JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So if they were to have a receiver extension and a stock installed, could an OR buy one as a rifle?

Save the hassle of shipping and transfer BS. Just buy the long gun straight through you?

All depends on the dealer and your location. The dealers around me insist on a handling fee for receiving a firearm. No exactly idea...that's on top of the transfer and osp fee.

That's a bummer, I've got an FFL in my area that charges $20 total - transfer and BGC combined, and no 'handling fee'. Best thing is, it's $20 whether you're buying one gun/lower or 10. He's the only one I know that doesn't charge extra for each additional transfer - same day only, of course.

So if they were to have a receiver extension and a stock installed, could an OR buy one as a rifle?

Save the hassle of shipping and transfer BS. Just buy the long gun straight through you?

I was talking to a member here recently who is an LEO in Washington and had a friend from OR that bought a number of 'finished' lowers in Washington. If it's a built lower, in a rifle configuration, it can apparently be legally transferred to an OR resident as a rifle lower. That said, I don't know that NW Custom is in the business of building these out, and I think that would require a manufacturer's FFL license anyway?

At that point, it would probably just be cheaper to buy your own lower and pay him to engrave the NW Firearms logo on it - assuming that's legal and both he and Joe were okay with that.

How about that option @NWCustomFirearms and @Joe Link? I know this is a fundraiser, but if an OR resident can't swing it otherwise, is there an option to have the logo burned onto a lower they already own, for a fee, of course? If so, what might that cost?

Very much a bummer we don't have a specified dealer for these in oregon. When you add in transfer fees on top of the purchase price, it kinda out prices itself. Especially adding in shipping and osp fees.:(

Shipping is covered in the purchase price.

It sounds like you just have to pay the transfer and OSP fee that you would normally have to pay from an Oregon dealer...

Originally we were going to transfer a bunch to a couple of Oregon FFL's, but in the end it made more sense to simply cover shipping. Either way the buyer would have to cover the cost of the OSP and transfer fee (so in most cases it wouldn't be any cheaper to the buyer), we'd have to give the FFL a cut of the profit from our end, and we'd have to deal with tracking sales and collecting from multiple sources. I think the route we chose simplifies things (though I could be missing something).

I was talking to a member here recently who is an LEO in Washington and had a friend from OR that bought a number of 'finished' lowers in Washington. If it's a built lower, in a rifle configuration, it can apparently be legally transferred to an OR resident as a rifle lower. That said, I don't know that NW Custom is in the business of building these out, and I think that would require a manufacturer's FFL license anyway?

Good question, I'll wait for @NWCustomFirearms to answer :)

At that point, it would probably just be cheaper to buy your own lower and pay him to engrave the NW Firearms logo on it - assuming that's legal and both he and Joe were okay with that.

How about that option @NWCustomFirearms and @Joe Link? I know this is a fundraiser, but if an OR resident can't swing it otherwise, is there an option to have the logo burned onto a lower they already own, for a fee, of course? If so, what might that cost?

I don't have a problem with that, but I don't think it'd save anyone money. The normal cost for engraving is $60/lower. We got a significant discount because they were able to do all of the lowers at once. I'm brainstorming a few giveaways based on ownership of one of these lowers, so that might complicate things. Like you said, we are doing this to raise funds for the site. If someone did decide to go that route an accompanying donation would be appreciated :)

Firearms are not affordable anymore. This sb941 thing has caused everything to go up.

Yet another example of when government gets involved the price goes up and efficiency goes down. Of course the real problem here we're talking about a right and one which 'shall not be infringed' therefor government shouldn't be anywhere near it but I digress.

Are there any LPK and perhaps uppers for folks to complete their lowers??

Might be getting into some grey areas but I will double check into it today. Although I *think* that it's a no go. I think it will have to stay cut and dry on this one. OR residents well have to go through an OR dealer... but like I said,let me double check today.

Might be getting into some grey areas but I will double check into it today. Although I *think* that it's a no go. I think it will have to stay cut and dry on this one. OR residents well have to go through an OR dealer... but like I said,let me double check today.

Thanks for checking on this Jon. I hope the answer is yes!

I agree though, if it's at all a gray area it's definitely not worth saving $25.

Do these lowers come with a NWFA logo T-shirt that we were all talking about in months past?;)

They would if we had them! We actually didn't end up getting them, but it's still something I'd like to do. Once I recoup the money from these I'll be looking into it again.

Still available? I have a local ffl in Hillsboro that will also help distribution if still looking.

Stripped receivers fall into the pistol category on FICS paperwork, puts the kaibosch on out of state ffl sales.

Until it has a barrel it's still a receiver.
It's a government paperwork grey area, if a lower has a rifle tube attached it can be sold as a rifle lower, in a completely stripped state it goes under the pistol/receiver only section of the ffl's paperwork putting it into a grey area as described above. What it may or may not become by the end user isn't even considered by the atf who will be strictly after the ffl's license.

Isn't worth a license or pause in business for an ffl's to play in grey areas.

It's a government paperwork grey area, if a lower has a rifle tube attached it can be sold as a rifle lower, in a completely stripped state it goes under the pistol/receiver only section of the ffl's paperwork putting it into a grey area as described above. What it may or may not become by the end user isn't even considered by the atf who will be strictly after the ffl's license.

Isn't worth a license or pause in business for an ffl's to play in grey areas.
Well, I run an FFL and I can tell you flat out a compliance officer would charge you for that.

Well, I run an FFL and I can tell you flat out a compliance officer would charge you for that.

FFL here as well, I was simply trying to state there are differences between an assembled lower from the factory sold to an ffl with a rifle tube as far as legal ability to build a pistol from that receiver in the future and one that is sold stripped and open to pistol or rifle builds. I was not trying to argue your point but add an additional note in regards to why many ffl's simply won't deal with things that aren't clearly not going to be a future problem. Apologies if it sounded like I was trying to start an argument:) we have the Democrats for that haha

There might be some grey area lose personal interpretation of the law here but to keep things on the up and up we are going to keep things simple. WA residents can pick up from us and we will ship to an OR dealer for OR residents. I think that is probably the best and safest way to do things and will save a lot of "what ifs" lol

Given that we know some jackboots among the Kitten Krushing Mommy Murderers already itch for an excuse to put us all on the Kill List, prudence would indicate playing it cautious.

And if you think *I* have a bad attitude toward Feds, you should see some friends of mine who are old retired Feds themselves... they make me look positively warm and fuzzy toward their former employers by comparison.

Hey everyone, shipping materials finally arrived so anyone who has purchased already they will be getting shipped out tomorrow on Tues. Sorry didn't get them out last Friday but we took the kids to the coast for the last weekend before school starts for some family time.

Hey everyone, shipping materials finally arrived so anyone who has purchased already they will be getting shipped out tomorrow on Tues. Sorry didn't get them out last Friday but we took the kids to the coast for the last weekend before school starts for some family time.
"Nothing matters more than blood. All the rest are just strangers."
--Nicholas, patriarch of the Earp clan

Thanks for the update, amigo. This works out better for me anyway with the cash flows... :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top