JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im no longer allowing the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect influence me with NPR. They got one story on firearms already horribly wrong (saying all gun dealers can sell at gun show with no background checks) so I assume every story is just as inaccurate.

Im no longer allowing the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect influence me with NPR. They got one story on firearms already horribly wrong (saying all gun dealers can sell at gun show with no background checks) so I assume every story is just as inaccurate.

Then why do we read news at all?

News: Read it, analyze, find supporting data, come to your own conclusions - we have to do this with every news outlet, period.

Personally, I breathe a bit easier thinking that there are other good, law-abiding, armed citizens in the mall with me.

I was talking to my local FFL, I have done a couple of transactions through him.

I usually hold my tongue, I have found my ideas at times... unpopular.

The topic of conceal pistol permits came up and I muttered something to the effect of; " I don't know if I want half these people walking around with pistols, I see how they shoot at 10 feet from the firing line, if you cant hit the paper at 10 feet maybe you shouldn't carry it until you can."

I was surprised to get the comment; "I Like You." o_O

If you want to see really professional-grade propaganda, you can't do any better than National Propaganda Radio. This piece was a fine example. Notice how they picked and chose their examples of defensive use? And they didn't bother to mention the main reason shooting events are so traumatic is because police agencies make it so. After you defend yourself from the criminal, you have to defend yourself against cops and ambitious DAs.

Yes, yes it does. It makes me 100 times safer, polite, law abiding..etc.

If I carry, I have a lot to lose. Im not going to make poor decisions, lose my temper..etc. However, carrying a tool that can save my life where I would otherwise die makes perfect sense.

Anyone balking at the idea of carrying a as means of self defense and then saying that you could potentially be a "victim" by having the gun taken in an altercation has never trained with firearms a day in their life. They can live in their fairytail land.. Meanwhile Ill live in the real world where murder, violent attacks and break ins run rampant.

I have to say that as far as NPR coverage of 2A issues go, this one was not bad. It actually contained several examples of normal people effectively defending themselves in fairly clear cut self defense situations. On the other hand, the authors tried their best to make Farago sound dumb.

I take this article as a good sign.

ETA: Make that two positive examples and one negative, or you could read it as one positive, one vague, and one negative. Still, I would expect an NPR story to be filled with MANY examples of CCW fails, with perhaps one example of a successful DGU.

Last Edited:
I...if you cant hit the paper at 10 feet maybe you shouldn't carry it until you can."

That is fine as long as we don't go running to Uncle Sugar to mandate it. Rather than complain, maybe step up and help that d00fus who cannot hit the paper at 10 feet...share/train others so they can shoot as fantastic as you.

I was talking to my local FFL, I have done a couple of transactions through him.

I usually hold my tongue, I have found my ideas at times... unpopular.

The topic of conceal pistol permits came up and I muttered something to the effect of; " I don't know if I want half these people walking around with pistols, I see how they shoot at 10 feet from the firing line, if you cant hit the paper at 10 feet maybe you shouldn't carry it until you can."

Agreed on requirement of demonstrated ability to shoot accurately. They should add, under stress, since when would you ever pull your firearm out to use and it be a non-stressed situation?
How to do that is another story, considering the physical condition of some CHL licensees.
The individuals who concern me the most are the ones who become swollen with the feeling of power because they own a pistol and can carry it legally. How do you screen for that one too?

Glad someone else started a thread on this. I write about it in Examiner, and anybody can feel free to cut and paste their remarks here over to the "comments" section there.

NPR asks 'Does carrying a pistol make you safer?'

NPR this morning is ran an interesting report that poses a serious question: "Does carrying a pistol make you safer?"

<broken link removed>

Yes, carrying a gun makes me feel safer. The article is IMHO, a not so subtle jab at gun owners.

One thing he did get right is how people seem to clam up. I've known a few people that have had to defend themselves with firearms and none of them really talk about it.

Just another anti-gun writer doing a hack job on people that carry. He found people that justified his position and wrote a "well researched" piece on it.

And the comments on NPR are a strong indicator of who we are up against.

Personally, I breathe a bit easier thinking that there are other good, law-abiding, armed citizens in the mall with me.

I wouldn't breathe too much easier. Not many "law-abiding, armed citizens" will actively engage a threat to stop it. Many (as has been stated on here) will use it solely to protect them and their own under the shelter in place idea. Only if bad guy comes here will I use my firearm to defend myself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top