Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NRA article about .380 autos

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RVNvet, Jan 21, 2010.

1. RVNvet

RVNvet Beaverton Member

The latest issue (February) of 'American Rifleman' has a great article regarding testing the nine most popular compact .380 auto pistols. One thing that was shocking to me was that all of them jammed during the tests! (Some manufacturers recommend not trusting their guns until 200 rounds have been fired through them.) If you carry a .380, or are considering doing so, you might be well served to pick up a copy and read the article. (It's also online at http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2074&cid=4)

Thanks anyway, but I'll stick to my .38 Special revolver...when I pull the trigger, it always goes bang!

Max

2. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

As a rule of thumb, I would never carry ANY handgun for defensive purposes that I hadn't fired at least 200 rounds through without a malfunction, revolvers included. Most handguns, in my experience, require a 'break-in' period before they become reliable, and to expect them to be reliable right out of the box is expecting too much. Some are definitely better than others in this respect.

YMMV

3. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

hey 1st.You weren't by any chance with the 281st Intruders were you,if you were you would know Raiders/RTMamba CCN.Just askin..

4. RVNvet

RVNvet Beaverton Member

Me?

5. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

what kind of bothered me, was they didnt have the LW Seecamp model in there....
    (I read the article pretty quick, had to get out the door) but I was pretty sure that wasnt in there. I have the the .32 model of that and it has never jammed. I dont own the .380 version. But after reading the article I didnt find it faith inspiring at all in the models listed. Im a realist but I really have to believe that a gun should operate out of the box the first time. Not the reality with some of models they chose for the article or so it seems.

6. M.Link

M.Link Guest

The most expensive one the tested, a Roghbough or something like that, did not malfuction...it was almost 1200 buck though!

7. MilesTeg

MilesTeg Troutdale, OR Active Member

I've had out of the box pistol and revolver failures with Kel-Tec, Ruger, Glock, Taurus, Smith and Wesson, Sig and Beretta. If it is created by man it will fail.

I've never heard anyone having an issue with Rhorbaugh. My guess on Rhorbaugh (I have no personal experience with them) is that you pay more because they take more time to make sure everything is mated better and broken in. Doesn't mean it won't fail but the chances are significantly less than other mass produced firearms.

I break in pistols with 500 rounds of fmj's and then at least 200 rds of carry ammo. Revolvers I shoot with 500 rounds of generic and look for cylinder bind from powder/crud (gap is too tight) and backed out cylinder/ejector rod.

8. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

If you read it carefully, they also admit to putting many different brands of ammunition through each gun without getting specific about which gun choked on which type ammo. I have always found that autoloaders dislike some bullet configurations and run forever on others. It is critical that you shoot some of your expensive carry ammo in any autoloader you plan to carry to make sure it will digest it. One may work fine in your buddy's gun and not in yours even though the guns are the same make and model.

That said, it would be interesting to see how many new off the shelf 9mm, 40's and 45's would have feeding issues in a similar test.

9. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

yes you.1st aviation

10. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

I didn't think much of the article. It mentions "malfunctions" in a variety of the guns but doesn't specify in all cases what the exact manfunction was. It seemed to me, at least, to come down more to the author's likes and dislikes than it did to any hard set of facts.

11. RVNvet

RVNvet Beaverton Member

No, I'm not familiar with them. I was in the 129th AHC from September '65-March '67 (I extended). We were based at Dong ba Thin (on the mainland opposite Cam Rhan Bay), and flew primarily in the 2nd Corps area. I was a gunner on a Huey slick.

Max

868 and Me.JPG

12. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

They all failed because they did not test the Bersa 380CC!!!

I have 200rds in, and have YET to have an issue!!!

I had a Jimenez 380 and sold it the next week... to buy the bersa, and havent looked back!!!

13. Generator

Generator Bend Member

+1

14. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I thought the article was a good general overview. I've never had a problem with my .380 autos, of course, I've bought them used/broken in... :)

15. pencap

pencap Oregon Member

I think they were just limp wristing and that's what caused the malfs...