JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ordinary decent citizens growing food, making stuff, raising families.
Bad folk take everything from them.
Roaming, stalking predators. Surprise, ambush, terrorize, steal.

The few, the CC.
Predators should consider a different line of work.

I am me, at home or out and about.
I practice and play, focus.
Site alignment, site picture
Pulse bumping my site picture.
Breathe, relax, aim, stop breathing.
Squeeze between the pulses
Takes longer to verbalize, write.
Practice again and again.
That moment in time, becoming a meat and bone sandbag for the gun.
The gun fires the round, bullet exits the barrel.
Follow through. Where was my front site post?
Repeat the evolution till the gun clicks empty or the threat is reduced.
One of my super powers.
You can't be like me.
Takes too long, too much work, too boring.
You can't be a United States Marine.

The question "Does carrying a pistol maker you safer?" Is a very complex one.
It would depend on who you are , where you are and what is going on.
Having a gun may or may not make you safer.
But having a gun and the skill and willingness to use it appropriately , can give you more options.
More options in a emergency is always a good thing.
Carrying a gun is just one of many things , which used together can make you safer.
The idea that just carrying a gun will make you safer , without the proper mindset and training is misleading and possibly dangerous.
Andy

I was talking to my local FFL, I have done a couple of transactions through him.

I usually hold my tongue, I have found my ideas at times... unpopular.

The topic of conceal pistol permits came up and I muttered something to the effect of; " I don't know if I want half these people walking around with pistols, I see how they shoot at 10 feet from the firing line, if you cant hit the paper at 10 feet maybe you shouldn't carry it until you can."

I was surprised to get the comment; "I Like You." o_O
Even though I do not subscribe to them, I don't think your idea's are unpopular, in my opine, similar ideas are producing the slow burning death of the 2nd amendment. Along with an unfathomable amount of our other freedoms.

Safer? No not really.

Better armed for a fight, yup.

My fight procedure is:

Deescalate.
Fists and legs.
Knife.
Gun.

I have never gotten past fists and legs thankfully.

Guns are most useful out past 21 feet. Any closer and if you are not intimately aware of a growing danger, then fists or a knife are better options for me (or anyone with combat training).

"IF" all it does is make you more confident and you show that to criminals,then it is safer.
Criminals prey on the weak. If you show confidence then you may never know how many times a gun has saved your life;)

To simply be carrying a pistol can make you safer the way carrying a dictionary can improve your vocabulary or a parachute can save you from a plane crash...
...They're only effective if you have it with you, and you know how to use it.

I listen to NPR and OPB about 1/3 of the day (I drive dump truck so listen to the radio almost 10 hours a day) I thought the first part of the story played this morning was pretty good. The afternoon section with the comments on the use of a handgun was almost balanced. Granted it could have been more to our side of the issue. BUT it was not NRA radio and to even get as close to fair and balanced as they did is a VERY GOOD thing. They gave three different things that could happen if a person uses a handgun. Two of them were self defense one of them was NOT. Shooting out the tires of a shoplifters car is NOT self defense. And they accurately showed the results. The gal got in trouble. They also gave an accurate account of how if you use your handgun and the results are a bad guy ends up dead you can still be very effected by it.

I personally would put this story in the win column for us.

I just read the whole thing and I found it a bit slanted, but more subtly so than I would have expected. The only statistics that they quoted were a little silly - if you have more handguns, a higher percentage of accidents and suicides will be attributed to them. Well duh. They also didn't seem to find anyone who didn't feel that we need to require training (or more training, depending on the area) to receive a permit. Most of the firearm owners I've asked think training is a good idea, but should not be required. As in, perhaps, "shall not be infringed"? At any rate, private citizens are 6 times less likely to shoot the wrong person than law enforcement is, so we're doing something right. Even bearing in mind that the citizen is far more likely to have been at the scene when the incident started, I think it proves a point.

I just read the whole thing and I found it a bit slanted, but more subtly so than I would have expected.

Yeah, that's it. The bias is there, but it is nicely masked.

Agreed on requirement of demonstrated ability to shoot accurately.

I don't agree with this at all. First, anything that is a "requirement" implies inviting government into the picture. In this case, implying government may decide who is armed. In fact what you are advocating is gun control. Sure you are comfortable with that? o_O

Second, the vast majority of DGUs involve merely pulling a gun out and not shooting at all, with the effect of the criminal running away. Why bar people from gaining this advantage?

Third, cops routinely "spray and pray" and miss with all shots. Why hold ordinary people to standards we don't require from cops?

Let people decide on their own how to handle the tool. Encourage competency, sure, but encouragement is as far as it should go. To Hell with requirements.

Years ago I was involved in a small business owner event on dealing with the resession. NPR was there recording and covering the event. The radio report of the event was carefully selected edits to make it sound like we were all about to go under despite the fact that he vast majority of the interviews indicated that the business had a plan to ride out the recession.

NPR is pure propaganda. I have not listened since.

I do find it obtuse; those people who claim to be for small government yet support laws that have a direct effect on other people. Pro Choice, Anti- LGBT laws, ect, ect.

Yet again, maybe my ideas are unpopular but I don't have any right to tell you what to do, nor do you have the right to tell me what to do; what else beside the rule of law do we have to enforce these beliefs, and who will enforce it.

Yet people still want to pick and choose based on their gut, religion, and or creed.

I was impressed by the NPR article, very neutral for the topic. So neutral in fact the multiple forums I linked this article to; people either like it or hate it.

The article was written to let you put your own bias on the subject.

People who immediately don't like NPR call it anti-gun.
People who don't like guns call it pro-gun.
People who are pro gun find it surprisingly neutral with a touch of bias.

Very interesting indeed.

I could be wrong, but maybe not everyone posting has actually read the article. Also, when I said it was surprisingly unbiased for NPR, I meant heavily biased, but much less than I expect from NPR. Even a year or two ago, this article would be much more slanted. And that's why this is a good sign. If this is anti gun coverage, then things are not as bad as I thought.

The article does a good job in reminding people that "packing" comes with responsibility, big responsibility. It lacks in that its sampling is very limited. As DW has pointed out, the vast majority of DGUs involve no shots fired. The question whether carrying a gun makes you safer cannot be answered in general. It depends on the situation, your confidence in making the right call, and your ability to deploy and operate your gun effectively. I will use it as a last resort only, not to protect property.

I'm not particularly stoked about people carrying guns all over the place, for the same reasons already listed - most people won't train, and a lot won't even adopt the barest basic firearm education, as evidenced by people that muzzle-sweep you, "show" you their guns, and do all sorts of stupid bubblegum.

I'd really rather all these jackasses just left them at home in the safe.

But I'm a freedom-loving American, and value liberty over safety. Your right to bear arms is a right... my feelings about safety are not.

I don't ever carry anymore. I do still have and maintain my permit, as does my wife.. just in case. But I don't think I've had my pistol in a holster off the range in about 6 years, maybe more. I don't feel less safe, just less armed. I also don't feel safer when I do have a gun.

But every now and then I find myself in a slightly sketchy feeling situation..... like very rarely. But in those rare and thankfully fleeting moments, sometimes I do sorta wish I had a chunk of gun on my hip. Too bad you can't know ahead of time when you'll have those moments!

Carry (your guns) on (your strong side), gents.

The three stories from Detroit sounded like they wanted to show Good, Bad and Ugly outcomes.
Although the first was not all that good since the citizen still had his car smashed up. NPR states that he used a Sig Sauer .45, yet he is pictured with a S&W SD9VE. Did he not get his Sig back?

The telling of the second story does not jive with the original news account from 2012. NPR made it sound like Alaina Gonville was shot while being mugged because she open carried. The original news story sounds like a car jacking gone bad.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-woman-shoots-back-at-would-be-carjackers

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-to-help-detroit-woman-fix-bullet-riddled-suv

I actually got more depth from this NPR story about the lady outside of Home Depot who shot out the tires of a shoplifter. The media did a hit piece on her but now I know her mindset:

Rodriguez used to work at Home Depot, and she knows the company policy: Don't pursue shoplifters. But she says she thought this was more serious because a lady was screaming for help.
"So I take my gun out and I point at the car when he was coming towards us. I jump to the side and decide to shoot out the tires to stop them," she says.

Her actions sound more reasonable now.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews