JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings from a short-time lurking new member and 10+ year Oregonian (originally from London).

I'm not currently a gun owner but it's something I've been interested in for many years and now I think it's time to - oh god, here comes the terrible pun! - pull the trigger. My nickname implies my primary area of interest, which is older firearms. Well, old'ish anyway - specifically, I like early- to mid-20th century, military arms. So you will probably and correctly guess that Ian "Gun Jesus" McCollum's Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel is my all-time favorite. Paul Harrell's channel, which I love for his practical approach and ultra-dry humor, comes a close second.

However, chatting about old guns is not the primary reason why I signed up. The first order of business is that I'm looking for advice on purchasing a handgun for home defense in the Portland area. In particular, if you have any recommendations for good gun stores that won't be condescending to novices, as well as general advice about the process of purchasing a firearm in Oregon, I want to hear it!

Regarding experience, I should note that I'm not a total newbie. I have a friend in the Fish & Wildlife Service (who, while technically a special agent, self-describes as a "bird watcher with a sidearm") and I've been out on the range with him a few times, shooting his service weapon - a Sig P239 in .357 - and a .30-06 semi-auto hunting rifle whose make/model I don't recall. But that's it as far as practical experience goes.

Anyway, so that's me and thanks for having me!

Greetings from a short-time lurking new member and 10+ year Oregonian (originally from London).

I'm not currently a gun owner but it's something I've been interested in for many years and now I think it's time to - oh god, here comes the terrible pun! - pull the trigger. My nickname implies my primary area of interest, which is older firearms. Well, old'ish anyway - specifically, I like early- to mid-20th century, military arms. So you will probably and correctly guess that Ian "Gun Jesus" McCollum's Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel is my all-time favorite. Paul Harrell's channel, which I love for his practical approach and ultra-dry humor, comes a close second.

However, chatting about old guns is not the primary reason why I signed up. The first order of business is that I'm looking for advice on purchasing a handgun for home defense in the Portland area. In particular, if you have any recommendations for good gun stores that won't be condescending to novices, as well as general advice about the process of purchasing a firearm in Oregon, I want to hear it!

Regarding experience, I should note that I'm not a total newbie. I have a friend in the Fish & Wildlife Service (who, while technically a special agent, self-describes as a "bird watcher with a sidearm") and I've been out on the range with him a few times, shooting his service weapon - a Sig P239 in .357 - and a .30-06 semi-auto hunting rifle whose make/model I don't recall. But that's it as far as practical experience goes.

Anyway, so that's me and thanks for having me!
Welcome, you are in the right place. LOTs of members are in your area. I am sure some can point you to a good shop or two. Always nice to see another Citizen who wants to learn to shoot!!:D

Welcome to the forum! How did you like the Sig? I use a P320 x-5 Legion in competition when I'm not shooting the 625 revolver. Some of the Sig models apparently have soft, squishy triggers, but mine is quite nice. You said " home defense", so my guess would be you want a full sized pistol you're not worried about concealing? I'm sure you'll get ten different answers from ten different people, as it really comes down to your preference and comfort with any given gun. It can be useful to visit a range that has rentals, so you can see which ones fit you, and are accurate for you. If you're not concealing/carrying it around all day, a heavier gun is generally preferable to tame recoil.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Welcome aboard!

E73A68C9-6FA9-491D-A52E-CE559656C013.jpeg

Welcome to The Board, the bestest little gun board there is!

Welcome. As to your primary purpose mentioned. You said you are interested in 1st half 20th century military arms. I don't tell people what to do but your interest suggests you might look at something like a 9mm pistol from WW2. I'm thinking specifically of a Walther P.38. Unfortunately, prices have gone up since I last looked but you can spend a lot of money on a modern, quality arm as well. Last year you could've bought a Russian capture WW2 P.38 with import markings for about $650-700. But maybe not now. Some people don't like the Russian capture pieces, what with their import markings. However, I don't look down on these; all can be assumed to been used in combat on the Russian front, not like a gun that sat in a drawer in Norway for the duration.

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a WW2 relic occasionally so long as it was a good, solid piece. And you wouldn't buy anything othewise anyway. If you planned on a lot of trips to the range, you might want something else. But an around the house defense gun, it doesn't have to be new to get that job done.

Just an idea.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR