JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FOPA is easy to comply to, the scary part, you are at the mercy of the Barney Fifes in small towns who make their own interpretation of Fed and local regs.

FOPA is easy to comply to, the scary part, you are at the mercy of the Barney Fifes in small towns who make their own interpretation of Fed and local regs.

California has been known to arrest people and confiscate firearms that are transported within the legal constraints of FOPA, despite FOPA - so the one time I passed thru with firearms I kept within speed limits. They do consider FOPA an affirmative defense, but they may charge and confiscate nonetheless, then you have to defend yourself in court.

In the future, if I intend to not just pass thru CA (or other un-free state) and actually spend any time there, my firearms will be those legal for possession there without registration. That is one reason why I have a number of ten round mags for my SIGs.

Rrrrrright.....
"Please sir or ma'am.....may I have your blessing/permission to travel across or within your state?"

Really? Brought to you by those who say that, they only want to see "reasonable and common sense" gun laws.

Aloha, Mark

In the future, if I intend to not just pass thru CA (or other un-free state) and actually spend any time there, my firearms will be those legal for possession there without registration. That is one reason why I have a number of ten round mags for my SIGs.

I read KA DOJ list of approved firearms, I just got confused. Example, you would think since they allow sale of 1911s from one manufacturer, that all 1911s would be legal for sale... NOT.

I read KA DOJ list of approved firearms, I just got confused. Example, you would think since they allow sale of 1911s from one manufacturer, that all 1911s would be legal for sale... NOT.

It is all rather confusing to me too. My general impression is that there are firearms that you can own - with and without registration. Then there are firearms that you can sell/buy? Then there are firearms that you can possess while visiting?

Simply said, no ARs/AKs/etc.

No mags over 10 rounds.

A "plain Jane" pump shotgun would be ok (i.e., maybe no pistol grip?), as would most lever and bolt actions.

Revolvers probably ok.

I looked, and my SIG Mk25 is on the "ok" roster - as long as it only has a 10 round mag.

Guns would need to be unloaded and in a locked container while being transported. A car trunk counts as a locked container.

Nope and it's far worse than that. Even the same manufacture with different models, say night sights or different colored grip...yup, different gun. Must be submitted (with fee of course) for approval. Keep in mind, this does not mean the gun is illegal to have in Cali, you just cannot import one for sale or find one in a gun shop. None of the gun I carry while down there are on the roster. (Not legal advice of course.)

Nope and it's far worse than that. Even the same manufacture with different models, say night sights or different colored grip...yup, different gun. Must be submitted (with fee of course) for approval. Keep in mind, this does not mean the gun is illegal to have in Cali, you just cannot import one for sale or find one in a gun shop. None of the gun I carry while down there are on the roster. (Not legal advice of course.)

Yes - I think with the exception of "assault weapons", mags over ten rounds and .50 BMG firearms, firearms owned before their bans are grandfathered in and the roster doesn't apply.

Just the same, I look at the roster and make sure I don't bring in any handgun that isn't on it, so that they can't say I am bringing it in for import or sale. I would consider a lever action, a revolver and a simple pump shotgun, all unloaded and in a locked container, as more or less legal/safe, and less likely to get the evil eye from a LEO who sees them. Oh, and less than 500 rounds of ammo.

Simply said, no ARs/AKs/etc.
As standard, yes. But, I understand that this changes things.

Guns would need to be unloaded and in a locked container while being transported.

My understanding on this is that revolvers need to have ammo separate, but semi autos can have their mag loaded, in the container, but not in the gun.

Check out CALGUNS forum.

Yes - I think with the exception of "assault weapons", mags over ten rounds and .50 BMG firearms, firearms owned before their bans are grandfathered in and the roster doesn't apply.
This is true. Off roster guns can also be transferred between private parties...and this is why they sell at a huge premium. LEO's can buy off roster and if they decide later;) that the don't want the gun they sell it. Some have gotten in trouble over this. Last I checked if you move into the state with handguns, they have to be registered but I believe there is no restriction (i.e. can be off roster guns). This might have changed since I last looked or will be gone soon.

This is true. Off roster guns can also be transferred between private parties...and this is why they sell at a huge premium. LEO's can buy off roster and if they decide later;) that the don't want the gun they sell it. Some have gotten in trouble over this. Last I checked if you move into the state with handguns, they have to be registered but I believe there is no restriction (i.e. can be off roster guns). This might have changed since I last looked or will be gone soon.

Yes.

They don't mention 10 round mags, but I think there is something elsewhere about that - they are basically banned.

You cannot bring in "Assault Weapons", although they grandfathered those that are there - requiring registration for them though. Although, FOPA applies, as I mentioned, CA is known to arrest, confiscate (possibly destroying your firearms) and then consider FOPA as an affirmative defense.

We used to live in Marina, Monterey County. I have to thank Uncle Sam for wanting us (4 boys) starting in 65 through 72, we all left Kali one by one. By the Grace of God, we all end up finishing our stints in Texas, 3 brothers all retired, I put in 6. Texas is now home for all of us, since 74 for me.

God Bless Texas.

California has been known to arrest people and confiscate firearms that are transported within the legal constraints of FOPA, despite FOPA

^ This. There are some jurisdictions that are known to routinely and brazenly ignore FOPA86.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top