JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought that exact rifle back in the 90's and promptly painted/taped it.

I had no idea they were now worth something. Thinking about using the same stuff you did to return it to factory original. Mine has a heavy trigger, but is very accurate with cheap Federal ammo.

Might just sell it since I have much nicer hunting rifles now and really no sentimental value.

IMG_20200409_081734049.jpg

That does look good.

I was surprised to find out that people were collecting these rifles. My interest in them is purely utilitarian. If I can, I aim to pick up a 77/22 this coming year.

77/22 has always been one that I'd like to have, but I've got an old, full sized Marlin that I don't shoot enough. The 77/22 is not an inexpensive 22. It's a quality tool.
I'm planning to disassemble it as soon as I can, but have never taken one of these apart.

Do any of you have advice or tips to share? I'm hoping I can get the thing put back together without breaking something or having leftover parts.
Three action screws. Remove the one at the front of the trigger guard first, the rear one next, then the one at the front of the floorplate that threads upward/forward at a 45 degree angle last. The stock will come right off and the only thing that isn't part of the barreled action, stock or floorplate is the magazine box. It only goes back in one way, but it's really obvious if you take a peek before you let it fall on the floor. The trigger assembly is solidly attached, but pretty much in the open which makes for easy cleaning and maintenance.
When reassembling, lightly start all three action screws, then really tighten the front one, then not so tight on the rear, and finally snug down, but don't tighten aggressively the screw at the front of the trigger guard. Not much to it. Ruger will send you an owners manual for free.

77/22 has always been one that I'd like to have, but I've got an old, full sized Marlin that I don't shoot enough. The 77/22 is not an inexpensive 22. It's a quality tool.

Three action screws. Remove the one at the front of the trigger guard first, the rear one next, then the one at the front of the floorplate that threads upward/forward at a 45 degree angle last. The stock will come right off and the only thing that isn't part of the barreled action, stock or floorplate is the magazine box. It only goes back in one way, but it's really obvious if you take a peek before you let it fall on the floor. The trigger assembly is solidly attached, but pretty much in the open which makes for easy cleaning and maintenance.
When reassembling, lightly start all three action screws, then really tighten the front one, then not so tight on the rear, and finally snug down, but don't tighten aggressively the screw at the front of the trigger guard. Not much to it. Ruger will send you an owners manual for free.

Thanks. I do have an owner's manual, but there's nothing like hearing from someone who's already done the job.

Thanks again, friend.

The screws weren't very tight. I'm thinking of cinching them down and using Loctite when I reassemble the rifle.

608802DE-D1DD-4093-B3E2-7AFCA8674C22.jpeg

Ordinarily, I would agree as Ruger has a reputation for more workman-like finishes. However, I have a Ruger Mark II RL in .223, blue with wood stock. It's one of my nicer looking rifles with a deep blue. Only the bolt is stainless. It dates to 1991 and I bought it new. I was too cheap to buy a new scope, so it sports an ancient Weaver KV 2-7 scope on it. The RL was their lightest version of the MK II.

View attachment 756718
I agree.
M77 is a nice-looking, modern Mauser design.
I have a 1983 25-06 that has shot into one hole at 100 yards.

All done for now. I didn't detail the gun with toothpicks, Q-tips, and toothbrushes - but it looks good enough for now.

I didn't find any damage to the rifle at all. The bore had a little bit of dust in it, but that's all.

C552EE38-FB8A-4761-8491-555A92FD7B43.jpeg
C31D9A63-0780-4F7E-817D-8B02CE24A4F6.jpeg
264278EA-A644-46C3-B70D-3C8D405AE849.jpeg
CCD84978-0D65-44DF-B87B-5A9509BB2FB9.jpeg
FE40AF88-223F-4655-BE55-403BA229D144.jpeg
26CFB355-6142-4536-A0A4-F9FEFD026B8C.jpeg
C0322BD4-2A0E-40F8-9B0F-82C5E5BC76B0.jpeg

Thanks. It was a bit like a treasure hunt - I didn't know if I had bought a useful rifle, or a used-up rifle. Fun process, getting it uncovered and cleaned up.

I think it has a lot of useful years left in it.

When you go looking for a stock, make sure that you get a 77MKII stock, not one for an earlier 77 with the tang safety. You'll want one for a long action, standard barrel, not the heavier "B" barrel of the long action magnums or one for a MKII Target. Those will fit, but will leave a gap around the barrel.
Hang onto, or at least make your self aware of the value before you part with that boatpaddle stock.
I checked into Boyd's Stocks for another project and they make some super nice stuff. Might want to check them out just for fun.

I'll be keeping the stock. The rugged durability of the rifle is part of what I like about it. If it gets dropped or scraped, it won't make much difference to the boat paddle.

A bit off topic:
I have a Ruger M77 MKll Target in .308 I bought back in the 90s. Really nice rifle. I have thought about having the action bedded. Does anyone know a gunsmith who knows how to bed a Ruger? My understanding is that the slanted front screw can be problematic, and that gunsmiths who only know bedding vertical screw actions like the Remington 700 action may not be able to do it. I don't know if this is true...but I would like to find a Smith that haas experience with the Ruger action.

A bit off topic:
I have a Ruger M77 MKll Target in .308 I bought back in the 90s. Really nice rifle. I have thought about having the action bedded. Does anyone know a gunsmith who knows how to bed a Ruger? My understanding is that the slanted front screw can be problematic, and that gunsmiths who only know bedding vertical screw actions like the Remington 700 action may not be able to do it. I don't know if this is true...but I would like to find a Smith that haas experience with the Ruger action.

Sorry, I don't know anything about that. Hopefully someone else here does.

A bit off topic:
It's a little unique, but shouldn't be that difficult.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews