JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing to keep in mind is that the number one enemy of gun owners, the US Government, has an unlimited budget (our tax dollars at work!) to fight us (and the NRA). So I suppose that it takes a lot of money for the NRA to stand up to them.

You are so right! The Government has an unlimited budget, which suggests that the NRA (or any other group) can't stop anything, but can only slow down the process. If all it took was money, 'we the people' have already lost, and I'd like to believe that's not the case. But maybe I'm wrong.

More than a group 'fighting for our rights', I perceive the NRA as a self serving group, most interested in issues that provide them with publicity to justify their existence and provide them with a cause to garner more money. I bet the NRA executives all cheered, and gave themselves a raise, when the Obama administration won the election.

I can help thinking that the issues could all be resolved, if that was their true intent. But, if there were no, or fewer 'issues', the NRA would be less significant and less relevant, which translates into fewer dollars for them. In other words, the only way they can keep the money coming in, is by keeping the pot stirred, and make sure that none of the issues ever really gets resolved.

Anyway, as I said before, they have done some good, and I will continue my membership. I just wish they'd ask for my support once a year, and stop pan-handling for the 12 months in between!!

Hey Frog,
You can tell the NRA NOT to send you all those offers you know? Just call them and they will take you off the list. It's simple! We did it!

And, as you already probably know, the Supreme Court just agreed to hear whether the 2nd Amendment pertains to individual states...... and IF they rule in "our favor" you will find out whether the NRA is needed any longer in the level they are now...or not.... because they just might not have as an important a job (just kidding :).

Also SAF and others are heading up the fight along with the NRA so I guess we'll see.

Without the NRA or other Organizations like them (SAF, GOA, JPFO) we definitely will loose everything! (as far as our gun rights) because we know you and I probably aren't going back to Washington and fight full time are we?

First off, let me preface this by saying that I'm both an an NRA life member and a GOA life member. I honestly think both serve their purposes.

Do I think the NRA is in bed with Feinstein and co? Absolutely not. That's a ridiculous charge GOA uses to boost membership numbers. GOA is "no compromise", but they're also "no money" and effectively "no clout" in Washington – beyond a few individual representatives that were already onboard anyway.

Sadly enough I’ve seen gun owners fall into two camps – those who think they don’t go far enough and those who think they’re “too radical” – it all depends on who they’ve been listening to.

One important thing to consider, though, is the fact that the NRA has the money to push legal cases forward. That's why they're demonized in the media so much - because the anti crowd sees them as a legitimate threat. The landmark Heller case was funded largely with NRA money. The upcoming McDonald case I believe is mostly Second Amendment Foundation if memory serves, but you can bet that the NRA and GOA will most likely both file briefs.

GOA is good for whipping up the base, but that’s really about it. They just don’t have the resources to move outside that role at this point. The NRA on the other hand is aware of GOA, and seems to be taking a much harder line these days on Second Amendment cases. The Heller case finally got the government of the United States to admit that the Second Amendment affirms an individual right – just like the Framers intended. In short, competition is good.

I personally support the NRA, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation and the Oregon Firearms Federation when I can. We need to make sure that all of these organizations are well-funded to ensure the future of our Second Amendment rights.

First off, what do you expect from the NRA? I am pro 2nd Amendment and will support any orginization that supports my Right to keep and bear arms. Too political? LOL! In what arena do you think they are working in, can you say politics? My two cents, join every group that supports the 2nd Amendment and send them extra finiances when yours allow you too. You want to keep your Constitutional Rights? Than support the only amendment that has the teeth to bite back and do so by supporting orginizations like the NRA & GOA to just name two.

Yes, the NRA is good and bad. The NRA has the NRA's interest to serve, not yours or mine. Fortunately, their interest and our interest USUALLY are one and the same. Not always though. The NRA needs the gun grabbing politicians so that it can exist and grow, in the same way the church needs the devil in order to exist and grow. There is a symbiotic relationship there. I am grateful that the NRA exists, but I understand that when push comes to shove, the NRA serves only the NRA.

Well, personally, I believe that the NRA needs us and we need them. Maybe we are like a married couple. We don't always agree but try to do what is best for both. Hopefully that makes it a Win-Win situation.

Yes, I've read them all now.
Incredible! Whining about paying dues...actually putting your money "where your mouth is".How original; Now
Cut the crap and get out there and JOIN.
We will All lose our rights if we ALL don't JOIN together and fight these liberal morons by supporting our own political forces. This forum doesn't cut it on it's own. There's alot more to being a responsible gun owner than just talking a good talk. You must "Walk the Walk" and support these groups with $$, freedom ain't free!
Years ago I bought a life membership to the NRA...then upgraded it just a couple yrs ago* and* I will still support GOA and SAF. (we must lead by example!)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top