JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive begun taking my first steps into instrucing over the last year. I did get my NRA RSO cert and now eyeballing the instructors certs. I will preface with the simple fact I am NOT a fan of the NRA but in terms of training, instructing and bgeing vetted out, I have to wonder if their certs are worth it?

Two of my personal trainers ( LE and a professional) do NOT have any type of NRA certs and are sucessful in what they do, both say NRA certs are about useless. However, they both have an extensive background in firearms. As a NORMAL civ, I have to wonder if these certs would help me pursue instruction or not. Any input would be great.

I got a few of them, thinking it would at least be something on the wall for the customer to see I'm not completely useless.

But other than that, like any certificate, depends on whether the job calls for them. Not sure how someone can say something's useless and not done it, but okay, long as they're good at what they do, paper doesn't matter much.

Check your zip-code too. NRA has a page somewhere for that. Find instructors in your local area. Mine has about 200. Ask them.

At the very least, it's more education, and if it's good, that can't be bad. :)

Good luck in your pursuits!

f

frankswallpaper2018a.jpg

I got a few of them, thinking it would at least be something on the wall for the customer to see I'm not completely useless.

But other than that, like any certificate, depends on whether the job calls for them. Not sure how someone can say something's useless and not done it, but okay, long as they're good at what they do, paper doesn't matter much.

Check your zip-code too. NRA has a page somewhere for that. Find instructors in your local area. Mine has about 200. Ask them.

f

View attachment 877142
This is what Im leaning towards, in the end... more training, more education - FROM ALL SOURCES- is a good thing. Thank you for the reply!

NRA certs are worth something to some people, but you can't compare to some trainers out there that have extensive LE or Military training and / or firearm instructor certs...as NRA doesn't get into running around with your caboose on fire, which is all the rage, or teaching up to date shooting on the move, building clearing etc., when others it was their daily job.

There are instructors out there such as myself, Tom Givens and others that do a firearms instructor course...just not sure how accepted it is.

Ive begun taking my first steps into instrucing over the last year. I did get my NRA RSO cert and now eyeballing the instructors certs. I will preface with the simple fact I am NOT a fan of the NRA but in terms of training, instructing and bgeing vetted out, I have to wonder if their certs are worth it?

Two of my personal trainers ( LE and a professional) do NOT have any type of NRA certs and are sucessful in what they do, both say NRA certs are about useless. However, they both have an extensive background in firearms. As a NORMAL civ, I have to wonder if these certs would help me pursue instruction or not. Any input would be great.
I needed an NRA certificate to train a Boy Scout troop for their merit badges. The classes contain useful information.
Plus you also qualify for discounts with various firearm, optic and accessory makers.

I would say they're about as useful as ASE certifications. Cool piece of paper says you know some stuff but I don't think anyone outside a specific circle is gonna care much.

If they made you feel good, get em. Noting wrong with being proudly certified in something you want to be proudly certified in

Got my RSO and Rifle certification for BSA explorer/scout range training. It's good to have for liability reasons as it shows a baseline understanding of safety and shooting in general. In the wider scope of things your not going to make a career as an instructor with their certifications alone. There are too many experienced retired Leo's and military to compete against.

Got my RSO and Rifle certification for BSA explorer/scout range training. It's good to have for liability reasons as it shows a baseline understanding of safety and shooting in general. In the wider scope of things your not going to make a career as an instructor with their certifications alone. There are too many experienced retired Leo's and military to compete against.

Maybe.

Also maybe with all of the new firearms owners, may be a bit intimidated by some instructors if they come acrossed as geared more towards "operators" (or whatever terminology).

It "might" be a good time frame to build a decent client base/word of mouth from folks starting with zero firearms experience. As in how to charge a magazine, take down a handgun for cleaning etc...obviously while teaching & stressing all of the safety factors.

So I would wager inexperienced folks may be more inclined to lean towards NRA certified instructors vs those without, but having years of LEO/Military experience. NOT saying either is better, just which may gain newbies is all.

Maybe.

Also maybe with all of the new firearms owners, may be a bit intimidated by some instructors if they come acrossed as geared more towards "operators" (or whatever terminology).

It "might" be a good time frame to build a decent client base/word of mouth from folks starting with zero firearms experience. As in how to charge a magazine, take down a handgun for cleaning etc...obviously while teaching & stressing all of the safety factors.

So I would wager inexperienced folks may be more inclined to lean towards NRA certified instructors vs those without, but having years of LEO/Military experience. NOT saying either is better, just which may gain newbies is all.
From what I have observed it's a really competitive field to get into and I can certainly see your point regarding new shooters. That baseline resume will only go so far and eventually people will look for more advanced options. Might be a good side gig but I wouldn't quit my job to do it.

f

View attachment 877142

This is the most massive instance of self-doxing that I have ever seen on this website…. :s0131:

My address is public record. And the unique name doesn't make it any harder to find me.

Besides, I don't live in fear of what might happen. Just be prepared for if it does. :s0045:

You're so right about that 20-year old camera, but eh, it works. :s0092:
Still using an iPhone that's 5 versions old. I don't see much point in upgrading until needed.

NRA certification means the same thing as the NRA to me, ZERO.

Speaking for myself, unless an instructor has been there and done that I'm really not interested. I'm not just talking about S.W.A.T. cops or SOF guys but rather actual instructors to S.W.A.T. cops or SOF guys. There are plenty of guys out there that have done the job but aren't worth a damn when it comes teaching. That doesn't mean an individual needs to be former LE or military. For example, I would not hesitate to train with Scott Jedlinski, Rob Leatham or Taran Butler and none of them were door kickers.

I think these courses offer a good basic familiarization for folks without any other background in safe weapons handling. IMO, very few (if any) of these courses will get you to the same level of proficiency taught in the military or in the better LE agencies. NRA training is oriented towards competitive shooting and (to a lesser extent) practical shooting, but NOT tactical shooting. I first learned to shoot from my grandfather, and learned the 'science' (and art) of marksmanship in the military. Bottom line: one of the biggest benefits of these courses is that it puts you next to people who share at least some of your values and interests. Building a network of like-minded friends and allies is a big part of how we all survive, and hopefully thrive.

You're so right about that 20-year old camera, but eh, it works. :s0092:
Still using an iPhone that's 5 versions old. I don't see much point in upgrading until needed.

It's all good - I'm still rocking the film gear for the majority of my shooting.

My iPad Air on iOS v.8 finally bricked last summer. So, there is a point at which upgrading becomes necessary. Takes a loooooong time to get there though.

Speaking for myself, unless an instructor has been there and done that I'm really not interested. I'm not just talking about S.W.A.T. cops or SOF guys but rather actual instructors to S.W.A.T. cops or SOF guys...

Don't forget, there is SOOOO much more than tactical shooting skills to learn (and enjoy I hope!) with a gun.

"Been there done that" could easily be, oh, the Olympics or a National title etc. Not every instructor, or student, wants to teach/learn how to kill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top