask whether adults in a home own guns.
What happens to those who don't want to answer?
Do the doctors deny them or their children care?
What about those who just don't think it's a doctor's place to ask such a question — will they lie?
Will a doctor then show up at their house one day, wanting to do a search?
The fact that doctors ever had this right is absurd. It's not their business.
It's no one's business.
Doctors and their organizations, the ACLU and everyone else who has joined this appeal, or plans to, should stop wasting everyone's time and money and let this law stand.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

It's called a boundary violation and you can sue them over it since it's outside the Dr's realm of expertise. How can they teach or even ask about guns if they know nothing about them?

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

"You know, Doc, that question has absolutely no relevance to my health or that of my children." That is how I always answer that question.

If the opposition gets away with this, it will be child manipulation again........they will ask the kids most likely right in front of the parent............

they did this in the late 80's-early 90's "just say no" they had the teachers preaching anti drugs messages & horror stories of all sorts to scare the crap out of our children, & told the kids their parents were sick from taking dope or prescription drugs....and couldnt help them selves anymore and that they may die!!!!!

do any of your parents take marijuana or other drugs? tell us so we can save your mommy & daddy
I remember the manipulation all too well when my kids went thru pubic (indoctrination) school.

Ah, but what about freedom of speech? I should be able to ask and say what ever I want in the room with a patient. Do we really want to make government decide what we should say? You know, the same government that is trying to neuter the second amendment and has millions of US citizens on a terrorist watch list and got rid of Habeas corpus?

How about if your doctor asked you a question you dont like, lie? Or tell them to go F themselves. Or challenge them to a duel in the parking lot? I'd much rather you do that then try to make the government decide what I say in my office.

As I've said elsewhere, the studies show that if a doctor just asked the question, then more parents will not leave loaded guns around their 4 year old. There is no secret gun owner data collecting going on behind scenes. The question is to change the behavior of stupid people.

Some doctors would look at that data and say "If I ask my patients parents if they have guns in the home, I will save some children's lives." To them that is a noble task.

I see the data and say "why are these idiots allowed to have children if they are stupid enough to not secure a firearm around a child who is too young to know better"

How about asking parents about "sharp knives, drain cleaners, frayed electric cords, open 2nd story windows, etc."
Or, better yet, ask them if they beat their kids? Where do you draw the line.
How many children drown, get run over, compared to gun wounds.

My answer:

none-of-your-damn-business.png

They will not get a chance to ask another question, because at that point they will cease being my doctor.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

The doctors should be allowed to ask whatever they want.
The patients (parents) should be allowed to answer or not answer.
Not if I or my insurance is paying the bill they don't! It's still a "boundary violation" as it's out of their expertise.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

The doctors should be allowed to ask whatever they want.

Not in a million years. We are no yet in an inquisition.
Anyone can ask anything, but when it is on your dime, limits need to be held.

But if they insist, just baffle em with bull-pucky ! Feed em south end droppings.
and or just develop laryngitis. None of their business in other words.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top