JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In regards to training....
It is wise to tailor the lesson to the student's needs and or situation.
( Bold and Italics added , as the above is often overlooked when teaching a class )

For instance :
How I was taught to clear a building or a room , while in the Army , is a bit different than how I would do so now or teach someone on how to do that in their home.

Also something to consider is how "new" the student is.
Someone who is new to a idea or shooting style , no matter if they have been shooting for years , may easily get lost with what the trainer is trying to teach.

Lots of new terms , methods and actions , when tossed about , with no care for student to take in and process what they are , can lead to frustration.
Andy

Last Edited:
Don't forget, there is SOOOO much more than tactical shooting skills to learn (and enjoy I hope!) with a gun.

"Been there done that" could easily be, oh, the Olympics or a National title etc. Not every instructor, or student, wants to teach/learn how to kill.
Absolutely true. Whether you are a competitive shooter, a big game hunter or a Green Beret, the fundamentals of marksmanship and safe weapons handling are always the same. I think any training rooted in those fundamentals - including NRA training - is a great start. USPSA is looking good to me, and of course there is the CMP.

LOL, not everyone wants to learn how to clear a room. In fact most people just want to learn how to operate a firearm safely and accurately. NRA certs are plenty for that. Most of the (free) informal training I do is "Hey my friend is buying / has bought their first gun and wants to learn to shoot it." The material covered in the NRA basic courses is exactly what these folks are looking for. In fact, once you get your cert, you might want to volunteer for a couple of Basic Pistol or Basic Rifle classes. It's a great introduction to instruction and it's very rewarding to watch people gain confidence and enthusiasm as they progress through the class. They also have a CCW class now that I think is pretty good, again, for ordinary people, not professionals.

Last Edited:
LOL, not everyone wants to learn how to clear a room. In fact most people just want to learn how to operate a firearm safely and accurately. NRA certs are plenty for that. Most of the (free) informal training I do is "Hey my friend is buying / has bought their first gun and wants to learn to shoot it." The material covered in the NRA basic courses is exactly what these folks are looking for. In fact, once you get your cert, you might want to volunteer for a couple of Basic Pistol or Basic Rifle classes. It's a great introduction to instruction and it's very rewarding to watch people gain confidence and enthusiasm as the progress through the class. They also have a CCW class now that I think is pretty good, again, for ordinary people, not professionals.
I took an advanced CCW class from a guy awhile back [ the class qualified for renewal] , I'll bet there was not three paragraph's on door kicking, house clearing, tactical reloads, tactical backflip, etc... Probably one of the best classes I have taken.
It was mostly on safely carrying a gun in and around family and the public. safe ways to secure your gun in your home, in your car, at work, and while traveling.
He spent a lot of time on what goes on in the bathroom, evidently that's where a lot of negligent discharges take place!
He spent a good amount of time on holsters and what makes both good and bad ones.
And he spent a good amount of time on administrative handling, getting in and out of cars, He talked about how to keep people from standing too close to you without being rude! And using things like a shopping cart as a barrier.
He did have NRA credentials but did not teach the NRA course.
It was a class that I learned a few new things that I still use today! DR

I took an advanced CCW class from a guy awhile back [ the class qualified for renewal] , I'll bet there was not three paragraph's on door kicking, house clearing, tactical reloads, tactical backflip, etc... Probably one of the best classes I have taken.
It was mostly on safely carrying a gun in and around family and the public. safe ways to secure your gun in your home, in your car, at work, and while traveling.
He spent a lot of time on what goes on in the bathroom, evidently that's where a lot of negligent discharges take place!
He spent a good amount of time on holsters and what makes both good and bad ones.
And he spent a good amount of time on administrative handling, getting in and out of cars, He talked about how to keep people from standing too close to you without being rude! And using things like a shopping cart as a barrier.
He did have NRA credentials but did not teach the NRA course.
It was a class that I learned a few new things that I still use today! DR
Practical, real-world stuff. This is probably about the third or fourth course a new gun owner should take. Entry level (then practice), CCW (more practice) and then a course like this.

And he's absolutely right about bathroom gun handling. It doesn't get covered enough. People will put the gun down on a tank or shelf and forget it, or knock it over and try to catch it, or even try to hold it between their knees. Crazy. There are techniques for retaining control of your IWB gun with your pants down and both hands occupied but most folks don't think about it until the first time the turtle comes calling.

Ive begun taking my first steps into instrucing over the last year. I did get my NRA RSO cert and now eyeballing the instructors certs. I will preface with the simple fact I am NOT a fan of the NRA but in terms of training, instructing and bgeing vetted out, I have to wonder if their certs are worth it?

Two of my personal trainers ( LE and a professional) do NOT have any type of NRA certs and are sucessful in what they do, both say NRA certs are about useless. However, they both have an extensive background in firearms. As a NORMAL civ, I have to wonder if these certs would help me pursue instruction or not. Any input would be great.
NRA is a joke. If you want to take some serious instructor courses for certifications, get your private security guard card and go to the Private Security Handgun Instructor course at the WA CJTC. Taught by LE firearms instructors and it's full of great stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top