JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I work for a government agency in SW Washington. I was told yesterday that I could no longer wear a hat (or anything else) with the letters "NRA" if the article of clothing was visible to my coworkers. Apparently one of them feels intimidated by letters of the alphabet and that I am creating a divisive and hostile work environment. There is nothing in the personnel manual that covers this situation.

Management is not willing to provide me with a list of similar letters or organizations that they feel are not suitable for the workplace.

Oh yeah, as the majority of the folks are working from home, I see most of them only twice a week on a Zoom conference for maybe 30 minutes.

I'm feeling that my 1st amendment rights are being trampled by jack booted thugs. I know that the amendment refers to Congress making laws banning speech, but the common use is otherwise.

Anyone been through this?

I have NO doubt this would be very common. You could ask if you can have a BLM decal and if they say yes you could complain. What would most likely happen is no lawyer would take the case unless you paid up front big and you would lose. Then the Co would most likely find some reason to get rid of you. So unless it's worth this?

Would an NR.RAY cap be acceptable?
red-low-profile-ball-cap-20.png.jpeg

Last Edited:
Ask them to put it into writing. Amend the company policy per the personnel manual.
I am not sure what to do beyond that.
Do you have an employment contract or union employed?

Might want to call a labor lawyer.
Oregon is an at will state.

My understanding is that they can dismiss for basically nothing.

Last Edited:
Yeah, found out my CEO sent out a letter to his execs ranting about Trump and demanding he be impeached. Guy was supposedly a conservative. I don't wear anything at work that identifies my political leanings. It's tough enough being a middle-aged white male in the corporate world these days. I do have some items that identify my military service, but that's it.

Many employers ban the wearing of any shirts/hats bearing a political or controversial message. It makes sense as in most workplaces there are varying political beliefs. They are just trying to remove controversy from the workplace and keep everyone focused on doing their job.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top