JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another "panic alert" for all those GOA bashers, now you can bash OFF...:eek:

From: Oregon Firearms Federation <[email protected]> [Add to Address Book]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [OFF Alert] NRA CUTS DEAL TO SILENCE GRASS ROOTS GUN GROUPS.
Date: Jun 15, 2010 12:33 AM

Oregon Firearms Federation
PO Box 556
Canby, OR 97013

Voice: (503) 263-5830

http://www.oregonfirearms.org

OFF ALERT 06.14.10

Will OFF be silenced?

Dear Friend of Liberty,

A recent alert by Gun Owners of America has had some people wondering if GOA was overreacting. It would seem not.

HR 5175 was the subject of the following alert by GOA;

http://gunowners.org/a060810.htm

This alert is now somewhat dated because it mentions the damage that might be caused to groups like GOA and the NRA. But now it seems the NRA has made a deal to protect itself while throwing organizations like OFF under the bus.

<broken link removed>

http://tinyurl.com/3ydsc65

We urge you to take a moment and use GOA's web site <broken link removed> to contact your representatives and let them know that you oppose any efforts to silence your organization.

Thank you.

One link to a libertarian magazine that's philosophically opposed to any restrictions on special interest groups. Another to a special interest group. Impressive.

The more I see of them, the more I'm convinced that OFF's best talent is crying wolf in a sensationalized manner, all in the interest of raising money.

I'll never believe another thing they say. I'm completely tired of their ch@t.

Am I the only one who's perceiving them as being full of BS?

As a law student that is a member of a "special interest group," you should be careful about throwing those stones Zach.
Face it, WE are a "special interest" group. Albeit, one that has the 2ndA on our side, but one that needs all the support we can get as forces that seek to disarm us gain traction.

If people don't recognize this legislation as a means to cement incumbents in their positions, they aren't dealing in reality. Especially with the way the current political wind(s) is/are blowing. Incumbents will most likely get dumped in unprecedented numbers this November and they are clutching at straws to keep their cushy jobs.

This bill is about reducing accountability (or culpability in some cases) with voters, and no such legislation silencing their opposition has a proper place in our republic.

As a law student that is a member of a "special interest group," you should be careful about throwing those stones Zach.
Face it, WE are a "special interest" group. Albeit, one that has the 2ndA on our side, but one that needs all the support we can get as forces that seek to disarm us gain traction.

I have no problems with "special interest groups" in general, I'm just pointing out that the sources cited in this OFF letter are hardly disinterested parties.

It made it out of committee. Wahoo. Now it has to make it past the House - maybe. It will NEVER pass in the Senate and even if it did it would be repealed in January.

Then there's the Supreme Court which has already tossed similar anti-free speech laws.

Time for a nap, yawn. OFF is at it again.

I have no problems with "special interest groups" in general, I'm just pointing out that the sources cited in this OFF letter are hardly disinterested parties.

Keep watching. I'm convinced that OFF will sensationalize anything to get contributions. Anything.

Obviouly it's best to wait until it's signed into law before you complain. Off shouldn't say anything until our guns are actually taken away! This anti gun stuff is just imagined.

Obviouly it's best to wait until it's signed into law before you complain. Off shouldn't say anything until our guns are actually taken away! This anti gun stuff is just imagined.

Please show me JUST ONE PLACE where this supposed new law takes guns away? Please show me JUST ONE PLACE where it's aimed at gun owners any more than any other group?

Geez. Follow the money, honey, especially where OFF is concerned.

Please show me JUST ONE PLACE where this supposed new law takes guns away? Please show me JUST ONE PLACE where it's aimed at gun owners any more than any other group?

Geez. Follow the money, honey, especially where OFF is concerned.

I don't know. I am not prepared to call b.s. on it yet. The administration very much wants to pass the fairness doctrine. Why would this be a stretch? We all know that mainstream media doesn't report on this kind of stuff anymore. If there is truth to it, where else would you hear about it?

I don't know. I am not prepared to call b.s. on it yet. The administration very much wants to pass the fairness doctrine. Why would this be a stretch? We all know that mainstream media doesn't report on this kind of stuff anymore. If there is truth to it, where else would you hear about it?

Did you read the link? It's not about guns in any way other than everyone gets caught in an anti-free speech trap. That's it, and that's if it is ever even considered by the House and Senate.

You don't have to call BS. I'll do it for you. I see OFF as full of BS. :)

One link to a libertarian magazine that's philosophically opposed to any restrictions on . Another to a special interest group. Impressive.

Please point us to any pro-gun liberal organizations that fight for our 2nd amendment rights, that has any clout, doesn't ask for contributions, has a successful track record of keeping gun owners informed of any anti-gun legislation. Please supply all links to these trusted non-special interest groups/organizations so we all can be impressed ................:s0155:

Did you read the link? It's not about guns in any way other than everyone gets caught in an anti-free speech trap. That's it, and that's if it is ever even considered by the House and Senate.

That seems like a pretty damn big deal to me! It it stifles freedom of speech, it is a big deal regardless of who it impacts specifically.

Not everyone get's caught in the anti-free speech trap. Large entities are exempt from the rules. That's a problem to me. Exempting anyones freedom of speech is b.s.

Please explain why the NRA negotiated to be exempt from this legislation

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38500.html

House Democrats have offered to exempt the National Rifle Association from a sweeping campaign-finance bill, removing a major obstacle in the push to roll back the Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling.

The NRA had objected to some of the strict financial disclosure provisions that Democrats have proposed for corporations and politically active nonprofits and that had kept moderate, pro-gun Democrats from backing the legislation.

But if the NRA signs off on the deal, the bill could come to the House floor as early as this week. The NRA said it would not comment until specific legislative language is revealed.

An NRA official also noted that the group would not be supporting the bill but would not actively oppose it if the deal with the Democratic leadership holds up.

The legislation in question is designed to restore more campaign finance rules in the wake of last year’s Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission decision, which removed prohibitions on corporati

Please explain why the NRA negotiated to be exempt from this legislation

First, you have to look at the legislation. Congress wants it to rollback the decision by the Supreme Court on campaign financing rules. The problem with what the Supreme Court did was that it opened the doors to elections being bought. Imagine powerful, deep pocket interests with views that are adverse to yours putting up a candidate and not having to divulge that the candidate was being funded (via corporations) almost exclusively by interests with ties to China. -Many would consider that a problem. That can be done right now without any problem so the current law needs to be fixed.

With the exemption, you're looking at the NRA's desire for self-preservation not a desire to "silence grass roots gun groups." If you would look at the legislation it does not just pertain to gun groups. It covers a lot of groups regardless of their politics. And the NRA is not supporting the bill's passage. It's just with the exemption they are not going to oppose it because it no longer pertains to them. Is the NRA being selfish? Absolutely, but they're not going to fund a fight and flex political muscle to protect other groups they don't care about. That's normal. When did you see the M.A.D.D. deciding to fight some piece of legislation on behalf of the NRA?

The exemption the NRA lobbied for covers any group that has over one million dues paying members that has been in existence for over ten years. The Sierra Club also falls into that category.

No one is debating your dedication to guns, but you're being manipulated. GOA hits the panic button and you turn into Chicken Little shouting, the "Sky is falling!" regardless of what the facts are.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top