JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An official letter from the BATF has the force of law.

What someone says on the phone, even the BATF, does not have the force of law.

No one is saying possessing these firearms is illegal (as much as the gov. would like to say that).

The BATF has said nothing about whether they are legal to carry loaded in a locale or in a vehicle.

What some of us are saying is that you risk your freedom by treating it as a pistol because an FFL filled out a form in a certain way.

But do what you want - I can't stop you.:rolleyes:

just saying, my FFL called Olympia and we filled out my 4473 for the Mossberg Shockwave as a pistol
this was just 2 weeks ago and it was not rejected

has anyone else actually filled out a 4473 in the state of Washington and NOT listed theirs as a pistol?
I already posted the letter from the BATF in which they state it is NOT a shotgun

so, we are not to believe our FFL or a bureaucrat on the phone from the Washington state Licencing Bureau or the document from the BATF to Mossberg?

well, I have mine, the State and my local sheriff knows I have mine and no one has pounded on my door at 0400 in the morning wanting it back.

whatever you want to call it - it REALLY fun to shoot!!

RJMT

<sigh>
No one in this thread has said anything about these being illegal in WA state.
No one here really cares how the Federal Government decides to classify these.
What does matter is people telling anyone who will listen to them that WA state calls these a handgun. There is a reason this is a sticking point. It has ZERO to do with what the Feds say. In WA State you are not allowed to carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle. You are not allowed to carry a loaded long gun concealed. It is why our permit to carry concealed is called a Concealed Pistol Permit.
No one has said anyone is going to give a rip about anyone having one of these. What people are concerned about is people listening to some say "they were told" its a hand gun here. Some are careless or ignorant enough to take that as fact since they "read it on the net" and treat a Shockwave type shotgun as a handgun. Sooner or later one if going to be "caught" doing this. By caught no one here is suggesting they will come to your door looking for it. Someone will get found to have one loaded in their vehicle or on their person concealed. This is where the "test case" scenario will play out. When some LEO cites the person for breaking the law. Again this has zero to do with a shop selling these or any LEO's coming to anyone's home to find one. It is amazing to me that adults seem to have this much trouble comprehending what is being said here on these. Again this also is talking about WASHINGTON State, since not all states have the same laws on guns.

after extensive research I found that someone did submit a letter to the AG of Washington to have several specific variations of "firearms" be designated back in 2007.

Whether certain weapons meet the statutory definition of "short-barreled shotgun | Washington State

I take it no one on this posting has submitted a request to their Wa state senator to have this done for the Mossberg Shockwave.

since I have no desire to carry my Shockwave off my property concealed (ordered a backscabbard), or carry it loaded in a vehicle off my property, I'm not going forward with this.

but, based on this precedence in 2007, we don't need to wait for some poor adult who has trouble comprehending this issue to be arrested before we get a reading from the AG of Washington state.

someone just needs to petition his WA state senator to submit this to the WA AG for a ruling.

Did you even read anything I wrote here? Did you read anything in this thread? Perhaps title of thread? What I "thought" we were discussing is the classification of the shock wave type shotguns. Some are "claiming" they were "told" WA is calling these a handgun. In WA state you can't carry a long gun loaded in your vehicle. So I said I was going to be interested in whether the State of WA actually did this, decided these were handguns. Since all I am seeing so far is people with no citations claiming they were "told this". So I am not willing to make myself a test case and try. As I said I have little doubt someone is going to be found with one of these loaded in a vehicle or carried concealed. When that happens it will most likely end up in court. That is what will be interesting to see shake out. Now is that clear enough? If, and I highly doubt this will happen, WA did decide these are a handgun I will be buying one just because I could carry in loaded, concealed in my vehicle.

Yeah I read it, I quoted you insinuating that in Wa we needed a permit to carry a loaded pistol which is untrue. That's all I did!

OK, found this today - the Washington state AG has been petitioned on the subject of the Mossberg Shockwave as a pistol
I have not found a reply:

http://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazona...g_AGO_Opinions/170228FergusonSheaOpReqLtr.pdf

"Dear Attorney General Ferguson:
Please accept this letter as request for a written opinion pursuant to RCW 43.10.030. It is my hope
to gain clarity on whether a particular firearm fits within the definitions provided under RCW
9.41.010. Accordingly, I respectfully request an opinion on the following question:

Under RCW 9.41.010, does the 590 Shock-6 Shot firearm (reference: Mossberg #50659) fit within
the current state law definition of "pistol?" "

I'm sure if you contact Matt Shea's office in Spokane you can get more information

RJMT

Rep. Matt Shea officially posed the pistol question to Ferguson almost a year ago. To date there's been no response. That tells me that little Bobby has no intention of responding . There's no percentage in it for him. If he says no, it's not a pistol then fools w/FFL's will stop sending in what amounts to registration paperwork (i.e. the state pistol form) & if he says it is a pistol under state law, then any of us with a CPL will be legally allowed to carry them loaded in our vehicles (have to admit, it would make a great addition to my bug out bag). I'm sure that he'll try to have them outlawed (along with AR's and anything else that goes bang) in the next legislative session, but no sense borrowing trouble at this point.
The only thing I filled out when I picked up my Mossberg Shockwave was form 4473. My dealer checked the box marked "Other Firearm" under question 16.

Just my opinion.

Barrel to short to be rifle or shotgun. Not a pistol. Length keeps it from being considered concealable (yes I know anything can be concealed) or an AOW. It's just a firearm. CANNOT be carried loaded in vehicle.

The thing about laws is no govt. authority will EVER tell you what's legal an what's not. The only thing official is the text of the law. ANYTHING ANYONE tells you is opinion and interpretation. Courts will decide facts. The only official answer is that which is tested in court.

I wrote the Atty General of WA once for an official interpretation and the response was "we can't tell you what's legal or not. We can only quote the text of the law."

Trust me when I say liberals will interpret law in a way that best supports their agenda. And just because something is sold in WA or any state don't necessarily make it legal. Case in point. Auto knives (switch blade knives) are illegal. In WA they are illegal. But you can buy them over the counter and walk out the store. A couple exceptions. Handicapped people can possess them, leo can possess them, active duty military can. But stores don't require proof.

Law mindset: if it's not specifically banned it's legal.

Liberal mindset: if it's not specifically allowed, it's illegal, when it comes to weapons.

So being able to buy is not proof of legality. But I own one and don't carry it loaded. Takes no time to grab it and put a round in. But I don't fool myself into thinking the law is going to stop me from being hassled by some democrats, if they are given half a chance.

This was just my opinion.

Last Edited:
Get a DIABLO and really confuse the heck out of any LEO!

DIABLO.jpg

OK, found this today - the Washington state AG has been petitioned on the subject of the Mossberg Shockwave as a pistol
I have not found a reply:

http://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazona...g_AGO_Opinions/170228FergusonSheaOpReqLtr.pdf

"Dear Attorney General Ferguson:
Please accept this letter as request for a written opinion pursuant to RCW 43.10.030. It is my hope
to gain clarity on whether a particular firearm fits within the definitions provided under RCW
9.41.010. Accordingly, I respectfully request an opinion on the following question:

Under RCW 9.41.010, does the 590 Shock-6 Shot firearm (reference: Mossberg #50659) fit within
the current state law definition of "pistol?" "

I'm sure if you contact Matt Shea's office in Spokane you can get more information

RJMT
It's been almost 2.5 years. Has anyone seen a response to this letter? Would like to see if it's legal to carry one loaded in the vehicle.

And yes, I did read every single post on this thread.

Thanks in advance!

I have sent several emails to Matt Shea's office and never received a reply

with CHOP and Covid 19, I think they have other priorities on their plate at this time

I did mount a saddle laser on my Shockwave and that is REALLY COOL

bright enough for daylight use, even in Eastern Washington

Probably just wiped his butt with it. :(
Unfortunately you're probably correct.
I have sent several emails to Matt Shea's office and never received a reply

with CHOP and Covid 19, I think they have other priorities on their plate at this time

I did mount a saddle laser on my Shockwave and that is REALLY COOL

bright enough for daylight use, even in Eastern Washington
I've installed a saddle CT green laser as well as a few other goodies and will be installing streamlight forend as soon as forend nut wrench shows up from Amazon. Just wanted to see if it was legally okay to transport it loaded or not. I guess I'll play it on the safe side until we hear something official.

I suspect the people in power will make sure to not ever answer this question as they know it is a no win for them. They wanted these to not be eligible for for buy it and walk out of the store. When one place advertised them as buy and walk they had to walk that back. So they wanted the restrictions but, they sure do not want to classify them as hand gun since then anyone with a CPL can carry them loaded. So they will just refuse to answer. I am sure some carry them loaded and will probably be fine. I would NOT do this in this state.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top