JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bump stocks being classified the same as FA sears? Lol, now that's funny right there.

You may be right on bump stocks - they are at least firearm accessories. As with machine guns, that's water under the bridge. Unless some kind of lawsuit can get it reversed.
Well, it sure would be nice if the NRA focused on regaining rights, rather than only playing defense. Worse yet, every defense seems to end in a "compromise".

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

Well, it sure would be nice if the NRA focused on regaining rights, rather than only playing defense. Worse yet, every defense seems to end in a "compromise".

View attachment 573746

That's an awesome cartoon - spot on!

Offense would be preferable for sure, but right now we are in a fight for survival, attempting to hold what we have and in blue states we are losing BIG TIME. IF we can survive, maybe at some point, we can go on offense. We need one more Supreme Court Justice on our side to play offense at the national level. Hopefully they will roll back some of the state infringements, but don't hold your breath waiting on it.

I think that's it. Political pressure was too great to defend bump stocks at the time. Unfortunately, bump stocks are not protected by the 2A.
No, they could have been easily defended, as the ATF had confirmed on multiple occasions that they were legal. Words have very specific meanings, and by the letter of the law, a bumpstock was not a machinegun.

In order to change the law, it would have had to go through the House, the Senate, and the President, with very little chance of success. It would have gone nowhere, and bumpstocks would still be legal.

This wasn't even a case of defending bumpstocks, as at that point is was all just talk and rhetoric; no bills had been filed.

The NRA preemptively requested that the ATF reevaluate bumpstocks, essentially offering them up for sacrifice when no sacrifice was needed. They were also the ones that put the bug in Trump's ear that they could simply reinterpret the definitions of the law, rather than needing to go through Congress to change the law.

The bumpstock ban lies solely at the feet of the NRA, as will any future bans using this workaround rather than going through Congress. They asked for this, and set a horrible precident in the process.

What did we gain from all of this? Absolutely nothing. What do we look to gain in the near future? More restrictions in the form of red flag laws, also courtesy of the NRA.

I want my cake back! :mad:

I think that's it. Political pressure was too great to defend bump stocks at the time. Unfortunately, bump stocks are not protected by the 2A.

How? Are we going to say gun acessories arent protected too? I was never a bump stock fan but if you cant see the issue in saying they arent protected we have much larger issues

Bump stocks being classified the same as FA sears? Lol, now that's funny right there.
The only way it might have been worth it was if they had reopened the registry for amnesty, which would have given us a brief window to absolutely flood the registry with drop-in auto sears, lightning links, swift links, and 3rd holes. That would have been glorious, and would be one of the only compromises I would have been in favor of.

Unfortunately, the NRA went the opposite direction, and basically volunteered to give up our rights for absolutely nothing in return.
:(

Well, I have to call it a night, but wanted to add one more thing.

For those that think I am being too harsh towards the NRA for asking the ATF to reinterpret bump stocks, or for those that don't believe the NRA is responsible, allow me to leave you this:

"Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
-NRA Joint Statement

NRA | Joint Statement

Well, I have to call it a night, but wanted to add one more thing.

For those that think I am being too harsh towards the NRA for asking the ATF to reinterpret bump stocks, or for those that don't believe the NRA is responsible, allow me to leave you this:

"Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
-NRA Joint Statement

NRA | Joint Statement

Totally agree with you. We need to take back the NRA or find another group that will actually fight for our rights

I say dig up Jimmy Hoffa and let him run the NRA. He might have been a crooked mafia boss, but he did get things done.

I really don't care who takes over, as long as they're not a spineless leech.

Is it really that difficult to find somebody that wants to do his job (I'd even settle for just willing), and won't steal from you in the process? :confused:

I question the motives of those who repeatedly and rabidly denounce the NRA. ..

NRA revenue ~ $434 million (2016)
SAF revenues - ~4 or 5 million (2017)
GOA revenues - ~roughly 3 million (2016)

NRA claims 80% of revenues went to program services (link above). That's a good percentage. ...

So if the 80% figure is false due to sweetheart deals and self-dealing, then the NRA is the most powerful anti-gun lobby out there. If the allegations are true, it absorbs almost all the money that could be used to protect, defend, and extend 2A rights, and redirects that into the pockets of a few people thus actively subtracting from our ability to support the 2A. That's an anti-2A act.

I question the motives of those who don't want to see an independent audit so that we can ascertain whether the NRA is helping the 2A or actively hindering it. If the 80% figure is real -- I'll donate in a heartbeat and renew. If it is false, I'll continue donating elsewhere. Not because I have anti-2A sentiments -- but because I support the 2A.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top