JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you listen to National Public Radio (NPR)?

• Yes

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • In small doses. It's all I can stand.

Votes: 25 20.2%

• Total voters
Damned country hippies... I bet you have a mullet, too.;)

I'm not calling you names..I get my hair cut about 3 times a year above the ears and tapered in the back it hangs straight down in between. I've worn the same basic hair cut for the last 40+ years except for my time the US NAVY and the one year the wife wanted me to try to grow a little pony tail. I have worn a beard (including after basic in the US NAVY) for going on 42 years now.

I listen to Classic rock with PINK FLOYD being a favorite. SO while I live in the same small town I was born in I hardly think of my self as country anything.

I was at an all day training event this weekend. After a day of shooting we were packing up our guns and gear and I saw one of the cars had an Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) sticker on it. I thought "wow," talk about cross-demographics! But now I wonder how many on here listen to public radio. Are we required to listen only to Rush and friends, or are we 2A people a pretty diverse lot? Would you like to catch some gun talk "between two ferns" on All Things Considered? BBC Gun News Hour?
You tell me.

Yes. Strangely enough the conceal carry club that I helped start at Psu was on there.

If interested in the interview: PSU Students Rally Around Guns, But Can't Carry On Campus

I thought the interviewer, I believe Dave, was very fair in his questions to both parties. It didn't seem like NPR was biased either way.

Last Edited:
So I was just now hearing Clive baiting a retard (bless his retarded soul) and then flicked over to OPB/NPR and had to go all "you gotta be firkin kidding me" mode. but that's just me.
joy to the world though!

I'm gathering (OPB right now) that Europeans don't like women treated like goats.. and have made laws to enforce it.
Genus!

Last Edited:
I listen often, it's kind of a spin the wheel where you don't know what you'll get. Some of it's entertaining some is pretty worthless to me.

I was a conservative talk junkie for several years and then I just kind of burned out on it. I don't have anything against it and can come to the same conclusions without the hype. I don't miss Rush blowing his own horn in my ear…

I had to go with "In small doses. It's all I can stand." because I do listen to NPR from time to time and there aren't all that many stations that we receive. Car Talk and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me can be good. Their hard news segments on business and financial are good enough. Occasionally they'll play decent classical music or jazz too. The news commentary portions, and some of the interviews, though, are beyond obnoxious and I flip the dial.

I watch the TV channel a lot for all their fix-it, build-it shows. Believe it or not I occasionally watch the Sunday afternoon live opera broadcasts.

But I'm NOT a fan of their radio station!!!!!!

We do like OPB for some of the shows, we like some of the British stuff they air like Doc Martin. But yeah, the radio station, no interest there.

We do like OPB for some of the shows, we like some of the British stuff they air like Doc Martin. But yeah, the radio station, no interest there.
Growing up, I HATED This Old House, seemed like a waste of the last moments of the weekend. Going away to college my roomate flipped in on, gave me a feeling of being home. From that day Sunday at our house was "This Old House Day."

I think dudes won't listen to opposing viewpoints because they know they'll have to concede the occasional point, but are so committed to their own party line they just can't even fathom that

Partisan politics is a sad, sad thing.

I dont listen to NPR. No radio. No TV news. No internet news. I go out of my way to avoid it all as much as possible. I just got fed up with all the divisive mind games the media play just to get ratings. Life is too short. I come on this forum hoping you guys let me know what the important news is and when the shooting starts because I have scores to settle.

On 10-13 I was listening to All Things Considered on NPR out of Spokane. They presented an episode about a city in Georgia having a sale of confiscated firearms. They presented both sides of the argument. It was objective. It was news, not entertainment. Remember when we had that? Well, much of Public Television and Radio is still like that. News that Cronkite could be proud of.

You used to get a full broadcast with 55 minutes of info per hour. But after the Newt's removal of much of the Government's help with NPR's budget they actively engaged with corporate sponsorship. Now you get sponsorship advertising at the start of the programming and again at the end just like broadcast TV. Thanks Newt.

On 10-13 I was listening to All Things Considered on NPR out of Spokane. They presented an episode about a city in Georgia having a sale of confiscated firearms. They presented both sides of the argument. It was objective. It was news, not entertainment. Remember when we had that? Well, much of Public Television and Radio is still like that. News that Cronkite could be proud of.

You used to get a full broadcast with 55 minutes of info per hour. But after the Newt's removal of much of the Government's help with NPR's budget they actively engaged with corporate sponsorship. Now you get sponsorship advertising at the start of the programming and again at the end just like broadcast TV. Thanks Newt.

Why should the government, and by extension, our tax money, go to pay for news? Let them stand or fall on their own, just like everyone else. If there is value in what they do, people will support it, if there isn't, they will go away. I personally don't want my tax money paying for news or entertainment.

Why should the government, and by extension, our tax money, go to pay for news? Let them stand or fall on their own, just like everyone else. If there is value in what they do, people will support it, if there isn't, they will go away. I personally don't want my tax money paying for news or entertainment.
I don't want my money paying for corporate tax breaks and subsidies. I don't want my tax dollars paying for military adventurism or purchasing equipment we don't need.

Democracy is messy.

I don't want my money paying for corporate tax breaks and subsidies. I don't want my tax dollars paying for military adventurism or purchasing equipment we don't need.

Democracy is messy.

I'm in complete agreement with you on that point too. Way too much money being spent by our government and way too many people standing with their hands out.

Too bad there wasn't a way for each taxpayer to direct how they want their taxes spent by the government. I wonder how that would pan out?

I'm in complete agreement with you on that point too. Way too much money being spent by our government and way too many people standing with their hands out.

Too bad there wasn't a way for each taxpayer to direct how they want their taxes spent by the government. I wonder how that would pan out?
Since it would be a government run program, I would guess poorly. Second guess is they would find someway to dole out the pork like normal.

Last Edited:
Total government funding of NPR (Fed,State,and Local) is only 5% as of 2013 (Source:Public Radio Finances)
NPR funding 2013.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads