JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, a safe can easily be overcome by anyone determined enough that has the time. Insurance is a no brainer.

When you see all the breaking into safe videos, safes are laying down on the floor. But if you mount the safe right-way, it would be very difficult to do it. (almost impossible) Also you can always add to home insurance.

When you see all the breaking into safe videos, safes are laying down on the floor. But if you mount the safe right-way, it would be very difficult to do it. (almost impossible) Also you can always add to home insurance.

Don't fool yourself into a false sense of security. I once watched a locksmith zip open an industrial level safe in just a few minutes. The safe was an industrial level safe well above any gunsafe you are going to find.

My safes are to keep my measly collection of mostly modern guns out of the hands of your average opportunistic tweaker or dumb a$$ burglar . I don't have the any rare or well known collector firearms that someone would target me for. most people who know how to get into safes would not be looking at me. I'm more worried about fire cause the dip sticks trying to get my safes open would most likely set fire to the house trying.

Okay. So: are we talking safe integrity, or NRA insurance integrity? I have safes. I also have NRA's (membership-supplied) insurance. Two points to offer:

1) A gun safe is a metal box. Persons equipped to enter a metal box will enter that metal box very quickly. (Safes thwart unprepared thieves. The largest propensity of thieves are unprepared.) DO NOT believe that your "high-dollar" safe, purporting stronger lock mechanisms, drill-proof lock, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum is any deterrent to an equipped person. They will not deal with the door or the lock. They will deal with the wall thickness, and deal with it in short order. FIRE PREVENTION is a good addtitional investment.

2) The NRA insurance is just like any other insurance. I hate it. It is a "scam" just like any other insurance is a "scam". You bet against yourself, put your money up, hope for the best, while your return comes with the worst. Read your policy, place your bet. Same as you do with your car, your home, your life. Chances are, THEY (the insurance company) wins. This is the basis for their industry. Occasionally, you come out ahead. You NEVER come out ahead on things that have irreplaceable value: your home, guns you hold dear and lives. If the NRA is willing to offer some form of insurance with their membership at no additonal fee, I will (and have) consider it a plus, with reading the policy, and understanding the coverage. I would not buy additional insurance endorsed by them without comparing other offerings, and reading those policies (this is common sense). NO insurance is risk-based for price. Insurance is profit-based for price. I need only to examine my coverage for numerous vehicles, priced as if I drive all of them at once to know this. Insurance is at the base level a gambler's venture, stacked at the bookie's benefit. It has paid off for me, but only when I fight for what I have read and know to be my agreement. Fortunately, I place my bet with a bookie that holds my reputation for longevity, and will not relinquish my longevity by denying a claim. We both come to the settlement table with this knowledge, and so far, he has not failed to recognize my continued placement of my bet.

I have never collected on a claim from NRA's insurance, but I did file once. I lost my extra cylinder for my Ruger Single Six. NRA was willing to cover it. In the period during which I obtained the forms and filled them out, I located the cylinder. (My fault entirely: I had merely misplaced it). This is my entire experience with them, but a favorable one, even though not seen to fruition. Small potatoes, but with a short narrative supplied, they were willing. I would have won the bet.

Okay. (again)

I clicked on the link (admittedly after my initial post). Fast talking guy with multiple genital-oriented forward written displays shows his all-modern firearm ownership photographic display,and basically recommends shopping for insurance. Wow! Who'd uv ever thunken'd it?

And the merit badge for displaying the obvious (with unnecessary groin-oriented attempts at humor) goes to.....

The Historic Firearms, Collectibles and Sporting Arms program at Eastern Insurance

Most renters and homeowners insurance has a $5,000 max coverage. If you own a couple of rifles then you are probably ok. The annual cost for decent insurance is less than one cheap gun.

Regarding the NRA, they offer 1/3rd the coverage for the same price as these guys and the NRA is miserable to deal with and has lousy customer service. If you are spending the money, buy good service. I tried them for a year, I had to call to renew, got threatened with a cancel if I did not "hurry up" and got smart comments from a gender challenged loser. So I went elsewhere.

I guess folks, including me, see what they want to see. I don't think the intention of this thread really has anything to do with insurance, but is an excuse to bash the NRA.

I've found that the premium on my NRA insurance is a bargain, compared to a rider on my homeowners policy. I also very much like not having to itemize the guns I have insured thru NRA Armscare.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top