JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The latest issue (February) of 'American Rifleman' has a great article regarding testing the nine most popular compact .380 auto pistols. One thing that was shocking to me was that all of them jammed during the tests! (Some manufacturers recommend not trusting their guns until 200 rounds have been fired through them.) If you carry a .380, or are considering doing so, you might be well served to pick up a copy and read the article. (It's also online at <broken link removed> )

Thanks anyway, but I'll stick to my .38 Special revolver...when I pull the trigger, it always goes bang!

Max

As a rule of thumb, I would never carry ANY handgun for defensive purposes that I hadn't fired at least 200 rounds through without a malfunction, revolvers included. Most handguns, in my experience, require a 'break-in' period before they become reliable, and to expect them to be reliable right out of the box is expecting too much. Some are definitely better than others in this respect.

YMMV

what kind of bothered me, was they didnt have the LW Seecamp model in there....
(I read the article pretty quick, had to get out the door) but I was pretty sure that wasnt in there. I have the the .32 model of that and it has never jammed. I dont own the .380 version. But after reading the article I didnt find it faith inspiring at all in the models listed. Im a realist but I really have to believe that a gun should operate out of the box the first time. Not the reality with some of models they chose for the article or so it seems.

I've had out of the box pistol and revolver failures with Kel-Tec, Ruger, Glock, Taurus, Smith and Wesson, Sig and Beretta. If it is created by man it will fail.

I've never heard anyone having an issue with Rhorbaugh. My guess on Rhorbaugh (I have no personal experience with them) is that you pay more because they take more time to make sure everything is mated better and broken in. Doesn't mean it won't fail but the chances are significantly less than other mass produced firearms.

I break in pistols with 500 rounds of fmj's and then at least 200 rds of carry ammo. Revolvers I shoot with 500 rounds of generic and look for cylinder bind from powder/crud (gap is too tight) and backed out cylinder/ejector rod.

If you read it carefully, they also admit to putting many different brands of ammunition through each gun without getting specific about which gun choked on which type ammo. I have always found that autoloaders dislike some bullet configurations and run forever on others. It is critical that you shoot some of your expensive carry ammo in any autoloader you plan to carry to make sure it will digest it. One may work fine in your buddy's gun and not in yours even though the guns are the same make and model.

That said, it would be interesting to see how many new off the shelf 9mm, 40's and 45's would have feeding issues in a similar test.

I didn't think much of the article. It mentions "malfunctions" in a variety of the guns but doesn't specify in all cases what the exact manfunction was. It seemed to me, at least, to come down more to the author's likes and dislikes than it did to any hard set of facts.

yes you.1st aviation

No, I'm not familiar with them. I was in the 129th AHC from September '65-March '67 (I extended). We were based at Dong ba Thin (on the mainland opposite Cam Rhan Bay), and flew primarily in the 2nd Corps area. I was a gunner on a Huey slick.

Max

868 and Me.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews