JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you listen to National Public Radio (NPR)?

• Yes

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • In small doses. It's all I can stand.

Votes: 25 20.2%

• Total voters
If I listened to radio at all, it would probably be all I listen to. I used to listen a lot: Morning Edition / Market Watch / All Things Considered / Thistle & Shamrock / Fresh Air / local bluegrass / Prairie Home Companion / Blues ...
It all started sounding the same. The news programs had their format which became so predictable. One day I found myself yelling at the casual PC remarks from the speaker, and their rhetorical question of "how could anyone think differently?"
I turned it all off, stopped reading the papers, stopped watching TV.
Much happier now with my head in the sand.

Too bad the government will be auctioning off the sand to the highest bidder. Expect sand-vertising to disturb your happiness.

If you want any pootinannie in this town you pretty much gotta put an NPR sticker on your car. lol
I don't do stickers and listen to some of their philosophy, technology, book talk when it might happen to coincide with what I'm doing etc.
Their "news" and daily six hours straight (from like 2200 to 0400hrs) of the plight of the boat people of the day is really too WTF for me.
I listen to different radio stations.

I've listened to them on and off. I don't buy that they are 'more balanced' in their reporting as some folks may think of them. They have their agenda, and they're being partially funded by the government, which pisses me off to no end. If you want to be biased in your views and your reporting, you have that right, but don't pretend to be balanced while taking handouts from the government. That's what ticks me off the most about them and the main reason I don't spend much time giving them my ear. Be honest about who you are, turn the government money away and I'd be more willing to listen.

I wonder if they'd survive without government money? They might, there are donation supported radio stations, such as the classical station here in Portland.

I don't listen to NPR, but it's not because of anything they do or stand for, I just don't listen to the radio. I don't have a problem with them, and I don't have a problem with them getting tax money, just like I don't have a problem with taxes going to the library. Better than commercials.

I do have a problem with taxes going to tinted windows on school buses, what the bubblegum is up with that bubblegum?

I wonder if they'd survive without government money? They might, there are donation supported radio stations, such as the classical station here in Portland.

I don't listen to NPR, but it's not because of anything they do or stand for, I just don't listen to the radio. I don't have a problem with them, and I don't have a problem with them getting tax money, just like I don't have a problem with taxes going to the library. Better than commercials.

I do have a problem with taxes going to tinted windows on school buses, what the bubblegum is up with that bubblegum?

Libraries are a publicly owned institution & NPR is a private corporation, so by your statement you wouldn't mind if Donald Trump received tax money to operate his business, yeah?

The tinting on school buses serves two functions:

Reduces radiant solar heat buildup through the windows as they don't have air conditioning in them.

Reduces the passengers silhouettes so they can't be sniped as easily.

Last Edited:
Man you really shouldn't get me started on school buses. I'm going to eat a sock right now.

I wasn't aware that NPR was a private corporation, I'll look into it.

From Wikipedia's NPR page:

"While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR's overall revenues."

Since the '80s NPR receives almost NO government funding. Yeah, I consider 2% of a small budget to be almost no funding.
They stay on air with those annoying pledge drives
(aka "begging") and private bequests like the one the late Joan Kroc gave.

As for school buses, I say the government should stop funding schools and school buses.
Yeah, think of the boost to the economy if we put all those nimble little hands to work in the workhouse assembling things! They can listen to privately funded NPR...

Last Edited:
I always wonder at people who will peddle government crap for a 2% enhancement of their budget. Whores are pretty cheap these days.

This is like state governments that will knuckle under to the feds to retain their highway funding, ignoring the fact that money actually comes from the taxpayers in their own state. Or the state governments that allow federal control of education just to get some relatively minor block grants (a Reagan innovation, by the way).

One of their stories included the statement "dealers do not need to do background checks at gun shows" so I assume all of their news stories are now equally as incorrect.

Plus 80% of the shows seemed to be dedicated to stories about the middle east so I dont bother to listen to them

oh, and one of the begging for money sessions they called people who dont donate "freeloaders" and I dont want to be a freeloader.

Think Air America.... their particular viewpoints and journalistic approach didn't get them very far.

If you want any pootinannie in this town you pretty much gotta put an NPR sticker on your car. lol

Dude, you hang out with the wrong chicks. I've known many women who love a good shag after taking them shooting. You will not find any stickers on my car.

I sense that SOMEONE has had bad experiences on school buses growing up, yeah? ;) :D
My head hit the roof too many times to count in 8th grade. Such is the risk of sitting in the back of the bus.

From Wikipedia's NPR page:

"While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR's overall revenues."

Since the '80s NPR receives almost NO government funding. Yeah, I consider 2% of a small budget to be almost no funding.
They stay on air with those annoying pledge drives
(aka "begging") and private bequests like the one the late Joan Kroc gave.

As for school buses, I say the government should stop funding schools and school buses.
Yeah, think of the boost to the economy if we put all those nimble little hands to work in the workhouse assembling things! They can listen to privately funded NPR...
I wonder about OPB?.. to include State and Federal "subsidization".
I just giggle every time the gal says "brought to you by" (every fifteen minutes for that brainwashing effectiveness to make it really, really true).. and leaves out forced subsidization at the point of a gun.
yay

I drive dump truck for a living and I listen to 101.1 and 91.5 as well as a couple of Classic rock stations I like to hear what the other side has to say.

I was at an all day training event this weekend. After a day of shooting we were packing up our guns and gear and I saw one of the cars had an Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) sticker on it. I thought "wow," talk about cross-demographics! But now I wonder how many on here listen to public radio. Are we required to listen only to Rush and friends, or are we 2A people a pretty diverse lot? Would you like to catch some gun talk "between two ferns" on All Things Considered? BBC Gun News Hour?
You tell me.
If you don't listen to how the other side communicates and talks (i.e. what their language is), we are doomed to not being able to effectively influence the people on the fence we need in this state to support the 2nd amendment.

so yes, I do listen. If only to better speak in a way that the other side will listen to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top