JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:s0156:Clear the coasts, walk right in. :s0156:Hurricanes on the east, drought on the west.

It is true, my sister is the tightest penny pincher, and this last heat wave, she turned on her central air for the first time since she bought her house 21 years ago. My mom called and told me about it and was worried that my sister was mentally ill. LOL

fR6sakxO.jpg

The 110 degrees in Seattle and the week long 100 degree temperature definitely is the first time in Seattle I have experienced that in my whole life living here. I was able to keep it 90 in the house with the small AC blower going the whole day and all the blinds closed. If that became more common my basement would get comfortably renovated in a short time.

It's been a great year for the garden. Beats getting snowed on in July. I'm guessing that back in 1910, it was pretty hot, that was the year of the great fire that burned much of north Idaho.

Having been working nights for seems forever, I have always had a window AC unit in the bedroom. During the "heat wave" that 10K unit did finally reach its end point. Would only keep the room at 68 during the hottest times of day but the room is also upstairs. Even that 68 felt damn cold when I would venture downstairs to eat and come back. For a couple weeks there it ran almost 24/7 and last power bill looked like maybe $20 more than "normal. Central air can run up a pretty good bill. If you just want to cool 1 or even two rooms its not much cost at all.

Every vehicle I buy that is the only thing I demand or its a deal breaker. I want AC. I HATE the noise of driving with windows down. So I pretty much don't care about anything else but, vehicle has to have AC for me.
I was used to being hot until I got old and Oregon rarely got hot enough for me to need AC. Even working in Eastern Oregon in summer I found AC was hard to live with as it changed body temp too much.

Folks at the shop said that after 18 years the Dodge was low on AC coolant, probably haven't used it once a year since 03. Can't live in a refrigerator :s0093: :s0140:

I turn the AC on full blast (a setting called "Max AC" on the temp dial button) and it blasts the AC air thru the dash vents with a high fan velocity. I do that when getting into the car when it has been sitting in the sun and is hot, then once cooler inside I turn it down gradually - I set the vents for dash and windshield, maybe my feet if my feet are hot. I keep the sun roof closed because that makes it hotter - my car has a roof over that window that closes for that purpose, in my daughter's Audi I can feel the heat even with the shade on the sun roof closed.

I wish they made a cooling steering wheel - I can deal with a very cold steering wheel, but one that is hot is painful. I sometimes have to put water on it.

My Durango is nearly black, so it really REALLY gets cookin inside when sitting in the sun! Thankfully, the A/C is a Superstar performer and within 2 min of starting it up, it can pull the temps down to comfortable, and within 4 min, need to be turned down to keep from freezing me out! My Sprinter is even faster due to the much smaller space of the cab, that bugger will freeze you out in no time! These are the first SERIOUS A/C rigs I have owned and now wonder how I went without all these years!
That Monday a few weeks ago when the temps in Salem were 117°, we had to take Dad to Silverton for a doctor's appointment, no problem for the Durango, it was when you got out that the shock of just how hot it was hit you! I left the rig running for the hour or so it took for the doctor to see Dad and get him squared away, didn't hardly brake a sweat the whole time!

Huh... a couple of weeks of extra-hot weather every 40 years or so, is all it takes to keep those Out-of-the-Blue "State-Invaders" away??? :s0155:

Shoulda thought of that years ago.... better late than never I guess :s0092:

They always say the hottest day since some time, usually a hundred years ago. What they fail to note in their ravings is that the world didn't end after that 100 year old event. It was a freak weather event. They happen. If this heat dome event happens every summer for the next few years, then I will be concerned.
Heat spells, drought cycles and ice ages are all part of this dynamic world we live on. These ninnies soiling themselves over a single heat event aren't worth my time.

It is true, my sister is the tightest penny pincher, and this last heat wave, she turned on her central air for the first time since she bought her house 21 years ago. My mom called and told me about it and was worried that my sister was mentally ill. LOL
It is the same with my penny pinching parents in Southern Oregon. This is my wife anytime we visit them in the Summer

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top